Script Writing Program

Started by ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ, October 12, 2003, 05:30:11 PM

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

Anyone know a good program that might make writing a screenplay easier?  I mean, as it is, it isn't really tough.  But maybe something that would automatically set up parameters and shit like that...

So I don't have to go back and highlight and Crtl+I actions.
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

Pas

Final Draft is nice ... you can download it on Overnet if you want to try before spending.

Weak2ndAct

I've tried almost all the programs.  Final Draft is the way to go.  Well worth the bucks.

Gamblour.

The only I've used is Sophocles, and I think it kicks a lot of ass. I don't see how it could get much better. Never tried Final Draft though. www.sophocles.net has a trial version.
WWPTAD?

TheVoiceOfNick

Final Draft is like the Avid or Photoshop of script writing... everyone in Hollywood uses it (nearly without exception).  I'd use it if I were you...  :P

Nick

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

Thank you, I'll tell you how it works for me.
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

MacGuffin

But, in the end, it's the script that matters; not the program it was typed on. No one reading your script will care or ask you, "Great script. What program did you use?"
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

Quote from: MacGuffinBut, in the end, it's the script that matters; not the program it was typed on. No one reading your script will care or ask you, "Great script. What program did you use?"

Point taken.  

After checking Final Draft and Sophocles, the cheapness of not needing to register sets Microsoft Word highly above them.  It won't kill me to highlight and put actions in italics or go out of my way.  Even if the script turns out to be 100 pages or so...cramps add character...

Banky

i just got final draft and man it is awsome.  It speeds up the whole process so much

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

*sigh* Maybe I'll be in the stone age forever.

Ignorance is bliss.

Banky

TheVoiceOfNick

Quote from: MacGuffinBut, in the end, it's the script that matters; not the program it was typed on. No one reading your script will care or ask you, "Great script. What program did you use?"

This isn't true at all... script readers read tons of scripts a day (tons = about 20-30), so they know what proper formatting is... and if your script doesn't have it, they won't read it... it goes straight into the trash... I know someone who was a script reader, and he'd toss at least half of the scripts out because they lacked proper formatting.  Since nearly everyone uses Final Draft, the readers are used to the Final Draft formatting, so your script is more likely to be read.

Not to mention the fact that Final Draft lets you concentrate on the story while it takes care of all of the annoying formatting necesities.

Nick

MacGuffin

Quote from: TheVoiceOfNickThis isn't true at all... script readers read tons of scripts a day (tons = about 20-30), so they know what proper formatting is... and if your script doesn't have it, they won't read it... it goes straight into the trash... I know someone who was a script reader, and he'd toss at least half of the scripts out because they lacked proper formatting.  Since nearly everyone uses Final Draft, the readers are used to the Final Draft formatting, so your script is more likely to be read.

Proper formatting is done with Movie Magic or any other of the script programs too. I'd like to believe that if your friend threw them out it was because they weren't formatted correctly, not because they weren't done on Final Draft.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Newtron

What can I get for free that is really good, and where can I get it?

I don't want no trial version watermark crap either.

MacGuffin

Quote from: NewtronWhat can I get for free that is really good, and where can I get it?

Pretty much any of the scriptwriting programs can be downloaded from KaZaA.

Skeleton FilmWorks