the strokes

Started by Rudie Obias, January 16, 2003, 04:44:51 PM

mister mister

I listen to Room on Fire at least once a day. When I first heard it, it was much like when I first heard Is This It - everything was very cruisy and easy to listen to.
Then riffs, lyrics, and drumbeats start coming out and you get a real feel for the album.

At the moment I'm really into Reptilia, 12:51 and The End Has No End. The first three tracks are great. I didn't like You Talk Way Too Much at all when I first heard it, but I'm into it now.

Modern Age02, you seem to be The Strokes guru here - you were talking about the strokes taking NYC cops off Is This It, which I sort of knew about, but is this still the case?

I'm just curious is all, because I live in Australia, and we have the glove and butt cover cd of Is This It with NYC cops. Does America have that cover which looks a bit like a map on it premanently, + do you have to order and import for the other cover?

modage

yeah america still (and probably forever) has the weird map looking cover, so i ordered the import version to begin with 2 years ago because i didnt like the idea of my album being censored.  (although i can understand why, i just think that the album is much much better the original way.)
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

mister mister

Yeah I totally agree. It's a much cooler cover too. Does anyone have their current set list at the moment?

I'll be seeing them in january, when they come out to aus

modage

well, i saw them the first two shows of the tour.  and i dont remember the order but the songs played were........

show oct. 9th  they played in no particular order with the exception of opening with Between Love And Hate and closing with Take It Or Leave it. (no encore by the way, as ever.)

between love and hate
what ever happened
reptillia
soma
the modern age
someday
alone together
last nite
hard to explain
new york city cops
automatic stop
12:51
you talk way too much
under control
the end has no end
the way it is
i cant win
take it or leave it

setlist friday oct. 10th
again, dont remember the order. they opened with Under Control and closed with Take It Or Leave It. shorter set tonite. only 16 songs, not 18. all the sames as last nights show but not alonetogether or youtalkwaytoomuch.

what ever happened
reptillia
automatic stop
between love and hate
under control
the end has no end
the way it is
i cant win
the modern age
soma
someday
last nite
hard to explain
new york city cops
take it or leave it
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

European Son

Quote from: mister misterYeah I totally agree. It's a much cooler cover too. Does anyone have their current set list at the moment?

I'll be seeing them in january, when they come out to aus
This is not in the exact order, but they played these songs last night in Atlanta, GA:

Reptillia
Automatic Stop
Hard To Explain
Modern Age
Alone Together
Take It Or Leave It
I Can't Win
New York City Cops
Someday
What Ever Happened?
You Talk Way Too Much
Between Love & Hate
Under Control
The End Has No End

modage

mister mister

Wow, that site's pretty amazing - so they are looking for people to record all their different concerts? kinda cool.

When you think about it 16-18 songs isn't that much when you consider how short their songs are. They never do encores? That's weird. I'm usually dying while waiting for encores anyway cos I'm so buggered by then.

When they come for big day out, for the solo shows I'm going to try and get as close as I can, in front of albert. he's on the left hand side of the stage isn't he? (right for the audience). Do they really not move around that much? Does Julian come up to the crowd much?

SHAFTR

I saw them a year ago and they were good, but for the main act their set list was so short and no encore.  They played for about 30 mins.
"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"

godardian

I'm actually really loving the new album, really appreciating the way they can lurch from one beautifully textured, very melodic bit to the next... I think I like it better than the first (though there's nothing so catchy as "Someday," probably my favorite Strokes song ever). I actually think I like it a little better than the new Belle and Sebastian album which, before I'd heard them both, I would never have believed and in fact would have denounced as blasphemy. But there you have it...
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

European Son

Quote from: mister mister
When they come for big day out, for the solo shows I'm going to try and get as close as I can, in front of albert.
Albert's looking pretty awesome nowadays. He has a Blonde on Blonde era Dylan fro going on. He's let it grow since Is This It?. I thought it looked great.

QuoteDoes Julian come up to the crowd much?
Yes, usually during "Take It Or Leave It."

mister mister

That's what I'm talkin about!

<----------------- curly hair kicks arse.  8)

mister mister

You can download The Strokes performances from November on Conan O'brien as well as an interview at  http://www.thestrokesfan.com/

Sigur Rós

Quote from: mister mister

<----------------- curly hair kicks arse.  8)

amen

modage

NEW STROKES SONG!  (stop the presses, alert the media)...

their new single "Reptilia" has a b-side called "Modern Girls and Old Fashioned Men" which is a duet with tour opener Regina Specktor they recorded a few months ago.  its pretty bizarre, but you can download it for 99 cents exclusively at iTunes.  (it was my first paid download, I BROKE!)

mogwai

what song did they play on letterman a week ago?