Locke

Started by MacGuffin, April 29, 2014, 07:51:18 AM

MacGuffin

Release date: April 18, 2014

Starring: Tom Hardy

Directed by: Steven Knight

Premise: Ivan Locke, a dedicated family man and successful construction manager, receives a phone call on the eve of the biggest challenge of his career that sets in motion a series of events that threaten his careful cultivated existence.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Sleepless

Heard a lot of very good stuff about this. There were some good articles recently on Empire and Filmmakers Magazine websites.
He held on. The dolphin and all the rest of its pod turned and swam out to sea, and still he held on. This is it, he thought. Then he remembered that they were air-breathers too. It was going to be all right.

Fuzzy Dunlop

American Cinematographer had an interesting write-up as well. Crazy to think they shot it in 10 days, with Hardy only there for like 6 of them. They did a lot of 80 minute takes of him doing the whole script, from front to back, and for the phone calls he makes, they had the other actors waiting in hotel rooms with sound teams for him to call and do their dialogue. Very curious about it.

jenkins

it's a guy in a fucking car, that's the entire goddamn movie. i'm not talking about charlie sheen's the chase, i mean it's like dean cain's lost mixed with buried by ryan reynolds. also, the soundtrack is straight outta the dentist's office, and the movie looks like grandma's visual poem for tom's bday surprise. monologues/soliloquies with invisible friends. it was torture to me

feel like i wasted by life's time by watching this movie, which i think is a really mean thing to say, but that's how i feel

Garam

I quite liked it. I like bottle episodes and a good one-act play. I don't think it's sacrilege for cinema to be un-cinematic. The film felt like half an hour to me and I never felt trapped, kind of like the main character...well, only character i guess.

It's one of those really rational movies that just take a character with a certain personality, puts him in this situation and then the perfectly rational outcome occurs like physics. It's not especially memorable or surprising, it just shows a decent understanding of this one particular type of dude. Stoic man sits in car and patiently deals with shitstorm. Should be the name of the film really. Don't know why they gave him a Welsh accent but whatever, worked for me.

It's tough for British films to get a modest budget at best, so i'm happy with what i can get. I'll take a dozen one-man monologue movies over one big happy-go-lucky recent history flick about communist miners on strike who also find the time to practice ballet on the sly. Soundtrack features The Smiths and The Cure! I think we have to accept that our best films are like plays. Some of the greatest UK cinema was on TV under the 'Play for Today' moniker. We're a pretty literary, non-visual nation that doesn't enjoy spending a lot of money.