The thread where you embarass yourself with movies you've never seen

Started by Pas, April 28, 2010, 12:17:01 PM

Pas

It makes me happy to hear a fellow canadian talk like you do. I love my province but I would miss Canada should we separate.

La Guerre des Tuques was my favorite movie as a child, along with Tommy Tricker and the Stamp Traveler.

It seems to me that Quebec's cinema was much much more ambitious back in the 70s and 80s. Now all we try to do is emulate american shit. I mean actual shit. Used to be we had a culture. Oh well, assimilation complete, congrats USA.

You are spot on about quebec's star system. Imagine if all canadian stars stayed in Canada, you'd have great cultural products! Here they go in France to make money but live in Montreal still.

Vive le Québec! (i'm a torrie btw so don't think I'm an evil quebequer from with the Bloc)

socketlevel

haha i actually like the Bloc! In fact, it's the Tories (a past Torie, Mulroney) in the 80s that got rid of Cancon and got us into this very situation we're in. I know many voice actors that lost their jobs because of free trade and needed to figure out new ways to use their talents.

It's funny you say that because most Ontarians love the rest of Canada. Growing up everyone always talks about going to Montreal or Vancouver after graduating high school to live in both places a bit. It wasn't until i lived in Whistler i heard the phrase "ontarible" (something i guess they call us out there).  I got a lot of love for Quebec, and even though I don't want you to leave, i respect why a lot of Quebecois want to. It makes our country richer if we all don't look and talk the same. i dig diversity.

The only way to build the english based star system in Canada is to ensure 10% of screens play Canadian films. alas, we would only see the pay off a decade or so after it's enforced. because Canadian actors will have the option to go to the states to try and make it bigtime or stay here and be in shitty films that will at least be in theaters. then, slowly, as actors stay here better films will get made because other creative film talent will stay here.

i didn't know that was happening to Quebec cinema. and even though you probably have your finger on the pulse more than I do with francophone films, my guess would be that even with the carbon copy shitty American films made, you still have a somewhat solid stream of 2-4 good ones a year. I still haven't seen "incendies" yet, but it's still playing at varsity cinema near my place in Toronto. I will very soon.

big ups for a french Canadian film getting a lot of radiohead in their OST as well  :yabbse-thumbup:
the one last hit that spent you...

socketlevel

oh and i'll try to check out Tommy Tricker and the Stamp Traveler. never heard of them.

Pas

Quote from: socketlevel on April 07, 2011, 04:16:38 PM
oh and i'll try to check out Tommy Tricker and the Stamp Traveler. never heard of them.

it's only one movie!!! It was shot in english too

socketlevel

polkablues

Quote from: Pas on April 07, 2011, 10:56:27 AM
It seems to me that Quebec's cinema was much much more ambitious back in the 70s and 80s. Now all we try to do is emulate american shit. I mean actual shit. Used to be we had a culture. Oh well, assimilation complete, congrats USA.

We didn't even know we were trying to do that!  :yabbse-thumbup:
My house, my rules, my coffee

Pas

It's not your fault, your cultural-throat-shoving is just a consequence of your utter commercial world domination. I don't hold it against you  :yabbse-smiley:

DocSportello

Just read this whole thread so I had to post mine even though it's been a while since anyone has been here. I tried to order them most embarrassing to least. Here's what I came up with....

Haven't seen:

Lolita, The Killing, Spartacus
Badlands
Elephant Man, Eraserhead, Inland Empire
Seven Samurai
Leon the Professional
The Third Man
Gone With the Wind

Jeremy Blackman

DocSportello

I started Eraserhead a few years ago on a night when I just wasn't ready and shut it off early into the film. But I've been on a Lynch kick lately so perhaps the time has come.

Jeremy Blackman

I'm honestly not a big fan of Eraserhead. It's tedious and kind of silly. I can't blame you for not making it all the way though... I think I barely did.

If you liked Mulholland Drive, please watch Inland Empire as soon as possible. It's like Mulholland Drive, but on crack and in the gutter.

Relevant links:

My Inland Empire analysis
Inland Empire thread

malkovich

I've never seen the Godfather trilogy or the Lord of the Rings trilogy...

...blasphemy? or..

O.

Saw Citizen Kane for the first time last week. Glad I waited.

Now, City of God.
superb

Robyn

Quote from: KarlJan on May 19, 2010, 07:24:05 AM
Well, I've seen two Von Triers now. Europe and Antichrist. And I don't really know if i liked them or not. There were so many things that bother me. Well, I'm probably too young and stupid for these kinds of movies, anyway.

You're a fucking retard, 2010 KarlJan.