XIXAX: The Future Film by the xixax community.

Started by Thecowgoooesmooo, September 18, 2003, 04:50:05 PM

Sleuth

I like to hug dogs

Cecil

Find Your Magali

I am willing to help make this work!

I offer up my services as any of the following:

1. Script proofreader
2. Assistant caterer, in charge of cookies
3. Manual labor (50-pounds-and-under division)
4. Stunt corpse

Anachronism

My partner and I have just decided to creat a whole slew of test shorts to better familiarize ourselves with varying techniques, this sounds like something we could have alot of fun with. Count us in.

Duck Sauce

I cant offer my services for the actual making of the film but I will sure as hell be there to try to criticize it in the end    :wink:

if any of you ever make it big time or even medium time, get in contact with me as Id love to come visit the set

Monsoon

I like the idea of this board putting a cohesive project together a lot.  However there are quite a few logistical problems of course.  For one thing, geographically many of us are pretty separate and not blessed with a great deal of free time in the schedule and cash to rendezvous in a certain city for production.  Couple that with the problems of egos and I think a mess could be inevitable.  But I still think the idea stands a good chance if done a certain way, with some democracy involved so that no one (or at least most interested parties) feels left out and everyone has a certain amount of freedom to put forth their creative best and their own personality.  Anyway, I appreciate that I'm kind of a newbie with this being only my second post and all  ( :oops: awww shucks) but if I may propose a template that might work:

As mentioned before, we could do a series of short films and collaborate with whoever from Xixax it is convenient to work with or whoever you want to work with.  We decide with something resembling a consensus or some kind of vote what sort of ground rules to lay down to provide cohesion to the project.  For example, all films should be under 10 minutes, must employ a theme of internet message boards, mention Xixax at some point, somehow involve certain things that are symbolic of Xixax (if there are such things), whatever sort of guidelines we set down.  Similar things have been done with short film fest concepts like the 48-hour film fest, 24-hour film fest etc. and a few years back there was a series of films done about the coming of Y2K (of which Don McKellar's "Last Night" was one).
The thought that stops thought is the thought that ought to be stopped.

picolas

Quote from: MonsoonFor example, all films should be under 10 minutes, must employ a theme of internet message boards, mention Xixax at some point, somehow involve certain things that are symbolic of Xixax (if there are such things), whatever sort of guidelines we set down.  Similar things have been done with short film fest concepts like the 48-hour film fest, 24-hour film fest etc. and a few years back there was a series of films done about the coming of Y2K (of which Don McKellar's "Last Night" was one).
although that's a good idea and i like it, i prefer the everyone's given the same script thing... we just need an impartial party to write it and a due date and we're good.. maybe this should be a poll..

aclockworkjj

I make a mean ass cup of coffee if you guys need that for yer Xixax Xpendatures movie????

Jeremy Blackman

Who would the "impartial party" be? Should we take volunteers? And maybe a new poll thread is necessary once we figure out what we're voting on.

©brad

well i don't have the right stuff to make one, but i would luv to write the script for u guys. does it have to be an impartial party?

MacGuffin

Quote from: Jeremy BlackmanWho should the "impartial party" be?

budgie.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

thedog

I've never seen project greenlight so correct me if I'm wrong. But the basic idea is everyone gets about five or seven pages of dialogue, with nothing BUT dialogue (no "This guy walks up to that guy" or "this guy starts eating an orange" or anything), and it's the director's job to decide how it's going to go down? If that's the case, then that sounds like a lot of fun and even I might want to try doing that.

budgie

Quote from: MacGuffin
Quote from: Jeremy BlackmanWho should the "impartial party" be?

budgie.

I hate dialogue.

I will be happy to impartially choose a script, however. And I'm a fast reader. All we need is a deadline and a word count. Subject open.

And no Lynch rip offs trying to win my favor, I'm not that shallow.

MacGuffin

Quote from: thedogBut idea is everyone gets about five or seven pages of dialogue, with nothing BUT dialogue (no "This guy walks up to that guy" or "this guy starts eating an orange" or anything), and it's the director's job to decide how it's going to go down?

Just so you get the idea, here are the words from the Project Greenlight script:

"Oh, hey, I didn't see you."
"Well, I saw you."
"You did?"
"Yeah."
"What exactly did you see?"
"I saw enough."
"Enough?"
"What is that anyway?"
"What?"
"That right there. Where did he/she/you/it/they go?"
"Nothing."
"Nothing? What's going on here?"
"Just got here."
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

©brad

okay, that's what i thought- no action paragraphs or character descriptions, b/c obviously its up to the director to interpret the dialogue in his/her own way.

a couple questions;

how long should it be? (as short as this example? i think we should aim for sumthing a little longer)
any limitations in the number of characters?
how exactly is this thing related to XIXAX content-wise, or is it at all? i was a little confused on that part. we can write just a random script, yes? it doesn't have to be based on members here or anything like that.