Magnolia Talk

Started by Hazzlehorst, April 01, 2003, 01:45:40 PM

Hazzlehorst

Is PTA saying that strange things happen all the time and they don't mean anything at all, or is he saying everything happens for a reason?
"So how's Hazzlehorst?"
"Don't know, haven't seen him."
"He's back y'know."
"He's a bastard.  He's a goddam bastard.  And I've never liked the way he smelled."

Jeremy Blackman

He's saying that everyone deserves a chance, and that people are essentially good.

atticus jones

my cause is the cause of a man who has never been defeated, and whose whole being is one all devouring, god given holy purpose

Sigur Rós

Maybe he is trying to show; that with all these people in the world, there's always some strange coincidence taking place somewhere, and we, the filmgoer, have the chance to widness these coincedences thanx to PTA. He is simply showing us these lucky/unlucky people struck by coincedence.

:arrow: ...see where i'm going.....not even sure I do?

fulty

Quote from: Phe's saying that everyone deserves a chance, and that ppl are essentially good.
Yes,
unless your name happens to be Jimmy Gator.
Tinapop  

I used to be smart.... now I'm just stupid.

Sigur Rós

Oh! Thats what I call a cute dog!  :P

children with angels

What does anyone think happens to Jimmy? In one way, the frogs save his life (the gun getting knocked off target), but then of course there's the possible beginnings of a fire as he lands unconscious on the floor... So, does he die? Is PTA saying he deserves to  - and does - die alone, as Rose tells him, because of what he may have done (probably did do) to Claudia?
"Should I bring my own chains?"
"We always do..."

http://www.alternatetakes.co.uk/
http://thelesserfeat.blogspot.com/

Dirk

Quote from: children with angelsWhat does anyone think happens to Jimmy? In one way, the frogs save his life (the gun getting knocked off target), but then of course there's the possible beginnings of a fire as he lands unconscious on the floor... So, does he die? Is PTA saying he deserves to  - and does - die alone, as Rose tells him, because of what he may have done (probably did do) to Claudia?

In the screenplay, he burns to death from the fire, I believe.
At wave level, everything exists as a contradiction. Everything is existing in more than one stage/place at any given moment. Everything must move/vibrate and constantly change to exist. Everything, including buildings, mountains, oceans and thoughts.

MacGuffin

The man-eating frogs ravage his body until he croaks.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

fulty

Quote from: Dirk
Quote from: children with angelsWhat does anyone think happens to Jimmy?
In the screenplay, he burns to death from the fire, I believe.

Yes, and there is also an interview with PTA where he says something like "this guy's gotta burn".
The zoom in shot of "but it did happen" in Claudia's apartment after the frogs confirms that daddy was a bad boy.  

There is an interesting parallel of Jimmy's attempted suicide in the opening of the movie when Sydney jumps off the building to commit suicide, but is instead shot accidentally by his own mother, dying perhaps more painfully.  
Jimmy is denied the quick painless death, and instead is done in by a fire started by a TV set.  Television was the source of his success.
Tinapop  

I used to be smart.... now I'm just stupid.

children with angels

The zoom in shot of "but it did happen" in Claudia's apartment after the frogs confirms that daddy was a bad boy.  

I always thought that referred to the frogs, not to Jimmy's past - you know: as in "this is something that hapens...". That's a really interesting way of looking at it, particularly when you consider that the art piece was made by Fiona Apple, and wasn't she raped by her uncle or something...?
"Should I bring my own chains?"
"We always do..."

http://www.alternatetakes.co.uk/
http://thelesserfeat.blogspot.com/

Dirk

Quote from: children with angelsI always thought that referred to the frogs, not to Jimmy's past - you know: as in "this is something that hapens...". That's a really interesting way of looking at it, particularly when you consider that the art piece was made by Fiona Apple, and wasn't she raped by her uncle or something...?

I thought of it the same way as you children with angels. And I think Fiona was raped by a stranger.
At wave level, everything exists as a contradiction. Everything is existing in more than one stage/place at any given moment. Everything must move/vibrate and constantly change to exist. Everything, including buildings, mountains, oceans and thoughts.

neatahwanta

Jimi Hendrix, I believe.

I sorta thought paul went over the edge with the "but it did happen" thing, but when I think about it, it adds to the climax of the whole moment in time.

Pubrick

Quote from: neatahwantait adds to the climax of the whole moment in time.
yep.
under the paving stones.

Victor

in the script it does have jimmy die in the burning house, but the movie just hints at it. the movies about forgiveness, and it literally asks you, "what can we forgive?". well, can you forgive jimmy? the movie leaves it up to you, lets you decide if jimmy should burn or not. i think he should, but thats me.
are you gonna eat with us too?