Heroes

Started by grand theft sparrow, September 25, 2006, 08:37:06 PM

Pubrick

let's delete the thread and pretend this never happened.
under the paving stones.

Kal

i only watched a couple of episodes and i wasnt so excited... im downloading all the episodes but havent watched. everytime i have time to see something and i have to decide between this, friday night lights, the office, or californication, i never seem to pick heroes.

cine

its still been good but theres a LOT of mini-stories happening right now. i think they're going into ep 6 and there's gotta be at least 10 separate stories going on. so i trust they'll start to intersect sooner than later.

MacGuffin

'Heroes' Creator Apologizes to Fans
Tim Kring admits mistakes were made at the beginning of season 2, but promises to get back on track
Source: Entertainment Weekly

On the chilly Monday morning that Hollywood's writers went on strike, Heroes creator Tim Kring called from the streets outside the Hollywood studio where his NBC series is shot. ''Yes, I'm picketing my own show,'' says the 50-year-old writer-producer. ''So surreal.''

But Kring wasn't calling to discuss labor woes — he was calling to explain why Heroes, suffering a creative decline and a 15 percent ratings drop from the same period last year, went from Human Torch hot to Iceman cold. The good news? A turnaround appears to be under way. After weeks of sluggish storytelling, the Nov. 5 episode recaptured some of last season's fanciful energy. We've also seen the next two episodes — and we like them, too. The cliff-hangers are back. Narrative purpose has been discovered. Old favorites like Peter (Milo Ventimiglia) and Horn-Rimmed Glasses (Jack Coleman) take center stage. Even more encouraging: Kring himself is keenly aware that Heroes is broken. Here's his candid critique:

THE PACE IS TOO SLOW ''We assumed the audience wanted season 1 — a buildup of intrigue about these characters and the discovery of their powers. We taught [them] to expect a certain kind of storytelling. They wanted adrenaline. We made a mistake.''

THE WORLD-SAVING STAKES SHOULD HAVE BEEN ESTABLISHED SOONER The premonition of nuclear apocalypse created a larger context that unified every story line last season. Kring now sees that Volume 2 (the first 11 episodes of season 2) would have been better served if Peter's vision of viral Armageddon had appeared in the season premiere rather than episode 7. ''We took too long to get to the big-picture story,'' he says.

THE ROOKIES DIDN'T GREET THEMSELVES PROPERLY New Heroes Monica (Dana Davis), Maya (Dania Ramirez), and Alejandro (Shalim Ortiz) ''shouldn't have been introduced in separate story lines that felt unattached to the show. The way we introduced Elle (Kristen Bell) — by weaving her in via Peter's story line — is a more logical way to bring new characters into the show.'' (That said, Kring says a few newbies won't make it beyond this second volume, which wraps Dec. 3.)

HIRO WAS IN JAPAN WAY TOO LONG Hiro's (Masi Oka) time-bending adventure in 17th-century Japan — where he mentored samurai hero Takezo Kensei (David Anders) — finally came to an end on Nov. 5. But Kring says it ''should have [lasted] three episodes. We didn't give the audience enough story to justify the time we allotted it.''

YOUNG LOVE STINKS Kring regrets sticking Claire (Hayden Panettiere) with a super-dud boyfriend and forcing Hiro to moon over a cutesy princess. ''I've seen more convincing romances on TV,'' he admits. ''In retrospect, I don't think romance is a natural fit for us.''

Yet while Heroes has finally found some dramatic traction, this second volume is pretty much a wash. The Dec. 3 episode has been retooled to function as a potential season finale — a move inspired by the writers' strike and a desire to give the show ''a clean slate'' when it goes back into production for Volume 3. At that point, Kring wants to craft a rebooted Heroes that can attract new fans and win back those who've tuned out: ''The message is that we've heard the complaints — and we're doing something about it.''
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

modage

FUCK YOU TIM KRING.  Welcome to Season 2, bitch.

now bring on LOST.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

diggler

all this season i've been quietly gloating to my friends who jumped ship on LOST for this drivel. the biggest problem with that article is kring operating under the assumption that his show was once any good at all.
I'm not racist, I'm just slutty

modage

wow, what a fucking waste Heroes is.  SO much potential.

Quote from: MacGuffin on November 07, 2007, 10:50:17 AM
'Heroes' Creator Apologizes to Fans

apology not accepted.  kring is the ratner of tv.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Pubrick

can anyone uh.. elaborate on that outburst?

i'm never watching this shit but i love to hear how bad it is.

be as spoilerful as you want.
under the paving stones.

Stefen

Yeah, I'm curious too. It seems like everyone was on this shows nutz, but now they went back to their wife and hate it with all their hearts.

