Terminator: Salvation

Started by Banky, October 09, 2003, 08:21:31 PM

Stefen

McG sucks. He'll NEVER be good and neither will his movies.

Write this one off.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

MacGuffin

Carter Is Terminator's Big Bad

Helena Bonham Carter, who just joined the cast of McG's upcoming Terminator Salvation, confirmed to SCI FI Wire that she plays a villainous character in the SF prequel.

"I kind of play a baddie, definitely a baddie," Bonham Carter said in an interview while promoting her new film, the comedy-drama Sixty Six. "I don't know how much I'm allowed to say, but I'm a very bad person."

Bonham Carter is a new addition to the cast of the film, which already includes Christian Bale, Sam Worthington, Anton Yelchin and Bryce Dallas Howard.

Bonham Carter (Sweeney Todd) replaced Tilda Swinton at the 11th hour and will work a total of about 10 days on the film, which is currently in production in New Mexico.

"Tim [Burton] would have killed me if I hadn't done it, because he's such a Terminator fan," Bonham Carter said, referring to her longtime partner and director on such films as Planet of the Apes. "I've been in big movies before, like Apes, and Fight Club was big in a different way, and Charlie [and the Chocolate Factory] and Sweeney Todd were big, but I've never been in this kind of big popcorn action movie, a male one, an action one." Terminator Salvation opens May 22, 2009.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

Cameron Denies Terminator Blessing

Contrary to statements by Terminator Salvation director McG that he had original Terminator creator James Cameron's blessing, Cameron himself told the Canadian National Post that he never signed off on the film.

"It could be a big steaming pile, or it could be brilliant," Cameron said Sept. 6 at a ceremony in Toronto for Canada's Walk of Fame. "Sam Worthington is in ... Avatar and the new Terminator, and he likes the script, but I never saw it. There was no blessing involved."

In a production blog posting in May, McG wrote, "I've spent time with James Cameron, spoken to Arnold Schwarzenegger, gone over the story with Jonah Nolan, and enlisted Stan Winston."

Terminator Salvation, the fourth film in the SF franchise, stars Christian Bale and Worthington in a story that takes place after Judgment Day. It is slated to open May 22, 2009.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

Skeleton FilmWorks

Kal

MacGuffin

Skeleton FilmWorks

modage

were there terminators in that trailer or are they saving them for the movie?
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Stefen

Oh, McG got rid of the Terminators. They're replaced by contestants from MTV's America's Best Dance Crew.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

cinemanarchist

So, Bale just talks like that all the time now?

*Or else McG directs by simply saying, "Yes...but this time with a bit more Batman."
My assholeness knows no bounds.

Stefen

McG directs Bale by telling him, "Act the way Chris Nolan would tell you to."

MacGuffin

Fifth 'Terminator' film in the works
McG working with Halcyon on project
Source: Variety

The Terminator will be back.

Halcyon Co. toppers Derek Anderson and Victor Kubicek are developing a fifth instalment of the man-vs.-machine franchise.

Helmer McG, who directed the upcoming fourth pic, "Terminator Salvation," is working with the Halcyon duo on the latest project.

Announcement was among the news that came out of the Dubai Intl. Film Festival, which bowed Dec. 11 and runs through Thursday.

McG was in Dubai for the announcement, despite his well-known fear of flying, which led to him dropping out of the Oz-shot "Superman Returns." He mentioned that incident in remarks during the announcement.

No decision has been made as to where to film the next "Terminator," although the Middle East was mentioned as a locale.

When Anderson and Kubicek acquired the rights the lucrative "Terminator" franchise last year from previous owners C2, the former ad exec and banker envisaged the re-booted series as a trilogy. Christian Bale has signed on in the role of John Connor for all three roles. Newest pic is tentatively skedded for a 2011 release.

The duo had originally planned to wait until the release of "Terminator Salvation" next summer before deciding on whether to proceed with the next chapter, but the positive studio, fan and media reaction to footage from the current pic has encouraged them to move forward ahead of schedule.

"We feel the time is now to start shaping the next part of this," Kubicek said.

Warner Bros. is handling the domestic release of "Terminator Salvation" with Sony handling the majority of the rest of the world, with the exception of the Middle East where the film is being handled by Dubai-based Gulf Film.

No decision has been made yet on whether the fifth "Terminator" will be once again split by Warner Bros. and Sony.

"Terminator" vidgame, which has been developed inhouse through the Halcyon Games division, will be released day-and-date with the live action pic.

The Halcyon duo is also prepping an English-language remake of Danish helmer Susanne Bier's Oscar-nominated "After the Wedding." Brit helmer Michael Caton-Jones will start lensing in early 2009. Pic, about a Western social worker in a Mumbai slum who receives a mysterious multi-million-dollar donation from a Western businessman, has yet to be cast.

