New TAXI DRIVER DVD

Started by cowboykurtis, December 09, 2003, 05:56:01 PM

molly

Quote from: MacGuffin
Quote from: Gamblor du Jour
Quote from: MacGuffinThe value of my Criterion laserdisc with Scorsese's original commentary track just shot up.

Criterion released Taxi Driver at one point? Please explain.

:yabbse-huh:

A long time ago, many years before DVDs, there were these large saucers called laserdiscs. And a company called Criterion put movies on them. One of those films was called "Taxi Driver." Along with the film, the company included a listen along track called a commentary. For this particular film you could listen along with the director and screenwriter explaning the making of the film. A film called "Raging Bull" was also pressed to laserdisc.

on this picture de Niro looks like Tom Cruise.

Gamblour.

Quote from: Gamblor du Jour
Quote from: MacGuffinThe value of my Criterion laserdisc with Scorsese's original commentary track just shot up.

Criterion released Taxi Driver at one point? Please explain.

:yabbse-huh:

A long time ago, many years before DVDs, there were these large saucers called laserdiscs. And a company called Criterion put movies on them. One of those films was called "Taxi Driver." Along with the film, the company included a listen along track called a commentary. For this particular film you could listen along with the director and screenwriter explaning the making of the film. A film called "Raging Bull" was also pressed to laserdisc.

Oh ok, I guess I asked the wrong question. I was more confused as to why Criterion didn't get the chance to put these on dvds.
WWPTAD?

cine

Quote from: GhostboyIt would be so aweome if they put the Taxi Driver The Musical bit from SNL on the new disc. Aside from commentary, I can't think of a better extra feature (aside from the doc already currently available).
Dear Christ, I couldn't agree more. Turturro's impression of Scorsese was so good, it was scary.

bonanzataz

mac, that's not the cover for the laserdisc with commentary. that's the CLV edition, which i bought, thinking it was the one with the commentary and then realized it WASN'T THERE! boy was i pissed. anybody who wants the original commentary, get the CAV edition with this cover:

The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls

MacGuffin

Quote from: taz.mac, that's not the cover for the laserdisc with commentary. that's the CLV edition, which i bought, thinking it was the one with the commentary and then realized it WASN'T THERE! boy was i pissed. anybody who wants the original commentary, get the CAV edition with this cover:

Well, shit, what have I been listening too all this time? Mine is correct. I have the CAV version, I'm staring at it right now. It's same cover I posted, just that the picture of Travis with the gun has a black border around it.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

GoneSavage

kurtis, ask your friend to tell Marty to do a SE Mean Streets and Raging Bull too.  Those need it more.

j_scott_stroup04

Goodfellas is in dire need of another DVD, well more than Taxi Driver.  You have to flip the fucker over just to finish it!?!  What the shit is that?!?

There needs to be 2-disc spec ed DVD's of Goodfellas and Mean Streets, being as that's what Warner Brothers usually does (One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, True Romance, etc), and their needs to be Criterion versions of Raging Bull and Taxi Driver.  I would be a happy man and the world would be a better place if that were the situation.
"The sunshine bores the daylights outta me!"- Rolling Stones

"When I am King you will be first against the wall!"- Radiohead

Redlum

Martin Scorsese is said to be "heavily involved" on The Goodfellas SE right now according to a 'DVD's to Look forward to in 04' article in the Times.
\"I wanted to make a film for kids, something that would present them with a kind of elementary morality. Because nowadays nobody bothers to tell those kids, \'Hey, this is right and this is wrong\'.\"
  -  George Lucas

j_scott_stroup04

Thank Christ!  Any word when that's supposed to be arriving in stores?
I wonder what it'll have on it....
It better have a commentary track, because he doesn't do that enough, and he should.
"The sunshine bores the daylights outta me!"- Rolling Stones

"When I am King you will be first against the wall!"- Radiohead

Ravi

News like this makes me happy I didn't buy the original disc or the CE.

Will the transfer be new or the same one?

How about putting other taxi related stuff on the disc?  Episodes of Taxi or Taxicab Confessions, those messages from celebrities telling you to buckle up, etc. :)

meatball

Quote from: j_scott_stroup04Goodfellas is in dire need of another DVD, well more than Taxi Driver.  You have to flip the fucker over just to finish it!?!  What the shit is that?!?

There needs to be 2-disc spec ed DVD's of Goodfellas and Mean Streets, being as that's what Warner Brothers usually does (One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, True Romance, etc), and their needs to be Criterion versions of Raging Bull and Taxi Driver.  I would be a happy man and the world would be a better place if that were the situation.

I was just watching this last night. And the switcharoo did piss me off. I wanted to stab the television screen with a kitchen knife then shoot it repeatedly.

All of his films must be made into definitive editions, then released all at once in one glorious set.

Ravi

Quote from: taz.mac, that's not the cover for the laserdisc with commentary. that's the CLV edition, which i bought, thinking it was the one with the commentary and then realized it WASN'T THERE! boy was i pissed. anybody who wants the original commentary, get the CAV edition with this cover:

Well, shit, what have I been listening too all this time? Mine is correct. I have the CAV version, I'm staring at it right now. It's same cover I posted, just that the picture of Travis with the gun has a black border around it.

I just listened to the commentary from this LD (with the black border) this afternoon at my university's media library.  Scorsese is on most of it, but there are excerpts from a Paul Schrader interview as well.  Maybe I can hook up one of the VCRs there and make myself a dub.  Its a great track.

bonanzataz

maybe you could record it onto an audio cassette or cd and pass that along to me?
The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls

meatball

Record it onto your computer and e-mail me the mp3.  :lol:

Ravi

The back of the Criterion LD says it was produced (the disc, not the movie) by Isaac Mizrahi.  The fashion designer?