Favorite Female Singer-Songwriter

Started by pookiethecat, June 09, 2003, 10:08:07 PM

Thrindle

Quote from: Pas RapportWhy'd you have to go and make things so complicated?
I see the way you're actin like you're somebody else
Gets me frustrated

Now that's poetry!  :roll:
Classic.

Pas

Quote from: Thrindle
Quote from: Pas RapportWhy'd you have to go and make things so complicated?
I see the way you're actin like you're somebody else
Gets me frustrated

Now that's poetry!  :roll:

Yeah I heard it's inspired by Keats. Like this other one

He was a sk8ter boi
she said see you later boy
He wasn't good enough for her
She couldn't see the man
that boy could be

MacGuffin

Courtney Love Two Hours Late for Hearing  

BEVERLY HILLS, Calif. - Rock star Courtney Love showed up two hours late Tuesday for a hearing on drug charges and was scolded by the judge after talking out of turn in court.

Love's attorney Michael Rosenstein won a delay of the preliminary hearing after arguing that witnesses needed to be brought in from out of state and that he had not received drug samples for testing.

But the brief proceeding was marked by interjections from Love, who claimed to have prescriptions for the drugs and at another point seemed to fire and immediately rehire her lawyer.

"I have the pill bottles on me," she blurted.

At another point she said to her attorney, "You're fired."

"Miss Love, you're not doing yourself any favors," Superior Court Judge Elden Fox said.

"Rehired," Love said.

Love, former lead singer of the group Hole, is charged with illegal possession of the painkillers hydrocodone and oxycodone.

She was arrested in October after allegedly trying to break into the Los Angeles home of a former boyfriend. Police found the drugs later when paramedics were called to her house after Love suffered a drug overdose.

The judge rescheduled the preliminary hearing for April 15.

Prosecutor Jeff Stodel argued against a delay, saying, "We're ready to go."
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

meatwad

Quote from: MacGuffin"Rehired," Love said.

classic

Just Withnail

That's gotta be the first article concerning Love I've ever seen that doesn't say "former wife of Kurt Cobain".

modage

Quote from: MacGuffinCourtney Love Two Hours Late for Hearing  

BEVERLY HILLS, Calif. - Rock star Courtney Love showed up two hours late Tuesday for a hearing on drug charges and was scolded by the judge after talking out of turn in court.

Love's attorney Michael Rosenstein won a delay of the preliminary hearing after arguing that witnesses needed to be brought in from out of state and that he had not received drug samples for testing.

But the brief proceeding was marked by interjections from Love, who claimed to have prescriptions for the drugs and at another point seemed to fire and immediately rehire her lawyer.

"I have the pill bottles on me," she blurted.

At another point she said to her attorney, "You're fired."

"Miss Love, you're not doing yourself any favors," Superior Court Judge Elden Fox said.

"Rehired," Love said.

Love, former lead singer of the group Hole, is charged with illegal possession of the painkillers hydrocodone and oxycodone.

She was arrested in October after allegedly trying to break into the Los Angeles home of a former boyfriend. Police found the drugs later when paramedics were called to her house after Love suffered a drug overdose.

The judge rescheduled the preliminary hearing for April 15.

Prosecutor Jeff Stodel argued against a delay, saying, "We're ready to go."
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

moonshiner

hahahaha....at least the Pixies no longer get that whole "former favorite band of Kurt Cobain" thing

not that the tag on Courtney Love isn't deserved
the rumble of the train trails off to infinity, a place where no one goes anymore

JC, no not that one

bigperm

Neko Case

and i get to see her in May
Safe As Milk

Jeremy Blackman

Why doesn't Tori Amos write more songs like "God" and "Cornflake Girl"?

pete

"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

xerxes

Quote from: peteCibo Matto
they're pretty great

imawombat

Definitely Aimee Mann.

I also like Fiona and Joni Mitchell though.
these things do happen

Pedro

Quote from: imawombatDefinitely Aimee Mann.

I also like Fiona and Joni Mitchell though.
wombat?

GoneSavage

GODDAMMIT, I really really really hate threads like this.  I'm not going to read the whole thing, but I sincerely hope my point has been made in one of the previous pages.  I hate when a band like Sleater-Kinney gets called a great female rock band instead of a great rock band.  I hate when PJ Harvey gets called a great pioneer of women's rock music instead of a great pioneer of rock music.  While I think it's nice to see a thread appreciating artists, threads like these come off to me like "gee, how neat it is to see actual WOMEN making music too!"  Funny how I don't see any threads named "Favorite female actors".

pete

gonesavage, you don't think female singer songwriters write about different things?  you don't think that women have different view at this male-dominated society?  you don't think great songwriters with vaginas are able to express and offer perspectives different from that of a dude?  can't this post be a discussion on a particular subcategory of "singer-songwriters"?  Can't that subcategory be gender-based?

*ps: you are my favorite female poster.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton