What did you think of Matrix Reloaded?

Started by Ghostboy, May 12, 2003, 02:23:29 PM

Banky

Is it just me or was Monica Belluci's outfit one of the sexiest outfits ever on screen.  Maybe it was the whole accent that did me in but it looked like she was poured into that dress. WOW

MacGuffin

I appreciate the support from those who appreciate my help. And as a reward, another 'long-winded' post:

Merovingian - Ah-ha, here he is at last - Neo - the One himself, right? And the legendary Morpheus... And Trinity of course, si belle qu'elle me fait souffrir... (french for "so beautiful, that she makes me suffer) I have heard so much, you honor me... Please, join us, this is my wife, Persephone... Something to eat? Drink? Hmm...

Neo - No, thank you...

Merovingian - Yes, of course, who has time? Who has time? But then if we do not have a take time (?), how can we have a half time? (he starts smelling his wine) Château Haut-Brion 1959, magnificent wine, I love french wine, like I love the french language... I have sampled every language -- french is my favorite -- fantastic language, especially to curse with... Nom de dieu de putain de bordel de merde de saloperies de connards d'enculés de ta mère... You see, it's like wiping your *** with silk, I love it!

Morpheus - You know why we are here.

Merovingian - Hmm... I am a trafficker of information, I know everything I can... The question is, do you know why you are here?

Morpheus - We are looking for the Keymaker.

Merovingian - Oh yes, it is true... The Keymaker, of course... But this is not a reason, this is not a why... The Keymaker himself's very nature is means, it is not an end, and so, to look for him is to be looking for a means to... do... what?

Neo - You know the answer to that question.

Merovingian - But do you? You think you do but you do not... You are here because you were sent here, you were told to come here and you obeyed... Hahah, it is of course the way of all things... You see, there is only one constant, one universality's the only real toss (?): causality. Action... Reaction. Cause... and effect.

Morpheus - Everything begins with choice.

Merovingian - No. Wrong. Choice is an illusion, created between those with power, and those without... Look there, at that woman... My god, just look at that... Effecting everyone around her, so obvious, so bourgeoise, so boring... But wait... Watch, you see, I have sent her a dessert, a very special dessert... I wrote it myself. It starts so simply, each line is a program creating a new effect, just like... poetry. First, a rush... Heat... Her heart flutters... You can see it, Neo, yes? She does not understand why, is it the wine? No. What is it then, what is the reason? And soon it does not matter, soon the why and the reason are gone, and all that matters is the feeling itself... THIS is the nature of the universe. We struggle against it, we fight to deny it, but this is of course pretends, it is a lie... