wachowski thread ready for a title change

Started by pete, May 03, 2004, 11:28:49 AM

72teeth

Doctor, Always Do the Right Thing.

Yowza Yowza Yowza

grand theft sparrow

MacGuffin

Wachowskis Reaching for Plastic Man?
It's not a stretch to believe this casting rumor.

We recently told you about a series of meetings taking place between Warner Bros. and DC Comics focused on bringing more of the publisher's superhero properties to the big screen. Now, there's a fresh rumor that one of those properties, Plastic Man, could soon be in active development.

A scooper for CHUD claims that producer and frequent Wachowskis collaborator Joel Silver dropped the Plastic Man bomb recently on a German radio show. Silver reportedly tipped that the Wachowskis will soon make the movie based on their decade-old screenplay, and that the comic book flick could even be ready for a 2009 release.

And guess who they're supposedly considering for the title role? None other than Neo himself, Keanu Reeves. All of this is unconfirmed, of course, but we could see it happening. The Matrix star was pegged by IGN as a good fit for the role in our 2003 review of the Plastic Man screenplay.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Kal

That would be terrible.. Plastic Man sucks, and the Wachowskis are retarded... I hope this doesnt happen.

MacGuffin

Wachowski Bros. to Direct New Superman Trilogy!?
by Erik Davis; Cinematical

There is a wild and wacky rumor right now, but according to a scooper over at AICN who watched a television interview with James McTeigue in Berlin, there might be some funky things happening to some of those much-hyped future franchises. The scooper, Ballack, reports back that McTeigue -- who mainly talked up his upcoming Ninja Assassin -- finished up with news that if Warner Bros. doesn't let the Wachowski Bros. go with Plastic Man as their next project (and they may not, according to McTeigue, because of a "major shake up of projects at WB"), then they could be the guys who reboot the Superman franchise.

Wha??? Supposedly (so says McTeigue), the Wachowskis have been approached about Superman and are "currently reviewing their options." McTeigue, who was supposed to aid the brothers in the second unit department on Plastic Man, says that if they do take on Superman, he'd most likely serve in the same capacity on that flick. Plastic Man, however, is a passion project for the Wachowski siblings, and so expect them to fight hard to make it a reality. McTeigue also noted that Bryan Singer is done with the Man of Steel, and that he's moved on to the Logan's Run remake.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Gold Trumpet

Good. If only for the reason I don't think the Wachowskis respect the original Superman films enough to just copy them. Bryan Singer was guilty of pure flattery with his update. It was ridiculous. The series can be rebooted, but it needs to take a complete 180 turn.

Besides, it makes thematic sense for them to be interested. If the character Neo of the Matrix is to be comparable to any super hero, it would be Superman. The seeming invincibility and savior worship associated with both characters has some interesting similarities.

Kal

I loved Singer's version and would like him to continue. Everyone and their mom knows the origins of Superman and all that, so I think its more interesting to keep going from here to where the character could go next... not so hard considering there are trillions of comic books... even Smallville is finding shitty ways to continue the story and keep people like me (die hard Superman fans) watching.

The Wachowski's need to do something original for themselves, go back to their roots with The Matrix and create something good (even though they stole The Matrix from somebody).

MacGuffin

The Wachowskis' Next Film Under Way?
Arianna Huffington reveals pics from the set.
by Jim Vejvoda; IGN

Could it be that the Wachowskis have been secretly making their next movie? According to The Huffington Post's founder Arianna Huffington, they are.

In fact, Huffington tweeted yesterday that she was "on plane to Chicago to take part in the Wachowskis' movie on Iraq from the perspective of the future." She later posted pictures of her on the set against a green screen, showing what she is supposed to look like 90 years in the future. There are also pictures of her posing with Lana Wachowski (p.k.a. Larry Wachowski) and in costume.

/Film brought Huffington's tweets to our attention, while CHUD speculates that these set photos could merely be camera test footage. Meanwhile, Cinematical speculates that the project could actually be the Wachowski-produced adaptation of David Mitchell's third novel Cloud Atlas, which Tom Tykwer (The International, Run Lola Run) has been attached to direct.

And what is Cloud Atlas about exactly? Here's the novel's synopsis from publisher Random House: "A reluctant voyager crossing the Pacific in 1850; a disinherited composer blagging a precarious livelihood in between-the-wars Belgium; a high-minded journalist in Governor Reagan's California; a vanity publisher fleeing his gangland creditors; a genetically modified 'dinery server' on death-row; and Zachry, a young Pacific Islander witnessing the nightfall of science and civilization -- the narrators of Cloud Atlas hear each other's echoes down the corridor of history, and their destinies are changed in ways great and small."

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

Jesse Ventura spills about the Wachowskis' secret sci-fi film
Source: SciFi Wire

You may recall the weird news that pundit Arianna Huffington posted that she appeared in a top-secret futuristic sci-fi war movie being shot by the Wachowski brothers (of Matrix fame). Well, now comes news that former Minnesota governor and Predator star Jesse Ventura may have shot something as well.

Slashfilm reports:

Appearing on Tuesday's episode of the Howard Stern Show on Sirius/XM Satellite radio, the professional wrestler turned actor turned governor Jesse Ventura dropped word that he just got done filming a movie for the Wachowskis. When asked if he missed acting and would ever consider returning to the big screen, Ventura dropped the bomb shell:

"I just did one with the Wachowski brothers..."

Ventura explained that he didn't know where this film is gonna end up, to which Stern asked "What is the film?" Ventura responded: "I don't know..." Ventura revealed that they didn't have a script, and the whole thing was done ad-lib/improv.

"Wait til you hear what they did. They brought me, and they brought Arianna Huffington in after me. Arianna was there, and they had her looking like cleopatra. What they did ... Do you remember what John Travolta looked like in that horrible film Battlefield Earth? They put multicolored dreadlocks on me all the way to here. They gave me this crazy beard that was hanging down pointed, looked like Travolta, right? And they put a third eye in the middle of my forehead. Because what this is, is this is a hundred years in the future, and they wanted me to talk about the current war in Iraq and how I felt about it. And so I got to vent, looking like this maniac in this whole outfit."

Ventura said he didn't know what he was doing or what the movie is beyond that.

Weird, huh? Stay tuned for more ...

Skeleton FilmWorks

Pubrick

another pic of lana from the same shoot as above:

i think it's cool that this is no longer all that shocking or interesting to anyone. it was only ever a freak show cos it was like hey they made the matrix! but since they've spent the rest of their career so far flopping all over the place, it's about as scandalous as the private life of any random has-been.

not that i think these brothers/sisters are has-beens. it's just cool that it appears to hav been true all along and now.. it's like, if kubrick didn't care, why should we.
under the paving stones.

picolas

at this point, improv may be their only chance to direct another good performance. so that's good.

MacGuffin

Larry And Andy Wachowski Shop U.S.-Iraqi War Tale With 'Hard R' Gay Love Story
By MIKE FLEMING; Deadline Hollywood

EXCLUSIVE: Little has been heard from The Matrix team of Larry and Andy Wachowski since 2008's Speed Racer crashed. I'm told they are circulating a new script that brings them back to terrain they covered in 1996's Bound, a heist film with a lesbian romance. This one's a drama that focuses on a "hard R" homosexual relationship between a U.S. soldier and an Iraqi. It's a cinema verite-style treatment that begins in the near future and then spans back over years that include the current war in Iraq. I've heard the siblings completed the script, want to direct it next, and that it is out to financiers. It sounds far afield of their trademark stuff, but then again, The Matrix seemed pretty far out when the siblings first pitched it. Will furnish more info when I get it.

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

The new Wachowski sci-fi film CN9? Here's why it's called CN9
Source: SciFi Wire

We're hoping that CN9, the new film from the Wachowskis, ends up more like The Matrix than Speed Racer. We're hoping that it treats its subject—the relationship between a U.S. soldier and an Iraqi in a near-future sci-fi setting—in a Hurt Locker kind of way rather than exploitatively. But meanwhile, we're also struggling to understand what the frak the title means!

According to worstpreviews, the Wachowskis are already casting what will be a "hard R" movie, with no word yet on when filming will begin.

But what does CN9 stand for?

The site speculates that the term may refer to the ninth cranial nerve, which is a glossopharyngeal nerve related to the tongue and the pharynx. We have no idea whether that's the take the Wachowskis intend, or how they'd spin it in a sci-fi way, but it certainly has us thinking.

