The 2010 Xixax Awards: NOMINATE!

Started by MacGuffin, January 11, 2010, 03:55:45 PM

Gold Trumpet

When has the selections for the Academy Awards matched up much to ours? People's personalities on the board will make sure that we don't copy and I understand that no start date for our awards is perfect, but this is just way too soon.

Pubrick

so again i ask:

WHEN would be a better date that would satisfy everyone? the answer is probably next year.

so in that case i ask that everyone below suggest WHEN would be a better date that would satisfy MOST of you:

LET THE NOMINATIONS FOR A DATE TO SUBMIT NOMINATIONS BEGIN!
under the paving stones.

Gold Trumpet

I vote mid February for nominations for results to come out early March, but that's me.

Stefen

Late Feb/Early March would probably be ideal.

I get why we should have them early. Not to have the academies shitty taste leave an impression on us, but with 10 best pic nods, I think it would be inevitable regardless of when the deadline is.

I'll vote either way. I've seen enough to feel confident in my lists, but there's still some stuff I want to see and the more participants the better.

Everyone can always pm me and I'll tell you if something was good or not.  
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

squints

i vote to stick with the current date...assuming that district 9 is better than port of call new orleans.

and my mind has already been tainted by xixax to assume that 35 shots of rum is the best movie of the year.

and i really don't like watching movies on my computer.
"The myth by no means finds its adequate objectification in the spoken word. The structure of the scenes and the visible imagery reveal a deeper wisdom than the poet himself is able to put into words and concepts" – Friedrich Nietzsche

modage

Nobody has to watch movies on their computer, but jesus people, did no one go to the theatre last year?!
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Gamblour.

Um, I'm glad people are eager to see films and vote, but I'm pretty sure every year I've done this, I haven't seen a large percentage of the films that get released/nominated for awards. I've only gotten better about staying on top of these films as they're released, but I still missed some this year. But my point is, go ahead and make it end of January, because if you haven't seen The Lady Foot Locker or P:BO"P",ANBS, you'll just have to see how they fare in these very important Xixax awards. Make it your own personal 2010 resolution to try harder and see films as they're released for next year's awards.

Even with what I haven't seen, I've got a great top ten and plenty to nominate and think about, so let's quit and start the For Your Consideration campaigns.
WWPTAD?

matt35mm

I would like late February/early March.  The XIXAX Awards are fun because we get to see how much love certain movies get from the board members.  Like any awards thing, it's not about an objective ranking of quality.  The most important thing is that people get to see the movies that they think they might want to nominate.  If they're influenced by hype, that's their business, and it's fair and interesting to see how that is reflected in the final votes.

Personally, I saw a lot this year and have a good idea of what I would vote for in most categories, so I would be ready to vote, but I'd rather wait to have everyone see at least a couple more films, especially the stuff that didn't play near them in cinemas.  Otherwise, the wider released films may win by default.

Reinhold

Quote from: modage on January 12, 2010, 08:01:36 AM
Nobody has to watch movies on their computer, but jesus people, did no one go to the theatre last year?!

i was busy graduating from college, having surgery, and finding a job in new york. sorry i let movies slip.

... but yeah, i didn't see nearly enough this year. i'm kind of ashamed.
Quote from: Pas Rap on April 23, 2010, 07:29:06 AM
Obviously what you are doing right now is called (in my upcoming book of psychology at least) validation. I think it's a normal thing to do. People will reply, say anything, and then you're gonna do what you were subconsciently thinking of doing all along.

Pas

Quote from: Reinhold on January 12, 2010, 08:56:23 AM
Quote from: modage on January 12, 2010, 08:01:36 AM

i was busy graduating from college, having surgery, and finding a job in new york. sorry i let movies slip.

lol please don't make us cry... if anything these three things should make you see more movies:

1) college= free time
2) surgery recovery = free time
3) looking for a job = not having a job = free time
optional 4) living in new york = access to everything

january is fine by me

modage

Also: in the past 2 months alone you reviewed White Ribbon, District 9, Fantastic Mr. Fox, Broken Embraces, Antichrist and Visioneers and liked(?) all of them. 

All I'm saying is: it's okay if you didn't get to see every single movie on anyone's list.  Everybody, please calm down, think about the movies you did see that you liked.  Use the next couple weeks to go to the theatre if there is something you are dying to see, or rent the films that have recently been released and VOTE PLEASE because it will be better for everyone if you do.  Think about the children.  Thank you.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Fernando

lol@pasrap crack

I hear you mod but I live in México and unless it's a blockbuster we have a shitty ass release date for everything else, all I listed hasn't been released here, only il divo is avalable and we'll make sure to see it, although sometimes if I really want to see a film I rather wait til is on the theater, cuz seeing a great movie in the theater is the best.

I vote for this:
Quote from: Stefen on January 12, 2010, 12:00:18 AM
Late Feb/Early March would probably be ideal.

but dont worry girls, ill vote in whatever date you choose just to avoid polka's rage.

Alexandro

indeed.
almost nothing has arrived to mexico yet and it won't come here until february march.
my list of awards worthy movies i've seen includes only up, public enemies, , the hangover, inglorious basterds, district 9 and the cove. avatar is no saint of my devotion. the problem is not nominating best director or picture, which could easily be one of those, but then you try to fill up the other categories and it's fucking desertland.

I mean no white ribbon, up in the air, hurt locker, mr. fox, julie and julia, an education, serious man...nothing but the popcorn fare.
mid february is ok, a bunch of those films will have been released here and on video.

squints

i drive an hour an a half away from where i live to see the ones i really wanna see (The Road, Fantastic Fox, A Serious Man etc) but some (Antichrist, Bad Lieutenant) don't come near oklahoma and if they do its at one theater in tulsa and its not for very long. I'm ready to make a list for what i've seen though. I'm easy.
"The myth by no means finds its adequate objectification in the spoken word. The structure of the scenes and the visible imagery reveal a deeper wisdom than the poet himself is able to put into words and concepts" – Friedrich Nietzsche

picolas