On The Road

Started by MacGuffin, March 09, 2012, 06:14:12 PM

MacGuffin

Release date: 2012

Starring: Kristen Stewart, Sam Riley, Kirsten Dunst, Garrett Hedlund, Viggo Mortensen

Directed by: Walter Salles

Premise: Jack Kerouac's seminal pseudo-autobiography finally heads to the big screen thanks to director Walter Salles Jr. (THE MOTORCYCLE DIARIES) and producer Francis Ford Coppola. The tale is semi-based on the author's trips across America, with fiction intertwining with reportedly real events and people met along the way.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

polkablues

I feel like the people who would most be clamoring to see this movie are the same people who would be least likely to go see a movie starring Kristen Stewart and Garett Hedlund.
My house, my rules, my coffee

The Perineum Falcon

I'm confused, didn't Salles say something about the need for this to be shot in b/w?
We often went to the cinema, the screen would light up and we would tremble, but also, increasingly often, Madeleine and I were disappointed. The images had dated, they jittered, and Marilyn Monroe had gotten terribly old. We were sad, this wasn't the film we had dreamed of, this wasn't the total film that we all carried around inside us, this film that we would have wanted to make, or, more secretly, no doubt, that we would have wanted to live.

I am Schmi

Hmm, not a bad trailer. Lots of familiar faces, looking forward to it.

MacGuffin

"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

jenkins

so, right, this as an adaptation of the novel -- yeeeah, kinda. it doesn't do for cinema what on the road did for literature, it doesn't tailor the rules or parameters of cinema for the sizes of the characters. that's what i'd most want, of course, but i don't like walking around expecting everything to be the way i want it to be

it offers scintillating windows into its lead characters, sal paradise and dean moriarty, readable transmissions of marylou, carlo marx, and old bold lee, and tbh i mainly felt awkward for jane and camille, not really a lot going for those two, and they were played by amy adams and kristen dunst so that bums me out

the complete movie evokes the lifestyle habits and focuses of the major characters, the highs and lows of their cultural formation. but i didn't feel much honesty, i couldn't believe i was seeing these people in their time and place, and well that's not exactly what it feels like to take drugs. the movie fakes attitudes to make its meanings. does an alright job. maybe it'd be better if it wasn't positioned as an adaptation? no, i guess not, a kerouac biopic doesn't sound better. this movie is what it is. pretty good, pretty good

seems like perfect timing for this discussion. i expect this thread to blow up