"It's on the opposite side of the spectrum from 'Terminator" in that it's a much smaller drama," Anderson said. "It's a total departure for us. There's not that many screens for foreign-language films so we thought this was an opportunity for more people to see the film."

Keen to assuage question marks over its commitment to the local film industry, the Dubai government announced at the fest that it would invest in its first-ever feature project. Government investment arm the Dubai Intl. Financial Center is coughing up the majority of coin for Emirati helmer Ali Mustafa's debut feature "City of Life," which refers to the English translation of Dubai's oldest nickname.

Project, which has a budget in the mid-seven-figure range, is a multilingual, character-driven drama based in the bustling emirate. Filmworks CEO Tim Smythe is producing the project, which will begin lensing on location in Dubai next February.

Alexandra Maria Lara ("Control"), Arab-American standup Ahmed Ahmed and rising Bollywood star Sonu Sood ("Singh Is Kinng") have boarded the cosmopolitan project.

"We need to be aware that as a first film this is going to serve as a benchmark for," Smythe said. "It's an important project for Dubai and developing an industry here. We're going to be 85% local crew, which is an amazing thing to do. This is a huge step up for us."

Project is the most ambitious Emirati film to be fully funded with local coin. Mustafa, who won the Emirati Filmmaker prize at the Dubai fest last year, has long been seen as the Emirati helmer most likely to break out internationally.

Mustafa and Smythe are hoping to world preem the pic at next year's Dubai fest.

Elsewhere, fest's inaugural film market -- an innovative fully digital film library utilizing Hewlett-Packard technology -- has proved easy-to-use and popular with both buyers and sellers. Mart runs concurrently with the fest.

Co-production market the Dubai Film Connection launched Saturday, with 18 projects vying for three prizes of $25,000 in development coin each. It ends Wednesday.

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

EXCLUSIVE: Danny Elfman To Score 'Terminator Salvation'
Source: MTV

Cast your expectations aside for the score to May's "Terminator Salvation." Danny Elfman has confirmed exclusively for MTV News that he will be composing the music for McG's new post-nuclear-holocaust Terminator installment of the blockbuster franchise.

"I just started yesterday," Elfman told MTV News from the red carpet of the Critics' Choice Awards. The Academy Award nominated composer from films like "Good Will Hunting," "The Corpse Bride" and "Batman" indicated that the original "Terminator" theme by composer Brad Fiedel was not in use yet; nor is there mandate to incorporate the classic symphonic hook. He did, however, leave the door open for its appearance.

"I think if it comes up and it seems appropriate, we will [use it]," Elman said. "And if it doesn't, we [won't]. I never really know what to expect when I begin other than just kind of get into it and have fun. Especially a movie like "T4" – just have fun. So that's what I intend to do."

Last month we brought you exclusive word that the "Salvation" soundtrack will also include a track by the film's star, hip-hop artist Common. The rapper plays the role of Barnes, a freedom fighter who battles Skynet alongside John Connors.

Elfman has the magic touch when it comes showcasing the monumentally bizarre and violently solemn moments on screen in his music. Right now, it's obvious "Terminator: Salvation" will be breaking out the big sound guns for its score. And the sentiment was definitely echoed in Elfman's response to the screening he recently saw.

The composer for all three "Spider-Man" films had one word for it: "Exciting."

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

Michael Bay vs. McG
Source: SlashFilm

Last week, Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen director Michael Bay took a shot at McG in a note on his official online website:

"We've seen the great year end movies, and watched the upcoming clips of the upcoming summer fare. We've seen certain movies coming out even try to duplicate Transformer size robots in their ads. Please, come on."

Of course, Bay is reffering to the gigantic robot terminator machines called Harvesters which have been shown in the movie trailers for Terminator Salvation. During a special New York City presentation, McG responded to Bay's jab by stating the obvious — Michael Bay didn't invent giant robots.

Here's the quote, thanks to Sara from Comcast:

"It bothers me to tell you the truth. Ultimately, our large robots have nothing to do with the Transformers robots," McG said. "I say with respect, giant robots have been the theme of film for a real long time. So we want to do everything we can to create separation. Our film's about T-800s and the Marcus character and the Connor character, and this, that, and the other. So, to have people have a problem with that wouldn't be working for us so we want to make sure there's separation."

I say, lets forgo all this talking and settle this the right way - in the ring - Bay vs. McG.

Skeleton FilmWorks

RegularKarate

Stefen

"Mike Bay didn't invent giant robots."

"I'd like to see you say that to my face."

"Mike Bay? Not the inventor of giant robots."

"Coward."

"lol."