The Green Hornet

Started by Banky, February 18, 2004, 12:39:28 PM

MacGuffin

"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

No Green Hornet for Nicolas Cage
Source:ComingSoon

While he was never officially cast, Heat Vision reports that Nicolas Cage won't be playing the villain in Columbia Pictures' The Green Hornet, which director Michel Gondry has started filming in Los Angeles.

Sources for the Blog say that the studio is on the hunt for a new actor to play the villain in the comic book adaptation. No scenes with Cage were shot for the movie.

Columbia is planning a December 17, 2010 release for the pic, which stars Seth Rogen, Cameron Diaz, Jay Chou, Edward James Olmos, David Harbour and Tom Wilkinson.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

polkablues

My house, my rules, my coffee

MacGuffin

'Basterds' Baddie to Replace Nic Cage in 'Green Hornet'?
Source: Cinematical

When Nicolas Cage stepped down as the villain of Michel Gondry's The Green Hornet, we and others started kicking around names of those actors that we'd most like to see become the bad guy opposite Seth Rogen's masked crime-fighter, and if Deadline Hollywood's Nikki Finke is to be believed -- and for once, I hope that she is -- the vacancy left by Cage will be filled by none other than the AICN-suggested Christoph Waltz.

The 52-year-old Austrian actor is best known for his scene-stealing turn as Col. Hans Landa in Quentin Tarantino's Inglourious Basterds, for which he won the Best Actor award at this year's Cannes Film Festival and for which he's a likely contender for this year's Best Supporting Actor Oscar. That was a villainous performance both fierce and playful, which sounds like just the thing that a Michel Gondry-helmed serial-based action-comedy. (And at this moment, isn't it fitting how much more interesting he and we might find this rumor to be over facts?)

If this is true and the shoot goes according to schedule, we should be looking to see The Green Hornet in theaters around December of 2010.

Skeleton FilmWorks

SiliasRuby

The Beatles know Jesus Christ has returned to Earth and is in Los Angeles.

When you are getting fucked by the big corporations remember to use a condom.

There was a FISH in the perkalater!!!

My Collection

MacGuffin

Nicolas Cage on Turning Down The Green Hornet
Source: The Canadian Press

On Monday, it was announced that Inglourious Basterds actor Christoph Waltz had been cast as the villain "Chudnofsky" in The Green Hornet. Nicolas Cage was in talks for the role earlier and talked to The Canadian Press about his reasons for not coming on board:

Cage says he "wasn't interested in just being just a straight-up bad guy who was killing people willy-nilly."

"'The Green Hornet' was something that I wanted to do, I think Michel Gondry is very talented and I had hoped it would work but I think Seth Rogen and Michel had a different take on the character," said Cage, who starred in 2007's supernatural comic book film, "Ghost Rider."

"I had to have some humanity and to try to give it something where you could understand why the character was the way he was but I don't think there was enough time to develop it."

We assume Christoph Waltz will have a different take on the character. We'll find out on December 17, 2010, if that date sticks.

Skeleton FilmWorks

SiliasRuby

Good Thing. We want to remember Cage as Ghost Rider and no one else.
The Beatles know Jesus Christ has returned to Earth and is in Los Angeles.

When you are getting fucked by the big corporations remember to use a condom.

There was a FISH in the perkalater!!!

My Collection

MacGuffin

First image of Seth Rogen as The Green Hornet!
Source: SciFi Wire

First a bomb scare, now this: The first image of Seth Rogen and Jay Chou in full costume as The Green Hornet and Kato, courtesy of SplashNews.

Now we know there's a lot of animosity toward Rogen for taking on this franchise, but honestly: He does kinda look like the character, right?

Rogen plays Britt Reid, the newspaper entrepreneur by day and masked superhero by night. Jay Chou takes over the role of chauffeur/martial-arts expert Kato, Cameron Diaz is Lenore Case, and Inglourious Basterds' Christoph Waltz plays the villain, Chudnofsky. Rogen has described the script, which he wrote with partner Evan Goldberg, as the story of a hero and his sidekick. Michel Gondry directs. Green Hornet opens Dec. 17, 2010.

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

Anvil to Rock Out for The Green Hornet!
Source: L.A. Times, Superhero Hype!

In a story about the official start of the Oscar push for Sacha Gervasi's documentary Anvil! The Story of Anvil, L.A. Times reporter Pete Hammond mentions that the band recently shot a scene for Seth Rogen and Evan Goldberg's take on the pulp hero The Green Hornet, currently shooting with director Michel Gondry at the helm.

There's no mention whether the band will be playing themselves, but the scene they filmed has them playing in a club before they.... SPOILER ALERT!!

"literally explode."

Of course, the appearance of Anvil does raise a lot of questions about the time period in which the movie is set, because the original Green Hornet mainly appeared from the '30s through the '60s on a series of radio shows, film serials and a television show before disappearing, and the band's music would seemingly indicate a more modern approach to the character.

In fact, it's rather apropos for Anvil to be involved since they themselves fell off the map in the mid-'80s only to have their career resurrected in a big way when Anvil! The Story of Anvil premiered at the Sundance Film Festival last year and after a successful tour across the country earlier this year in which the band played a short set following a screening of the movie, the band was asked to open for AC/DC on their recent summer tour, including a show in front of tens of thousands at the enormous Giants Stadium. Anvil's 13th record, "This is Thirteen," was rereleased by VH-1 Classic Records on September 15 and the band is about to head out on their own headlining tour.

As far as their most recent movie appearance, you can see how it all turns out when The Green Hornet opens on December 22, 2010. Meanwhile, Anvil! The Story of Anvil was just released on DVD earlier this week and you can order it from Amazon.com.

