Stories We Tell

Started by Just Withnail, February 21, 2014, 03:22:18 PM

Just Withnail

Director: Sarah Polley

Premise: A film that excavates layers of myth and memory to find the elusive truth at the core of a family of storytellers.

There's no topic on this? I was sure I'd seen it. It should definitely be talked about!

Such a brilliant testament to it's own thesis, this film. The way it brings Diane to life, through testimony and silent home movies and recreations, without so much as a single word from the person itself, it reanimates the dead, the way it brings nothingness into being, explosions into our heads, is just a completely wonderful statement about creativity. Not just the artistic kind, but even more the everyday kind, that lets people who are not there, be there.

This is a great double feature with Blind.

Alexandro

agreed. I laughed, I cried, why is no one here talking about this film and there's three posts on the fucking godzilla trailer?
go and see this, you will be rewarded with a great slice of existence.

ElPandaRoyal

I third this. It was one of the most touching movie experiences I had last year.
Si

xerxes

There was definitely another thread on this because reading that was the reason I went out and rented this. But anyway, I agree with everyone else that this is great and that everyone should go see it right now. I'm working on a documentary right now that deals with family history so this was particularly enlightening and actually kind of inspiring for me.

Just Withnail

Quote from: xerxes on February 26, 2014, 11:37:33 AM
There was definitely another thread on this because reading that was the reason I went out and rented this.

I was sure too, but I searched both here and through google and only found modage's write-up in one of the Top 10 threads. Maybe memory is just a sneaky thing?

xerxes

Yeah maybe. Was I reading about it somewhere else? Anyway, I'm glad it has its own thread now. Sarah Polley is showing herself to be a pretty talented director, although I haven't seen Take This Waltz.

samsong

this is streaming on Netflix now.  an utter delight.  it plays like kiarostami a la woody allen.  there's a bit where the meta-ness threatens to split at the seams but it holds together.  as rich and enriching an experience as I've had with a documentary in some time.