Spaced

Started by Weak2ndAct, October 25, 2004, 05:45:05 PM

Weak2ndAct

Another show that's been mentioned all over, don't see it has a home.  So here.

Just got the three disc box set thingy, and watched season 1.  Man, is this nerdliest show ever or what???  And I say that with unabashed geek love.  The camerawork, references, and jokes (the spider combined with a rat!) are so over-the-top... I've never seen anything quite like it.  Sure, not every gag works, but I've found myself giggling quite a bit (Nick Frost's paintball death a definite highlight) and found the finale quite touching.

Don't know if I should throw in season 2 or play some Resident Evil.

PS: If you are a fan of the show, pick up the ultimate collection, this bitch is loaded.

modage

yes, nerdiest show ever, i love it.  pray to god they go back and do a third series like originally planned.  hopefully this will get a Region 1 release someday...
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

grand theft sparrow

(mod, why do I get the feeling that you and I are the only two people that will ever reply to this thread?)

It's really sad.  I've been watching my VHS copy of the Trio run almost non-stop since September.  My girlfriend and I are Daisy and Tim. She's very much the type of person to throw a party and cover everything in foil and I... well, I post on this site; there's no need for an explanation there.  

Hopefully, Shaun of the Dead has spawned enough of a cult in the US (I'm anticipating a lot of Shaun costumes in the Village Halloween Party in NYC this year) that the DVD does well and they bring Spaced out here.  

Just as long as no one tries to make an American series out of it.
*cough*The Office*cough*

Sleuth

somebody buy it for me and I'll respond here
I like to hug dogs

Pubrick

i stole it and its very good.
under the paving stones.

Pubrick

i hav never seen a show with more shining references. 237, i counted them.

Duane Benzie, no 'ard feelings.

u work it out.
under the paving stones.

modage

i want a region 1 dvd.  NOW.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Weak2ndAct

Never gonna happen.  Just break down and go all-region.

Bruce Lee

its kicks shiny ass but not as much as peep show

grand theft sparrow

Quote from: Pubricki hav never seen a show with more shining references.

Seriously...

Sleuth

I don't think they get that where P lives
I like to hug dogs

Pubrick

i just count the whole show as one big reference.
under the paving stones.

grand theft sparrow

OK, so if you live in the US and have cable and have BBC America, you can finally see Spaced starting tonight at 11pm EDT.

http://www.bbcamerica.com/genre/comedy_games/spaced/spaced.jsp

polkablues

I finally saw the first four episodes of this.  S'good.  But I can't help feeling when I watch it that I should just be rewatching Shaun of the Dead instead.  It's the same thing, but better.  And no Daisy, god bless it.  She's funny enough, but I think she reminds me a little too much of real people I know and want to smack.

Best line so far:
"Her name was Cassandra.  She's a psychic.  She gave me her phone number."
"This is our phone number."
"Man, she's good."
My house, my rules, my coffee

Ravi

This is a very funny show that gets the geekiness down just right.  It's not a cheap kind of geekiness where the fact that they made a reference to Star Wars is supposed to be the joke.  Its funny beyond that.