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

Seth Rogen tells us not to worry about The Green Hornet

All the problems that have faced Seth Rogen's Green Hornet film have made us worry: It lost both a co-star and a director when Stephen Chow dropped out, production and release dates have been delayed, and there was even a bomb scare on the set.

But Rogen—who stars, produces and co-wrote the script with Evan Goldberg—tells fans not to worry; he's got it all under control.

"Honestly, I think as a producer, a lot of your work is done before now," Rogen told reporters on a call on Thursday while promoting NBC's Monsters vs. Aliens: Mutant Pumpkins From Outer Space. "It's hiring the right people and making sure all the elements are in place and then trusting them to do what you hired them to do. But I'm there all the time, so I can make sure everything's going well. There's a lot of pressure. I understand that. I've been talking about this movie for years, and if it sucks, no one will be more disappointed than me, believe me."

Rogen plays Britt Reid, the newspaper publisher who dons a mask and costume to become the crime-fighting Green Hornet. Michel Gondry directs. Just being on the set is a minor relief, Rogen says: There were times when it looked like Columbia Pictures might pull the plug altogether.

"It is, I gotta say, an enormous one," Rogen said. "You've still got to make it awesome, so the relief isn't [completely] there yet. I will say, I take a huge amount of the pressure. I understand that. I understand that it's my face on it when it literally comes out. Even if it sucks for another reason, people will blame me, and that's why I have to be so involved to try to make sure that it doesn't suck."

Whatever pressure Rogen feels, it's not enough to put a damper on his sense of humor. "I will blame Gondry if it sucks, though," Rogen said with a laugh. "No, I'm just joking. We're all in it."

The Green Hornet is due Dec. 17, 2010.

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

Michel Gondry doesn't want to hear your Green Hornet complaints

Michel Gondry, speaking at the South by Southwest film festival in Austin, Texas, previewed his vision for the upcoming superhero movie The Green Hornet and said it will be more familiar than his previous quirky movies, which include Be Kind Rewind and The Science of Sleep, but will still look like a Gondry film.

"I think the way the action unfolds, there is a sort of sense of geometry in the dynamics in the scenes," Gondry said in an exclusive interview on Sunday. "I think that corresponds pretty much to my style."

The Green Hornet stars Seth Rogen as Britt Reid, a newspaper publisher by day and masked crime fighter by night, accompanied by his faithful sidekick and martial-arts expert Kato, played by Jay Chou (stepping in for Stephen Chow, who was also originally slated to direct but dropped out). The movie will also feature Cameron Diaz and newly minted Oscar winner Christoph Waltz (Inglourious Basterds).

Gondry is proud of his original vision, because, he said, there's really no comic-book basis for the crime-fighting character, who appeared first in a radio series. "Let's set the record straight," Gondry said. "There is no comic book of the Green Hornet, so I don't want people to tell me, 'You didn't respect the comic book,' because I dare them to show me the comic book. I know that Kevin Smith did one lately. It's probably great, but that's his vision. There's no right to claim Green Hornet is a comic-book figure. It's a radio show to start with, and ... a TV show from the '60s, so that's what there is. If people think we owe to follow the rule of a comic book, there is no comic book of The Green Hornet, so f--k that. I'm sorry, but I don't owe anything to any aficionado of the comic book. I'm doing a film."

Gondry also promised that the movie won't look like The Dark Knight or Spider-Man with Gondry at the helm. "I'm asked, and there is a set of rules we had to follow to use a character that existed, but that's about it," Gondry continued. "For the rest, I'm doing the best film I can."

Gondry also promised a lighter comedic touch that's been missing from recent comic-book movies.

"And he has a real drama in his story," Gondry said. "So it's going to have some of the criteria that people want to have in such a movie."

The Green Hornet opens Dec. 22.

Skeleton FilmWorks

The Perineum Falcon

Have people been hounding him about a comic-book lately?
We often went to the cinema, the screen would light up and we would tremble, but also, increasingly often, Madeleine and I were disappointed. The images had dated, they jittered, and Marilyn Monroe had gotten terribly old. We were sad, this wasn't the film we had dreamed of, this wasn't the total film that we all carried around inside us, this film that we would have wanted to make, or, more secretly, no doubt, that we would have wanted to live.

polkablues

My new Michel Gondry impression:

"IT'S NOT A FUCKING COMIC BOOK!"

But with a French accent.  Nobody will get it.  It'll be awesome.
My house, my rules, my coffee

picolas

"IZ NOOT A FOOKEEN COMIQUE BOOKE!"

"...iz noot!"

MacGuffin

'Green Hornet' Trailer Is Coming Soon, Says Michel Gondry
Source: MTV

It's been a quiet few months on the "Green Hornet" front lately, but that shouldn't be taken as a sign that things are slowing down on the Seth Rogen-starring film. In fact, director Michel Gondry says fans will see the first trailer at some point in the near future.

"There's a trailer that's been made," the filmmaker told MTV News during this weekend's South by Southwest Festival. "[It should be out] in the spring or summer, actually."

Based on Gondry's description of the trailer, fans will learn a good amount about Rogen and Jay Chou's characters of Britt Reid and Kato, the two heroes at the center of the action. But it's not all about character development, as Gondry promised plenty of violence in the upcoming trailer.

"You see Kato and Seth deciding why they want to be crime fighters," he said. "Then you see images of their completion. It's pretty violent, but with a good spirit."

Despite the lack of recent information, Gondry said that all was well on "The Green Hornet." According to the filmmaker, the relationship between himself, Rogen, the studio and various producers couldn't be healthier.

"It's a great collaboration," he said. "I really enjoy working with the producers. All of those guys happen to think very fast and make very random decisions, but they turned out to be successful."

Skeleton FilmWorks