Know Your Xixax: Donation begging and site news

Started by Xixax, December 02, 2006, 08:52:14 PM

Jeremy Blackman

One lingering issue, which should never happen again after the 48 hour propagation period...

I got kicked back to the old version of the site for about 3 hours, ending just now. Pubrick too. And Cloudy I think, and probably some others. I see that it didn't happen to everyone.

Some ISPs take longer than others to fully flush out their old domain records. Apparently some (or most?) ISPs have multiple sets of domain records and swap back and forth among them, and you have to wait for all to be updated. This would explain why I've been reverted twice now for a period of 3-4 hours, last night and then again tonight.

This might happen again before Tuesday night. If it ever happens after that, let me know. (Something would be very wrong and very weird if it did.)

Kal

Lottery

Recently made the realisation that the site wasn't actually down for as long as I thought, I simply forgot that I was logged out in the process.

Jeremy Blackman

Here's why the site went down today, according to tech support. This also explains the occasional slowness, which should now be completely fixed. (Let me know if it's not!)

Some other website on our shared server was overloading the entire server with traffic. Go Daddy will now be forcing them to use a dedicated server, because a website with that much traffic has no business being hosted on a shared server.

When a server gets overloaded like that, it goes into "network protection mode," which filters traffic or shuts things down so the server doesn't get destroyed.

They went out of their way to tell me we didn't do anything wrong and couldn't have prevented it. And apparently our bandwidth usage is completely fine. (We have unlimited bandwidth, but I wanted to ask anyway.)

Reel

Quote from: Reelist on September 21, 2012, 10:45:48 PM
The next thing xixax has to do is create a function to log or save links, videos, or posts and such. Similar to what 'favoriting' does on twitter. There's such a wealth of information on 'The Master' here, it sucks to have to go back and dig it all up.
Quote from: Jeremy Blackman on September 21, 2012, 11:26:58 PM
Apparently you can only bookmark topics, so it's limited. But you should find buttons for this near the top of the page on any topic.

when you mark something as 'unread' isn't it supposed to show up in your 'unread topics'? It's not doing that for me, thought I had it down. I wanna make use of this great feature so xixax is less boring.

Fernando

I miss is the xixax logo on the tab.

JB, can you add that or is there a reason you didnt?

Jeremy Blackman

Oh weird, I didn't notice that.

I'll take a look soon. It should be an easy fix.

Reel

Fernando

polkablues

It wasn't showing up for me the other day when he said it was fixed, but it is now. Give it a little more time and see if it appears.

Quote from: Reelist on April 08, 2013, 02:22:24 AM
okay, just dodge my question

I just tried to replicate your problem and was unable to. When I click "Mark Unread" under a topic, it shows up in my New Unread Posts just like it should.

But then, you can only mark threads as unread, not individual posts, so functionally you may as well just use the bookmark feature if you're looking to save a thread for later.

My house, my rules, my coffee

Reel

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: Fernando on April 09, 2013, 04:50:42 PM
Quote from: Jeremy Blackman on April 07, 2013, 03:14:04 PM
Fixed.

still doesnt show, neither at work or home  :yabbse-undecided:

Quote from: polkablues on April 09, 2013, 05:14:30 PM
It wasn't showing up for me the other day when he said it was fixed, but it is now. Give it a little more time and see if it appears.

It's working for me on all browsers. It wasn't immediately, though. You might have to clear your cache for xixax.com and/or wait.

Reel

xixax is acting all slow on me again today. It's all your fault, JB.

Jeremy Blackman

GoDaddy is having problems today system-wide, apparently.