I Heart Huckabees

Started by MacGuffin, February 15, 2004, 10:47:22 PM

nineteenseventyseven

I know the question has been posed many times before, but I'm afraid I never found an answer--what song(s) are in the I Heart Huckabees trailer and who by?
I waste time.

tpfkabi

well one is definitely Jon Brion, but i'm not sure the soundtrack is available yet.
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

Bethie

Quote from: nineteenseventysevenI know the question has been posed many times before, but I'm afraid I never found an answer--what song(s) are in the I Heart Huckabees trailer and who by?

The song in the I Heart Huckabees trailer is Jon Brion's "Knock Yourself Out."

Here's an interview with Jon about the soundtrack:

From the Aug 17-23 Hollywood Reporter:

"I began the soundtrack by creating what I would call typically good soundtrack music. (Director) David Russell's reaction was that he wanted more 'good' feeling in it -- more feeling, in general. David and I had a conversation about how disgustingly gratuitous song placement in the movies has become, and how most soundtrack music doesn't have a sense of song to it. It has gotten to the point where you really feel, as a viewer, that almost every song placement is really just a marketing scam.

I had been remembering some older film soundtracks that were iconographic and had a sense of song to them -- such as (1961's) 'Breakfast at Tiffany's'. David was open to the concept (of creating a tune-driven soundtrack). Then, just as a way of getting myself out of 'soundtrack guy' mode and into 'songwriter guy' mode, I began playing some melodies on the piano from some songs of mine. (Russell) exclaimed, 'what's that?' I told him it was something of mine that was never released. 'Can we play that to picture?', he asked. Boom -- instantly, we were both totally happy; it gave the film a sense of playfulness with an emotional undercurrent.

For the soundtrack, I used very intimate arrangements, not big orchestrations. Bells ended up being prominent. There are a zillion different types of bell sounds; glockenspiels, hand bells, hollies and bells off the Mighty Wurlitzer organ. Using that instrument felt special because it had actually been created for use in the movie theaters but, of course, stopped being used after sound came along. You can instantaneously make finished orchestra pieces! Other than bells, (the score) is a mostly acoustic guitar and acoustic piano-based soundtrack. There are also some brush drums and bass and old chamberlain -- which is a weird instrument I play now and then. Essentially, it is all very small, except for the Mighty Wurlitzer.

What was nice for me in working with David was that we tended to have the same emotional response to certain tensions in the film. When I saw tension in the film, I would write a song about it, and he would immediately relate the song to the tension. This made me happy because it meant each of us was thinking about the film in the same abstract way. The fact that an entire score such as this would be populated by unreleased songs sans lyrics via complete serendipity is interesting.

People in the movie are trying to come to grips with the fact that you have to accept things as they are. It was appropriate that the music have a sweetness, openness and intimacy to it. Here we are, having this sweet conversation about the raw deal that is being born -- and embracing both things whole-heartedly. It worked out because there was a sense of the question of how to be OK with just being a creature in this universe, without merely becoming apathetic."
who likes movies anyway

grand theft sparrow

Saw an ad for this during "The Twenty" that they show at UA/Regal Theatres.  Keep an eye out for it:

http://www.jaffeandjaffe.com

nineteenseventyseven

The soundtrack is on Amazon, but without track listings, only an October 12th release date:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00049QKZG/qid=1096330847/sr=1-3/ref=sr_1_3/103-0086407-0793469?v=glance&s=music

One more thing: the official site now has some substance to it.
I waste time.

meatwad

Quote from: nineteenseventysevenThe soundtrack is on Amazon, but without track listings, only an October 12th release date:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00049QKZG/qid=1096330847/sr=1-3/ref=sr_1_3/103-0086407-0793469?v=glance&s=music

somebody beat you to it....three posts above you

MacGuffin

Quote from: meatwadsomebody beat you to it....three posts above you

Not only that, Bethie answered the question.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

nineteenseventyseven

I feel small.  Thank you for the cyber-knowlege.
I waste time.

samsong

Torturously pretentious in spots but overall it's a great screwball comedy about modern life, very cerebral and in the end beautifully optimistic and life affirming... that is for those who don't completely dismiss the film's smugness.

David O. Russell's writing is both brilliant and patronizing; if anything the pretentiousness people (by people I mean Rex Reed) accuse P.T. Anderson, Spike Jonze/Charlie Kaufman, and now Michel Gondry of is here it its full glory.  If you ever flirted with the same sentiments Reed expresses in an article I read -- sorry, don't have a link -- I Heart Huckabees will make you a believer.

There's great ensemble work here (I was especially impressed by Mark Wahlberg), everyone beautifully mainting their character without ever "upstaging" the other ones, which is just what the film needed to do in order to work.  Jon Brion's score is superb.  Stylistically I think O. Russell tries to do too much and it gets distracting at times, but his direction is excellent otherwise.  I Heart Huckabees as a whole works, very well at that, and is very kinetic, insane, full-out comedy (of the intelligent kind).  Not as good as I would've hoped but I had enormous expectations.  As expected its one of the best films of the year.

modage

Quote from: samsongAs expected its one of the best films of the year.
good.  the mixed reviews are killing my buzz.  this has been one of my most anticipated for the year and i cant wait for friday...
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Ultrahip

Samsong, you're avatar is like my avatar! How bizarre...

Stefen

You guys should fight and the loser gets my avatar.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

Ultrahip

An excellent suggestion. Pistols at dawn!