a visual defense of barry lyndon

Started by Jeremy Blackman, May 02, 2004, 03:04:38 AM

Ghostboy

No need for visual defense to me...even before the second viewing of this film, which cemented for me its status as a masterpiece, the imagery was enough to win me over completely.

You're missing my personal favorite, aside from the moonlight meeting with Lady Lyndon: the funeral procession (although I suppose its beauty would be lost in part by lack of motion).

matt35mm

Gorgeous movie.  I suddenly wanna see it again.

The Silver Bullet

Quote from: GhostboyNo need for visual defense to me...
I thought that was the joke!
RABBIT n. pl. rabĀ·bits or rabbit[list=1]
  • Any of various long-eared, short-tailed, burrowing mammals of the family Leporidae.
  • A hare.
    [/list:o][/size]

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: GhostboyYou're missing my personal favorite, aside from the moonlight meeting with Lady Lyndon: the funeral procession (although I suppose its beauty would be lost in part by lack of motion).
Yes, and its beauty is also in the abrupt but perfect cut from the death bed scene, and the sudden blast of the theme song. It really is one of the most perfect moments of the movie.

Quote from: The Silver Bullet
:twisted:

bigperm

Safe As Milk

SHAFTR

yet to see it.  Kubrick is so hit and miss for me.  It's on my 'to watch' list though, along with dozens more.
"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"

SoNowThen

Quote from: Jeremy Blackman
Quote from: GhostboyYou're missing my personal favorite, aside from the moonlight meeting with Lady Lyndon: the funeral procession (although I suppose its beauty would be lost in part by lack of motion).
Yes, and its beauty is also in the abrupt but perfect cut from the death bed scene, and the sudden blast of the theme song. It really is one of the most perfect moments of the movie.

Quote from: The Silver Bullet
:twisted:

Hahaha, I was gonna say the same thing as GB.

This wonderful movie also features the two greatest handheld shots ever...
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

mutinyco

Quote from: GhostboyNo need for visual defense to me...even before the second viewing of this film, which cemented for me its status as a masterpiece, the imagery was enough to win me over completely.

You're missing my personal favorite, aside from the moonlight meeting with Lady Lyndon: the funeral procession (although I suppose its beauty would be lost in part by lack of motion).

Yeah, I didn't realize it was in need of defense either. It DID win an Oscar for Best Cinematography. As per the funeral, the best part is that if you watch closely, the camera focus is actually on Lady Lyndon and HER grief, not Barry.
"I believe in this, and it's been tested by research: he who fucks nuns will later join the church."

-St. Joe

modage

Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

cine

Quote from: themodernage02;sjer gdfs;l ajkgl;ty
Translation: I hated this movie.

mutinyco

I'm not surprised, as he seems to be jerking off over its antithesis: Kill Bill.
"I believe in this, and it's been tested by research: he who fucks nuns will later join the church."

-St. Joe

modage

Quote from: Cinephile
Quote from: themodernage02;sjer gdfs;l ajkgl;ty
Translation: I hated this movie.
oh sorry.  i must've fallen asleep on my keyboard just remembering watching that movie!
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

The Disco Kid

This is an amazing movie and really needs no defense at all.

It is also a unique Kubrick movie in that it is his most sentimental. This is a dimension Kubrick really avoided in his other films, but here he really revels in it---And he does it with the best of them.

Just look at this juxtaposition:

This is a scene that almost brings me tears every time I watch Lyndon. It's almost so over the top, so insanely loaded,  that it borders on ridiculousness, but somehow Kubrick makes it work. And boy is it effective.

This...

(Why does he focus on Brian's party so long? Why does he hang on this shot? This is why:)

To this

The man was the master of all masters. Even though he didn't trade in the currency of sentimentality, he truly understood it. He could've out Spielberged Spielberg if he so chose, but fortunately, he didn't.

Pubrick

Quote from: The Disco KidThis is an amazing movie and really needs no defense at all.
for the hundredth time, that's the joke.

note to JB: never do anything this ironic again.
under the paving stones.