looking for a specific mood

Started by Jake_82, November 29, 2003, 12:24:10 PM

Jake_82

This is kind of weird, but I'm looking for a movie with a certain mood/setting/look that i have in my mind but I can't place with any particular film... I spent a few hours on imdb doing keyword searches to no avail, so I thought maybe you all knowing film watchers may be able to help me connect disassociated thoughts to a movie. Any movie, it doesn't have to be recemt, famous, or good.

So what I'm looking for is something with a mysterious sea port with darkened skies and quiet streets, old wooden boats bobbing up and down in the water, ancient taverns giving off orange and purple light through their glass windows... the crews of the boats are made up of solemn individuals who all have stories to tell (like that Simpsons episode heh)... I don't know... I know there has to be a movie like this somewhere, anyone have any ideas?
your reality is at the end of your dream

Pubrick

i dunno, The Town Is Quiet? that had boats, and a bar, and was kinda blue.

check it out, it's french.
under the paving stones.

Jake_82

Quote from: Pi dunno, The Town Is Quiet? that had boats, and a bar, and was kinda blue.

check it out, it's french.

thanks, I put it on the top of my netflix queue. I think what I'm looking for is more old fashioned though, like something set in the 1800s or early 1900s
your reality is at the end of your dream

Pubrick

Quote from: Jake_82thanks, I put it on the top of my netflix queue. I think what I'm looking for is more old fashioned though, like something set in the 1800s or early 1900s
oh ok, u'll never find that.

good luck tho. at the very least u found a decent movie u otherwise never woulda seen.
under the paving stones.

Pas

I like The Town is Quiet a lot. Anyone should see that.

NEON MERCURY

..the mood i'm looking for contains scenes of two peopel  spreading spicy ranch dressing in theri eyes while carrying dead rats in lemonn colored legwarmers in a cabin made out of dried slug trails and snorting crushed pretzels while pretending their both invisible.....

any suggestioons....

Ernie

Uh, the first thing that came to my mind was The Last Detail when I read the sailors with stories to tell part but it doesn't really apply to much else that your looking for...check it out anyway if you haven't yet though. It's not Hal Ashby's best film by any means but it's pretty funny, especially Jack Nicholson. And it is about the Navy if not a seaport like you requested.

Reinhold

there's an independent version of Jeckyll and Hyde from the 80's that might work. old london... i think there's a dock scene.

i think it was on sundance or ifc or something-- maybe i saw it in school? i can't remember. i wasn't thinking that i'd have to remember it when i saw. i'd be more specific if i could. sry.
Quote from: Pas Rap on April 23, 2010, 07:29:06 AM
Obviously what you are doing right now is called (in my upcoming book of psychology at least) validation. I think it's a normal thing to do. People will reply, say anything, and then you're gonna do what you were subconsciently thinking of doing all along.

SHAFTR

"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"

MacGuffin

Quote from: Jake_82So what I'm looking for is something with a mysterious sea port with darkened skies and quiet streets, old wooden boats bobbing up and down in the water, ancient taverns giving off orange and purple light through their glass windows... the crews of the boats are made up of solemn individuals who all have stories to tell (like that Simpsons episode heh)... I don't know... I know there has to be a movie like this somewhere, anyone have any ideas?

First movie I thought of:

"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Pubrick

yeah well i bet he likes mine the best.
under the paving stones.

NEON MERCURY

can someone identify the phallic symbol on that mobydick cover..??

a.)the black hat
b.)the sublte grays in the beard
c.) the harpoon-like weapon
d.)shut the phuck up you dumbass trying to be funnny but your really not bitch.
e.)the word dick written in a suggestive manner.

Jeremy Blackman

Watch Dark City and In the Bedroom in quick succession.

Reinhold

Quote from: NEON MERCURYcan someone identify the phallic symbol on that mobydick cover..??

a.)the black hat

you're missing the most obvious one.

Quote from: Pas Rap on April 23, 2010, 07:29:06 AM
Obviously what you are doing right now is called (in my upcoming book of psychology at least) validation. I think it's a normal thing to do. People will reply, say anything, and then you're gonna do what you were subconsciently thinking of doing all along.

NEON MERCURY

Quote from: Reinhold Messner
Quote from: NEON MERCURYcan someone identify the phallic symbol on that mobydick cover..??

a.)the black hat

you're missing the most obvious one.

..hahahah .....good job...... 8)