"The Suicide Club"

Started by Recce, February 26, 2003, 11:15:44 PM

Recce

I have an idea for a script I'd like to write. I'd eventually actually make it, if all goes well. At this point, it is in it's early stages, with only the basic  idea of the story thought out. I'd jsut like to get any ideas from you guys, before I go into more detail. Maybe it would change where I'd go with this.
It's called the suicide club, for the moment. It was inspired by a short film I saw not long ago. The idea is to have this faction of heaven(although there's no heaven and hell, hell is just a faction of heaven and heaven is kind of like a big corporation.) which is responsible for all suicide on earth. There's a faction for murder, a faction for love, etc. for everything that happens in our lives. These factions are composed of agents that are  there to organize things so as to get their way. So, for this suicide faction, the task is to get people to kill themselves, obviously. I want it to be like an office, and they act like real-estate agents, where landing a good suicide is good for their jobs, type of thing. So, at one point, I want one angel or guy or whatever i decide to call them to come in and go: "Oh, yeah! guess who jsut landed a murder-suicide...BUUYA!" This setting would basically be the transitional point between a series of short films within the film. The shorts would be several stories(how many, i dont know yet, but not too many) about a person driven to suicide. However, rather then make it all dramatic, i want to continue the dark comedy style  and have whatever agent that was assigned to that case to be in the background, invisible to the human eye. He or she is there and sort of maneuvers things in order to get the suicide. One example of this would be placing a knife in view of the person when they are feeling particularly emotionnal, etc. although a little less cliche.
So, I think that's basically what I've got so far. I'd appreciate any input.
"The idea had been growing in my brain for some time: TRUE force. All the king's men
                        cannot put it back together again." (Travis Bickle, "Taxi Driver")

sphinx

before i begin, i will get this stuff out of the way
- don't be surprised if people get offended
- a setup almost identical to this occurs in 'a life less ordinary' in which agents that start off in heaven have to make people on earth fall in love, not kill themselves

go and write it.  if you think you have a good idea in your head, let it stew for a bit but more importantly, just go and write it.  you can't really judge the treatment without reading the actual writing.  you could have the worst premise imaginable, and then when you write it, it could turn into absolute genius.  you just never know with those ideas

Cecil

im laughing allready.

maybe you should make that the agents cant actually manipulate reality (placing knife) but can verbally encourage the people to do so, yet nobody knows theyre actually hearing it.

maybe you should make heaven and hell seperate corporations. and they compete for souls. so suicide isnt the only way for the devil agents to get the souls, they can encourage all sorts of things depending on what their specialty is. then you can have a scene where a devil agent meets an old college roomate, whos an angel agent, and they can have a chat. angel agent: "well business has been really slow lately, but were hanging in there. i told him not to make masturbation a sin."

Recce

yeah, that's not bad, having heaven and hell compete. Maybe, at one point, I could have a short where there's an agent from hell there to get the guy to kill himself, and another from heaven there to try to get him to fall in love (well, probly something other then love, sounds too disney landish but you get the idea). So it becomes this crazy thing where their competing and they get all revved up.
"The idea had been growing in my brain for some time: TRUE force. All the king's men

Cecil

i think the angels should make people "do good." like mother theresa was the work of one of the angels. or a "client," whatever you want the lingo to be

also, i think you should make your main character an aging demon whos "all washed up" and is scared of being replaced by the new young guy, who seems to be a pro at what he does. "im gonna get fired today, i know it. this new hot shot is too good. i mean theyre priests, man... those guys are like rocks, how does he get em to DO that?"

Recce

That's hilarious. I'm so using that(if you don't mind)

ReelHotGames

The heaven and hell competeing idea is a good way to go. I have a script called "Undecided" that starts on the floor of a stock exchange for souls, we're thrust in as legions of "demons" and "Angels" compete for souls, with tickers counting up for each side as they claim souls at the moment of birth.

Finally one soul comes on the ticker that is Undecided, this shuts the place down, everyone falls silent and then the frenzy really begins as it is all out war for this single soul. An Undecided soul has the potential to be a force of overwhelming inspiration and good will or a force of unadulteratd vileness and corruption.

And so on, so I think the competeing for souls and the departments of heaven and hell idea is one to explore.
"Body Count Cinema the Customizable Card Game"
A cinematic CCG coming to a coffee table near you!
www.reelhotgames.com/BodyCountCinema_Home.htm

Cecil

Quote from: RecceI'm so using that(if you don't mind)

not at all.

Jon

budgie

I think everyone with their suicide ideas should experience it at least once before they attempt to write about it.

Jon

Quote from: budgieI think everyone with their suicide ideas should experience it at least once before they attempt to write about it.

For a comedy, especially.

budgie

Quote from: Jon
Quote from: budgieI think everyone with their suicide ideas should experience it at least once before they attempt to write about it.

For a comedy, especially.

Well, for a truly (rather than pseudo) black comedy, yes.

Recce

Well, I'm not, or have I ever been, suicidal. However, I don't really want this to become about the suicides. I want it to be more about the case agent coercing people and the black comedy surrounding that act. At one point, I'd want an angel case agent and the demon case agent to get into a fight over a soul. However, I am considering broadening the plot of the film to just be about any sins that might lead to someone going to hell. So it would be suicide, murder, masturbation, etc. Obviously, the title would have to be changed.

MacGuffin

Quote from: RecceWell, I'm not, or have I ever been, suicidal.

You must be a beginning writer. Give it time.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Jon

Quote from: MacGuffin
Quote from: RecceWell, I'm not, or have I ever been, suicidal.

You must be a beginning writer. Give it time.

Heh.