Lucky Louie (and now Louie)

Started by Ravi, June 09, 2006, 12:42:41 AM

Reel

how is it that all of you manage to miss this show every week just like me? GOD DAMNIT!

oh, I remember.. Tv watching has become obsolete. That's right...

AntiDumbFrogQuestion

if anybody watched this past week's episode, Parkey Posey stole the show.
I think she's portrayed the first Manic-DEPRESSIVE Pixie Dream Girl on film.

Just Withnail

This just gets better and better.

SPOILERS

The strippers crying to "Sister Christian" is one of my favorite cinematic moments of the year.

Reel

JB would cream himself over tonights episode

Jeremy Blackman

Do tell.

I actually have to get around to starting this series.

malkovich

THE CAMEOS. OH THE CAMEOS.

:bravo:

If for some god forsaken reason Louie wasn't already considered god-tier television programming, it sure as shit better be now. Holy fuck.

picolas

as much as i enjoyed that extended cameo, and this ep had its moments, it reminded me a lot of the matthew broderick "acting" episode, which i think is by far the worst ep of the series. i don't find it funny when louie is unbelievably terrible at something. the idea that he had absolutely no innate sense of what hosting a talkshow should look or sound like rang false to me. i understand the idea of him not wanting to host a show or being in over his head, but there's no way he'd be that shitty at reading cards or introducing himself.

diggler

I think it was more in response to Lynch giving him almost no direction at all. Louie just didn't know what he was asking him to do. I loved how the boxing match went the same way: "Come back tomorrow". 

I also think Louis sort of overplays the bumbling nature of his character in every episode. He's the straight man and the environments he inhabits are always exaggerated. For instance, the episode where he's in the electronics store and there was actually a different actor playing him on the security monitor when he was complaining about it not being him. For all the emotional honesty the show explores, it's still very much an absurdist comedy show, which is what makes the poignant moments so jarring.
I'm not racist, I'm just slutty

AntiDumbFrogQuestion

I love how Lynch had that ironic line stating that hosting a talk show was "no big mystery" or something like that.
Oh, Louie.

picolas

Quote from: ddiggler on September 14, 2012, 09:32:20 PM
I think it was more in response to Lynch giving him almost no direction at all. Louie just didn't know what he was asking him to do.
but i knew what he was asking him to do. and i'm not a stand-up. generally people applying to be talk show hosts understand the fundamental idea of being a talk show host. i think the scenes would have been funnier if louie wasn't so idiotic. like if he'd actually tried but failed. i was much more sympathetic towards lynch's character than i was supposed to be because louie was so blatantly non-commital/incompetent.

Quote from: ddiggler on September 14, 2012, 09:32:20 PMI also think Louis sort of overplays the bumbling nature of his character in every episode. He's the straight man and the environments he inhabits are always exaggerated.
of course, but there's more to being a straight man than simply not committing to anything.

Quote from: ddiggler on September 14, 2012, 09:32:20 PMFor instance, the episode where he's in the electronics store and there was actually a different actor playing him on the security monitor when he was complaining about it not being him. For all the emotional honesty the show explores, it's still very much an absurdist comedy show, which is what makes the poignant moments so jarring.
yes. that's the fantastic mixture that makes louie such a groundbreaking/amazing show.

©brad

Quote from: picolas on September 16, 2012, 04:48:03 PM
Quote from: ddiggler on September 14, 2012, 09:32:20 PM
I think it was more in response to Lynch giving him almost no direction at all. Louie just didn't know what he was asking him to do.
but i knew what he was asking him to do. and i'm not a stand-up. generally people applying to be talk show hosts understand the fundamental idea of being a talk show host. i think the scenes would have been funnier if louie wasn't so idiotic. like if he'd actually tried but failed. i was much more sympathetic towards lynch's character than i was supposed to be because louie was so blatantly non-commital/incompetent.

Quote from: ddiggler on September 14, 2012, 09:32:20 PMI also think Louis sort of overplays the bumbling nature of his character in every episode. He's the straight man and the environments he inhabits are always exaggerated.
of course, but there's more to being a straight man than simply not committing to anything.

I had the same issue pic, and not just with this episode. He seems particularly incompetent this season. The way he awkwardly fumbles his way through almost every scene now with that puppy dog frown, ugh. Is it meant to garner sympathy? I also don't love how every woman on this show is either a one-dimensional bitch or total nutcase or both.

diggler

Quote from: ©brad on September 19, 2012, 11:33:49 AM

I had the same issue pic, and not just with this episode. He seems particularly incompetent this season. The way he awkwardly fumbles his way through almost every scene now with that puppy dog frown, ugh. Is it meant to garner sympathy? I also don't love how every woman on this show is either a one-dimensional bitch or total nutcase or both.

I don't really think Pamela Adlon's character falls into either of those categories. In fact, that same observation could be applied to most of the male characters as well.
I'm not racist, I'm just slutty

©brad

Quote from: ddiggler on September 20, 2012, 06:40:47 PM
Quote from: ©brad on September 19, 2012, 11:33:49 AM

I don't really think Pamela Adlon's character falls into either of those categories. In fact, that same observation could be applied to most of the male characters as well.

She doesn't. I'm speaking more of the women this season. It's not a big thing really. He's certainly not going full-on Sorkin with them. And you're right they're flawed like everyone in the show, and they definitely have every right to act crazy dealing with someone like Louie. We can move on.

wilder

HBO Sets Louis CK Special for April 13
via Deadline

Louis CK: Oh My God is the fourth stand-up special on HBO from the comedian. It will premiere Saturday, April 13 at 10 PM. The last Louis CK special aired in 2007, and of course he created and starred in the network's Lucky Louie in 2006, marking HBO's first multi-camera comedy series. Taped in Phoenix, Oh My God takes on topics like the food chain, animals, divorce, strange anecdotes, broken morality, murder and mortality. Louis CK wrote, directed and executive produced the special; Dave Becky, M. Blair Breard and Mike Berkowitz also exec produced.