So Far This Year, vol. 3

Started by Ghostboy, June 28, 2005, 05:34:00 AM

Gold Trumpet

Quote from: Pubrick on December 16, 2005, 06:24:32 AM
Quote from: The Gold Trumpet on December 16, 2005, 05:31:35 AM
I actually agree with Pete's assessment.
i don't think foreign is that low. nor can i think of what hyped up sci-fi refers to. horror would only be that high for a MONTH, if that, and after this year i don't think there's much more to see there.

Hyped up Sci Fi refers to Matrix and currently King Kong. The longest reviews on the board are for that film. Most people won't put it as #1 for the year, but the passion of every review makes you think they should if they can write so much. Others are arguable but I believe firmly in the board's overriding love for the first two categories.

squints

1. Downfall
2. Sin City
3. Oldboy
4. Kung Fu Hustle
5. Save the Green Planet
6. Me and You and Everyone We Know
7. Grizzly Man
8. King Kong
9. Batman Begins
10. and....uh...La Sortie des usines Lumière?
"The myth by no means finds its adequate objectification in the spoken word. The structure of the scenes and the visible imagery reveal a deeper wisdom than the poet himself is able to put into words and concepts" – Friedrich Nietzsche

modage

GT, how is King Kong science fiction? 
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Gamblour.

Quote from: pete on December 16, 2005, 11:16:36 AM
equation of gamblour:

walrus from 18 months ago = gamblour

that's it? you're original statement is incorrect and seemingly intended to patronize a good deal of people. sorry people don't share your taste. as for the comparison, if you really wanted to hurt my feelings, you should've just said that I was you at any point in your time being here. i would've found that insulting. I think walrus is honest and passionate and not a dick. and sorry if my poorly sarcastic, exaggerated hierarchy of your tastes hit some sort of nerve that made you feel you had to post a retort like this.

=====================

Anyhow, I have yet to see: Capote, The Squid and the Whale, Syriana, Walk the Line, Wallace and Gromit, Grizzly Man, Junebug, Cinderella Man, Me and You and Everyone We Know (again, needs a fair shot), The Constant Gardener, Cache, Downfall, 2046, March of the Penguins, Transamerican, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, Where the Truth Lies, Save the Green Planet, Jarhead, Thumbsucker, Match Point, Manderlay, Last Days, Yes, Broken Flowers. King Kong, Munich, New World are absolutes.
WWPTAD?

pete

Quote from: Gamblour on December 16, 2005, 03:02:57 PM
and sorry if my poorly sarcastic, exaggerated hierarchy of your tastes hit some sort of nerve that made you feel you had to post a retort like this.

dude, what's this?  battleship?  "if you said something after I've said something, then I must've gotten you!  meh!" weren't you the one who got all jittery at first to fire back that really obvious joke that Walrus amongst others have milked to death (in good fun) my first month here?  by the same logic, maybe I hit some kinda nerve first.  battleship.

Quote from: Gamblour on December 16, 2005, 03:02:57 PM
Anyhow, I have yet to see: non-big budget sci films and non-edgy hollywood films.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

JG

Still have plenty left to see but:

1.  Squid and the Whale
2.  Downfall
3.  Capote
4.  Good Night, Good Luck
5.  Batman Begins
6.  Me, You, & Everyone We Know
7.  King Kong
8.  Sin City
9.  No Direction Home
10.  40 year old virgin

Syriana just didn't do it for me.   Still have to see quite a few though. 

RegularKarate

Quote from: modage on December 16, 2005, 02:28:17 PM

It's not, but I would like to hear why he thinks it is.

Pubrick

Quote from: RegularKarate on December 17, 2005, 12:51:39 AM

me too, but even if he can half-prove why, the theory still fails..

hyped up sci-fi films of recent times:
matrix reloaded and revolutions - xixax verdict: SUCKED
star wars films - xixax verdict: SUCKED
what else was there? if u count Kong (what the fuck is sci fi about kong??? the special effects that were used?? wow that's stupid) u hav to count HULK or sumshit, which no one here liked and is a superhero movie anyway.

so really i still don't understand why hyped up sci-fi belongs so high.
under the paving stones.

