The 82nd Annual Academy Awards

Started by Gold Trumpet, June 24, 2009, 01:32:11 PM

RegularKarate

Complaining about the Oscars is a tradition I've lost the energy for... I think I've just accepted it by now that they'll suck and I like watching the train wreck.

I like Sandra Bullock... I don't think she's a great actress (certainly doesn't deserve an Oscar, but she knew that) and I think I hate all of her movies, but she seems like a good person.  It's cool that she went and accepted her Razzie right before heading over to get an Oscar.

I was a little surprised that Avatar didn't win a lot more awards... that's how little faith I have in the Oscars.

MacGuffin

Quote from: IchLiebeTisch on March 08, 2010, 12:38:37 PM
Quote from: Fernando on March 08, 2010, 10:17:28 AM
wtf james cameron
i didn't know james cameron married a walking corpse.

She's in Titanic, right? Man, she's fucking old.

She played the old lady's daughter; now she looks like the old lady.  :shock:
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Pas

Quote from: RegularKarate on March 08, 2010, 03:03:33 PM
Complaining about the Oscars is a tradition I've lost the energy for... I think I've just accepted it by now that they'll suck and I like watching the train wreck.

I like Sandra Bullock... I don't think she's a great actress (certainly doesn't deserve an Oscar, but she knew that) and I think I hate all of her movies, but she seems like a good person.  It's cool that she went and accepted her Razzie right before heading over to get an Oscar.

I was a little surprised that Avatar didn't win a lot more awards... that's how little faith I have in the Oscars.

she gave a shitload of money to haiti too, she's alright

picolas

she's a cool person. she just doesn't deserve the win this year in any measure except for box office earnings.

RegularKarate

Quote from: picolas on March 08, 2010, 04:57:56 PM
she's a cool person. she just doesn't deserve the win this year in any measure except for box office earnings.

No one is arguing that

polkablues

So to recap, re: Sandra Bullock... we would totally hang out with her, but it would get awkward when she asks what we thought of her movies.
My house, my rules, my coffee

Gold Trumpet

I didn't want to Sandra Bullock to win because I loved Meryl Streep's performance, but I also couldn't criticize Bullock because I hadn't seen the film. Has everyone here seen the movie and kept silent until now?

picolas

Quote from: RegularKarate on March 08, 2010, 05:35:03 PM
No one is arguing that
i know. i wanted to post that i'm not anti-bullock as a person. it's not completely her fault she won.

yes, polka. i would not know what to say if i ran into her. "nice.. persona you've got there. outside of films. and in some from a while ago.."

SiliasRuby

Quote from: Gold Trumpet on March 08, 2010, 05:43:49 PM
I didn't want to Sandra Bullock to win because I loved Meryl Streep's performance, but I also couldn't criticize Bullock because I hadn't seen the film. Has everyone here seen the movie and kept silent until now?
I saw 'the blind side'. Really subpar film but the performance is phenomenal. I'm not going to buy it, or 'precious' which I also saw so that's saying something.
The Beatles know Jesus Christ has returned to Earth and is in Los Angeles.

When you are getting fucked by the big corporations remember to use a condom.

There was a FISH in the perkalater!!!

My Collection

Pas

Quote from: SiliasRuby on March 08, 2010, 07:12:31 PM
I'm not going to buy it, or 'precious' which I also saw so that's saying something.

lol

polkablues

"You're really changing that boy's life."
"Nah... he's changin' maahn."

DISQUALIFIED
My house, my rules, my coffee

Sleepless

Quote from: Gold Trumpet on March 08, 2010, 05:43:49 PM

I saw it. It's exactly what you think it is.
He held on. The dolphin and all the rest of its pod turned and swam out to sea, and still he held on. This is it, he thought. Then he remembered that they were air-breathers too. It was going to be all right.

Myxo

As I wrote in the Avatar thread, I'm just not sure the average movie goer let alone Oscar voters had the stomach for Cameron's liberal beating heart message within a SF film. I think the back half (tree raid on) cost him Best Picture. Good movie with a not-so-subtle message disguised as an escape. Despite the spectacle I've still yet to hear from anyone who say they loved it. Many who say they liked it a lot.

©brad

Kind of with RK in that bitching about the Oscars is almost as lame as the show itself but I really need to get this off my chest because this year's show pissed me off more than usual. Internet friends, if you would indulge me..

In one word? Abysmal. So uninspired. So boring. Sloppy production. Baldwin and Martin were wooden, underused, and generally not funny. The majority of the people there looked bored as fuck. And I don't know if it's simply a nature of the films this year or pre-oscar buzz mania gone bezerk but the show is absolutely devoid of any real tension. It's so predictable now, so safe. This 10-best picture nominees doesn't do jack shit because just like before only 2-3 of the films have any real buzz and therefore any serious shot at best picture (HL, Avatar, and IB in this year's case).

Pic I so agree on the editing of the clips. And did you see the part when they talked about the jew hunter from IB and then awkwardly cut to Ethan Cohen? What the fuck. Bullock's win was horrendous, although she did give probably the best speech, but whatever. And oh oh - Mo'fucking'nique talking about how glad she was that her win was based on performance and not politics? Hah, bitch please. Your win was just as much about politics as any other, if not more so.

You guys covered everything else. I'm happy for Kathryn I guess, but if someone could coherently explain to me what the Hurt Locker was about I'd love to hear it because I watched that thing dead sober on Saturday and I haven't a clue, beyond the force-fed (with an opening titlecard no less!) "war is a drug" message.