Skeleton FilmWorks

modage

We've Got Details on the Wachowskis's Top-Secret Gay Iraq War Romance Cobalt Neural 9
Source: Vulture

For months now, Hollywood has puzzled over the Wachowskis (ne the Wachowski Brothers) and their Cobalt Neural 9 — a project so shrouded in secrecy that Hollywood's talent agents groused they couldn't even properly advise their clients on whether to read for it. All that was known from various leaks was that CN9 is a cinema verite-style film, to be set in the future, centering on a love affair between a US soldier and an Iraqi one. But now, Vulture has obtained intriguing details about the script. Caution: major spoilers ahead!

First, if you don't understand the title, don't worry: Our spies who read the screenplay tell us it's gibberish designed to inspire debate as to its meaning; it appears nowhere in the actual script.

Secondly, part of the film takes place in the future all right — nearly a hundred from now. But its main story is told in Cloverfield-esque flashbacks by digital archeologists sorting through "found footage" from CNN and chips from old digital cameras from the US occupation of Iraq. The heroes are indeed a gay American soldier named (with little irony) "Butch" and an Iraqi soldier turned militant. Butch is endearing, young, and a ravishingly handsome Marine. Our spies tell us that he, "just wants to fuck and kill everything" in Iraq — until, that is, he falls in love with the Iraqi.

The two meet while Butch is on a combat patrol in Iraq during the second Gulf War, and soon enough, the two are engaged in graphically-described sex (actual line from the script: "They rut like animals behind this fence") albeit while disguised in burqas. The two soldiers' relationship blossoms, and Butch begins to get to know his lover's family. But after he inadvertently draws attention to their ancestral home, disaster strikes. This tragedy radicalizes the pair and they become convinced that the only way to rid the world of evil is to kill the architect of the invasion, the then-President of the United States, George W. Bush. And so, during one of the president's secret sorties to Iraq, they attempt to assassinate him.

Currently, we're told that The Wachowskis are developing two projects simultaneously, and will shoot whichever gets financed first. One, of course, is Cobalt Neural 9. The other is their adaptation of David Mitchell's Cloud Atlas, with Tom Tykwer (Run Lola Run) writing the screenplay and the Wachowskis producing and possibly directing a few of the novel's six interlocking story-lines. (Unlike Cobalt, Cloud Atlas has already attracted stars like Halle Berry, Tom Hanks, and Natalie Portman, who are all attached, and James McAvoy, who has an offer outstanding.)

Cobalt Neural 9 would cost only an estimated $20 million, while their Atlas is a much larger blockbuster that would likely require studio financing to meet its expected $80 million to $100 million budget.

One rep we spoke to tells us that the Iraq movie will "never, ever" be made by a studio — but points out that with the money the Wachowskis pocketed from the Matrix films, they could easily self- or co-finance CN9 independently. Indeed, we hear the siblings had been planning to shoot in L.A., Germany, and Morocco as soon as next month, though that may have changed.

We'll keep you posted on further details, but the project may become harder to track: We're told The Wachowskis are demanding that all interested agents come directly to the office of Warner Bros. casting executive Lora Kennedy to read the screenplay on her couch, and that, in the interest of secrecy, they plan to change its title again soon.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

MacGuffin

Halle Berry joins Natalie Portman in The Wachowskis' latest epic
Source: SyFy

The reclusive filmmakers behind The Matrix and Speed Racer are stocking their latest science fiction project with an Oscar-caliber cast, including Tom Hanks, Natalie Portman and Halle Berry.

Based on David Mitchell's 2004 book, which tells six interwoven stories spanning a thousand years—touching on New Zealand in the 1800s, Belgium in the 1930s, California in the '70s, London in the present, Korea in the near future and Hawaii in the distant, post-apocalyptic tomorrow—Cloud Atlas seems to have overtaken the controversial Gulf War-set gay romance Cobalt Neural 9 on the Wachowskis' to-do list.

In an interview conducted after a screening of her latest film, Frankie and Alice, Halle Berry let slip that she's set to start shooting Cloud Atlas this coming summer.

It sounds like an ambitious undertaking—but if you can find faults with any of the Wachowskis' films, lack of ambition isn't one of them.

Skeleton FilmWorks