animal collective

Started by JG, July 05, 2007, 09:06:49 AM

Stefen

WHY? You should love them!

Oh, wait, they're not from Canada.

:yabbse-grin:
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

tpfkabi

I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

squints

"The myth by no means finds its adequate objectification in the spoken word. The structure of the scenes and the visible imagery reveal a deeper wisdom than the poet himself is able to put into words and concepts" – Friedrich Nietzsche

diggler

i had a hard time getting into this band, but i loved the panda bear release. merriweather seems to take a page from that style so i like it. their songwriting seems a bit more focused now (which some fans may dislike but hey i'm a simple mind)
I'm not racist, I'm just slutty

squints

i really wanna know why mod hates this band.

i feel like i'm going on a private witt-ish rant....but how could you not love this shit?

ps. i'm writing this as i'm listening to and jamming on the chords to reverend green over and over and over....
"The myth by no means finds its adequate objectification in the spoken word. The structure of the scenes and the visible imagery reveal a deeper wisdom than the poet himself is able to put into words and concepts" – Friedrich Nietzsche

modage

it's really grating for me to listen to.  the singers white reggae voice on My Girls makes me want to punch him.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Stefen

Quote from: modage on April 03, 2009, 10:30:51 AM
it's really grating for me to listen to.  the singers white reggae voice on My Girls makes me want to punch him.

That's Panda Bear. His voice is an aquired taste. It's very Brian Wilsonesque.

Avey Tare's voice might be more down your alley. Listen to Fireworks. His vocals on that song are outstanding.

AC isn't for everyone. They do take some getting used to, but once it clicks, it REALLY clicks.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

RegularKarate

I totally GET not being into Animal Collective, but I don't understand how his voice is "White Reggae".

I still think AC has yet to put out an album that is solid.  There are always amazing songs that I love, but there are also always songs that go overboard and/or get boring.  MWP is really only half listenable for me... but that one half is grrrrrrrrrrrrreat.

tpfkabi

i see what mod is saying.

sometimes when he phrases like that - i don't think he did this much on Person Pitch - it's a little annoying.

Stefen

Quote from: RegularKarate on April 03, 2009, 12:30:22 PM
I totally GET not being into Animal Collective, but I don't understand how his voice is "White Reggae".

I still think AC has yet to put out an album that is solid.  There are always amazing songs that I love, but there are also always songs that go overboard and/or get boring.  MWP is really only half listenable for me... but that one half is grrrrrrrrrrrrreat.

I used to feel the same way. AC had never put out an album that was all the way great. That was until MPP came out this year. It's really a perfect album and one of the best albums I've ever heard. Sung Tongs and Feels each could be combined to create ONE great album, but on their own, they're only half great. MPP is Animal Collectives Pet Sounds.

tpfkabi

Quote from: Stefen on April 03, 2009, 03:53:27 PM
MPP is Animal Collectives Pet Sounds.
Person = Pet
Pitch   = Sounds

I figured that's how he came up with that title, but I've never seen it mentioned in any article or interview.

Robyn

So have anyone seen (or listened to) ODDSAC yet?

malkovich

<a href="http://vimeo.com/34643803">Footage of Animal Collective's recording sessions from Strawberry Jam in 9 minutes</a>

It seems no one's posted in this thread for awhile, but for anyone who's interested... It's pretty cool. And they're currently recording their next album which is going to be released this year too, which is also very cool.

tpfkabi

Hmm, kinda interesting, but it would extremely interesting to see studio footage of them creating just one song from start to finish.

After MPP, both lead singers' solo projects didn't really make that big of an impact. I remember liking Avey Tare's quite a bit, though I haven't listened to it in a while. It didn't seem so indifferent to MPP to be ignored the way it was. Tomboy didn't make near the buzz as Person Pitch either. It was highly anticipated, but seemed to disappear pretty quickly. It did show up on some Best Of lists, but nothing like Person Pitch. Should be interesting to hear what they come up with next.

Robyn

New album announced. 

Well, in case anyone missed.

And this new single is the greatest:

!!!!!!