COLDPLAY

Started by Finn, April 13, 2004, 07:15:14 AM

Finn

Does anybody out there love this band as much as me? I particularly love Clocks, The Scientest, Warning Sign and Don't Panic. I think they're great!
Typical US Mother: "Remember what the MPAA says; Horrific, Deplorable violence is okay, as long as people don't say any naughty words."

Kal

I dont 'love' the band but I like it... I own 2 CDs and the last one is my favorite... and they bring a little bit of talent to our shit-saturated Music Industry

Raikus

Been a big fan for years. Definitely in my top 5 of bands.

... and I can't believe there hasn't been a Coldplay thread yet.  :shock:
Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky with one hand waving free, silhouetted by the sea, circled by the circus sands, with all memory and fate driven deep beneath the waves, let me forget about today until tomorrow.

mogwai

i'd like to state that i like coldplay...

...but if their next record hits the highest pretentious level i will abduct chris martin.

Sigur Rós

Quote from: mogwai...but if their next record hits the highest pretentious level i will abduct chris martin.

I'll help you.

SoNowThen

I'll third that, cos I'm getting worried.

Love the early EP's and singles. LOVE Parachutes. Liked Rush Of Blood more before I knew that every fucking teeny-bopper did.
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

Jeremy Blackman

"Warning Sign" has to be the most underappreciated Coldplay song.  :(

SoNowThen

That's a great tune. Really, they all are so far.

For underrated, I'd say We Never Change. "I don't have a soul to save, and I sin every single day".... chilling line.
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

phil marlowe

i don't like them, it hink i have some sort of chris martin allergy

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: SoNowThenFor underrated, I'd say We Never Change. "I don't have a soul to save, and I sin every single day".... chilling line.
I don't know... it's not really the lyrics that I like.

I've heard good things about the "Scientist" video. Care to comment?

Quote from: Jeremy Blackman
Quote from: SoNowThenFor underrated, I'd say We Never Change. "I don't have a soul to save, and I sin every single day".... chilling line.
I don't know... it's not really the lyrics that I like.

I've heard good things about the "Scientist" video. Care to comment?

it goes backwards...  http://entertainment.msn.com/netcal/?netcal=317
context, context, context.

Pubrick

yeah, apparently it's the first time anyone's ever done that.

PS I WAS ROLLING MY EYES AS I WROTE THAT
under the paving stones.

modage

i got Parachutes when it came out and enjoyed it.  although the album has a handful of good songs i thought it was more of a 'song collection' and less a 'cohesive album', although so many debuts are.  after yellow became SO HUGE i figured they would probably cave under the pressure and be relegated to one-hit-wonder status.  when i first heard 'in my place', it had practically confirmed my guess as it wasnt too exciting and seemed to be a song that could've fit right in on their first album.  however, giving them the benefit of the doubt i bought the album anyways and couldnt have been more wrong.  they proved to be a better band than i thought they could be.  i was shocked when i listened to it and kept  playing it over and over going 'this is good.  this is really good.'  disbelief.  now a year or two later they've become one of the biggest bands in the world and i look forward to what they do in the future.

also: i did get to see them when they were touring for parachutes and met them for a few minutes when they signed my cd.  it was funny because at the time they were the 'not-quite-as-famous-as-travis' guys, (and where are THEY now?)  there were even bootleg shirts printed up that said COLDPLAY that was a picture of travis and someone gave one to coldplay who thought it was very funny.  the end of that story is when i saw travis a few months later at the same venue someone had saved/brought one of those misprinted bootleg shirts and gave one to travis who also thought it was very funny.  end of amusing story.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Ghostboy

I share Phil's allergy.

El Duderino

Quote from: Jeremy Blackman"Warning Sign" has to be the most underappreciated Coldplay song.  :(

no, "Green Eyes"
Did I just get cock-blocked by Bob Saget?