Brilliance In Dialogue

Started by SoNowThen, September 11, 2003, 01:15:08 PM

Banky

Quote from: NEON MERCURYDogma............................................

fuck yeah.  Fuck all the KS haters.

Mazoku

I like this dialogue they have in the fridge in the Movie Go, I can't quote in detail what they say but I like it that after they were try to figure out a famous guy whose name starts with an X. The stoned one (sorry his name doesn't come to my memory) sees this cat in the dealer's appart and the cat is telling him what he wanted and then ends it with "you're gonna die" I liked those.
Other than that I absolutelly loved that dialogue over life and death Ricky and Jane had in American Beauty.

Humm Dogma? it's in that movie where the silent guy says, he didn't pay the tickets? (sorry only saw that one once! :() if so, that sentence was cool!

Banky

Quote from: Mazoku
Humm Dogma? it's in that movie where the silent guy says, he didn't pay the tickets? (sorry only saw that one once! :() if so, that sentence was cool!

wow

NEON MERCURY

Dogma is under-rated it's hard to write those ideas ..........for people who know it's a very PRO-CHRISTIAN FILM...which is alway cool......

SATANIC PEOPLE SUCK ASS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MacGuffin

Quote from: MazokuHumm Dogma? it's in that movie where the silent guy says, he didn't pay the tickets? (sorry only saw that one once! :() if so, that sentence was cool!

You mean, "No ticket!"? I guess it was cool...when it was first said in "Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade".
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Banky

Quote from: NEON MERCURYDogma is under-rated it's hard to write those ideas ..........for people who know it's a very PRO-CHRISTIAN FILM...which is alway cool......

hey now, no one likes a jesus freak

NEON MERCURY

..aw come on Mac..it was funny also don't ya think.?

i generally like k-smith.. he is a funny and SMART writer.....

1.0 the first time that i saw clerks and the whole chewlies gum set-up joke was brilliant after that joke i new i was in for something smart and funny...

.......... :arrow: and the joke about randle's uncle dying while him and dante are going to the funeral is freaking hilarious....

NEON MERCURY

Quote from: Banky
Quote from: NEON MERCURYDogma is under-rated it's hard to write those ideas ..........for people who know it's a very PRO-CHRISTIAN FILM...which is alway cool......

hey now, no one likes a jesus freak

...man...i am kidding about that ..but i don't agree with anything satanic people think/believe.....
i  am not a Jesus freak either... i just love him.. His Father did create us so i show love et al.

i will stop with the religious talk after all its a sensitive issue...

Cecil

i bet you dont even know what satanism is

(and no, i am not a satanist)

NEON MERCURY

Quote from: Cecil B. Dementedi bet you dont even know what satanism is

(and no, i am not a satanist)

::tries w/all strenght to close the can of worms::

i am just kidding its supossed to be funny  i didn't mean to offend anyone..

and i am not into satanism buit i assume it's someone who worships satan i guess................. its just not for me......

Cecil

actually, satanism doesnt really have anything to do with worshipping the devil. "satan" in this case is more of a symbol, about mans pursuit of pleasure, and that its this constant pursuit of pleasure that seperates us from the animals (ie: animals will eat because they have to. we humans eat because we have to, but also just for the sake of eating because we like the food. we also get to (somewhat) choose what we want and dont want to eat). unfortunately what i dont get is why satanists have to do everything in excess. for example, they dont have to do drugs, but if one would, one would have to use them in excess.

SoNowThen

Awesome :roll: ... it said "brilliance in dialogue", and very clearly stated not "hip" dialogue. Trying to be cool dialogue (which I like most of the time) is a too-cute kinda writing to fit in this category. So Kevin Smith does not belong here. As I said, Tarantino dialogue and the Swingers stuff and Smith, they're a different beast.

We're talking Brilliance here. Like the scene between the two detectives and Fink in Barton Fink.

Damn it....
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

mutinyco

The funny thing about great dialogue is that the only people intelligent enough to speak that way are the people who write it. Most people are nimrods and couldn't shape their thoughts so eloquently. It's sometimes difficult to accept idiot characters speaking witty dialogue.
"I believe in this, and it's been tested by research: he who fucks nuns will later join the church."

-St. Joe

SoNowThen

Agreed.

But good "dumb" dialogue is wonderful as well.
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

Cecil

i actually think its great (if done right of course)