SHAFTR

Quote from: RegularKarate on December 17, 2005, 12:51:39 AM

Quote from: Pubrick on December 17, 2005, 01:28:24 AM
if u count Kong (what the fuck is sci fi about kong??? the special effects that were used?? wow that's stupid)

I'm guessing GT was referring to the giant ape, or perhaps the dinosaurs or mutant bugs/bats.  I'd also say it is Sci Fi, if pressed.  It is best defined as a "monster movie" which would include either horror or sci fi.  Since King Kong isn't ever scary, I would put it in Sci Fi.
"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"

Pubrick

Quote from: SHAFTR on December 17, 2005, 01:37:09 AM
I'm guessing GT was referring to the giant ape, or perhaps the dinosaurs or mutant bugs/bats.  I'd also say it is Sci Fi, if pressed.  It is best defined as a "monster movie" which would include either horror or sci fi.  Since King Kong isn't ever scary, I would put it in Sci Fi.
if pressed? what, if pressed between your temples hard enough that your brain would actually categorize a story of a giant ape as being SCIENCE FICTION? the rest of your explanation makes even less sense, like you're making it up as you go along. very simply, where's the science in king kong? i..... don't know what to say, everyone has lost their mind.
under the paving stones.

SHAFTR

Quote from: Pubrick on December 17, 2005, 01:49:20 AM
Quote from: SHAFTR on December 17, 2005, 01:37:09 AM
if pressed? what, if pressed between your temples hard enough that your brain would actually categorize a story of a giant ape as being SCIENCE FICTION? the rest of your explanation makes even less sense, like you're making it up as you go along. very simply, where's the science in king kong? i..... don't know what to say, everyone has lost their mind.
Monster Films
A type of horror or science fiction movie in which a horrible creature, often of gigantic proportions, causes havoc and mass destruction on society. Often taking place in densely populated urban areas, these stories focus their action on humanity's efforts to destroy the creature and restore natural order. Heroes who destroy the threat are often scientists and/or the military. Origins of these forces vary, from outer space (Alien), from human construction (Frankenstein), from failed scientific experiments (The Fly), from the negative impact of technology (Godzilla), or from nature (Jaws, Them!). These films usually feature spectacular special effects, and their success depends primarily on a convincing monster. Action, stunts, destruction and chaos are primary elements, with character development and narrative generally secondary considerations. This said, on occasion the form is used as an allegorical plea for tolerance or is used metaphorically, sympathetically representing monsters as outcasts (Frankenstein, King Kong). If successful, monster films will mutate and spawn sequels and/or remakes as typified by Godzilla.
Source:  All Movie Guide

Pubrick

ok cool, so what does the bible say about sci fi?

also i would say it's enuff to call it a monster movie. that's all the labelling that's required.
under the paving stones.

Gold Trumpet

Shaftr's last reply suffices. King Kong is in a category of fantasy which is in the larger category of science fiction.

Pubrick

Quote from: The Gold Trumpet on December 17, 2005, 02:18:14 AM
Shaftr's last reply suffices. King Kong is in a category of fantasy which is in the larger category of science fiction.
that's stretching it tho, don't u think? i doubt anyone at xixax goes "oh goodie another sci-fi film to satisfy the nerd within!" i mean, barely anyone went to see Serenity.

so you're saying every superhero movie ever made is also sci-fi, since it's fantasy right? or sumthing crazy like that. great, sci-fi now encapsulates half the movies of the year. of course xixaxers love it.
under the paving stones.

SHAFTR

Quote from: Pubrick on December 17, 2005, 02:16:41 AM
ok cool, so what does the bible say about sci fi?

also i would say it's enuff to call it a monster movie. that's all the labelling that's required.

I'm sorry, but what should I say to that?  I agreed, then showed my reasoning. 

I'm unsure on your bible comment.  Are you equating the bible to all movie guide?  If so, I guess that would make it quite the authority (atleast in the minds of many people).  Or, were you making a joke?