What happened?
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

MacGuffin

So.... they shouldn't have saved the cheerleader?  :yabbse-undecided:
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

diggler

it really is horrendously bad. my roommates are still really into it and every week i feel like i'm part of an MST3K episode. The events play out as if they were cooked up by a group of 13 year old boys at a sleepover, only if that were true it would at least have some imagination.

for instance,

one hero, Pete, can walk through walls. When he touches you he can bring you through with him. He uses this ability to break a friend out of prison. However, at the end, when the two of them are facing the door to a safe they have to get into, peter forgets he can do this. So naturally, he uses his mind to break the door open (yea, he can do that too. in fact, he can do pretty much everything, except for some reason a bullet to the head will kill him... because hey, every hero has to have a weakness!) Of course, it takes him just long enough to do this for the good heroes to show up and stop him.

another scenario,

another hero can mimic everything she sees on television (or on a cell phone, product placement!) for some reason she only seems to want to learn complicated gymnastics as opposed to, oh i don't know, learning how to be a brain surgeon or something? she uses her ability to break into the house of these thugs who stole a backpack from her cousin that had some comic books in it (really).  they come home and catch her in the act, then kidnap her and tie her up in the basement of some abandoned store in hopes of burning her alive. (because you cant just shoot some bitch who breaks into your house. you have to tie her up in an abandoned store and then burn it down. i thought everyone knew this)

i could go on, but my head hurts
I'm not racist, I'm just slutty

Stefen

I bet Larry David could make this show awesome.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

Gamblour.

Wow, ok so I don't remember the last episode I saw (maybe the third one from this season), but I'm not caught, and judging from mod, diggler and others, I shouldn't even bother? That's good enough for me. I knew this show would end up terrible. All I ever did was watch it to complain about it.
WWPTAD?

Pubrick

Quote from: ddiggler on December 04, 2007, 11:51:10 AM
it really is horrendously bad. my roommates are still really into it and every week i feel like i'm part of an MST3K episode. The events play out as if they were cooked up by a group of 13 year old boys at a sleepover, only if that were true it would at least have some imagination.

for instance,

one hero, Pete, can walk through walls. When he touches you he can bring you through with him. He uses this ability to break a friend out of prison. However, at the end, when the two of them are facing the door to a safe they have to get into, peter forgets he can do this. So naturally, he uses his mind to break the door open (yea, he can do that too. in fact, he can do pretty much everything, except for some reason a bullet to the head will kill him... because hey, every hero has to have a weakness!) Of course, it takes him just long enough to do this for the good heroes to show up and stop him.

another scenario,

another hero can mimic everything she sees on television (or on a cell phone, product placement!) for some reason she only seems to want to learn complicated gymnastics as opposed to, oh i don't know, learning how to be a brain surgeon or something? she uses her ability to break into the house of these thugs who stole a backpack from her cousin that had some comic books in it (really).  they come home and catch her in the act, then kidnap her and tie her up in the basement of some abandoned store in hopes of burning her alive. (because you cant just shoot some bitch who breaks into your house. you have to tie her up in an abandoned store and then burn it down. i thought everyone knew this)

i could go on, but my head hurts

fuck, that sounds worse than that one scene of californication (which was the worst scene on tv this year).

i feel sorry for anyone who chose this over LOST. in fact, anyone who watches the two and still enjoys this show, from the sound of it, must not be appreciating LOST at all. they would be satisfied with a show that insults their intelligence instead of one that rewards it. LOST is fun to think about, this is just painful.

and i can't believe this is what modage did instead of going to youth without shoes with francis ford coppola, tim timothy roth, and alexandra maria lara.
under the paving stones.

modage

Quote from: Pubrick on December 04, 2007, 09:19:01 PM
and i can't believe this is what modage did instead of going to youth without shoes with francis ford coppola, tim timothy roth, and alexandra maria lara.
well i didn't choose Heroes.  i would've had to leave work early for Youth, which i was going to do, but i got busy, and everyone i thought i was going with cancelled so.... oh well.  the old me would've never let that happen though. 

but yeah, Heroes sucks.  nothing that happens on the show has any consequence.  its fucking retarded.  anyone that 'dies' can come back to life.  anything that HAPPENS in the future can be stopped.  nobody seems to learn anything on this show.  i only started watching this when it came to DVD after months of prejudice because i kept hearing it was a fun show, but it's really pretty mediocre at its best.  and at its worst, its awful and completely unsatisfying.  (even kristen bell sucks on this show!)  it is the un-LOST and anyone who jumped ship for this should not be allowed back onboard the S.S. LOST.  let them drown.  fuck them, and fuck Entertainment Weekly and every other publication last season that took little jabs at LOST while they touted this piece of shit show for being so much better.  it didn't occur to anyone that Heroes was in its FIRST season!  and LOST was in its THIRD season the first two of which were nearly flawless and the third of which had its ups and downs.  but Heroes could not sustain its muted momentum for even 1 episode of season 2.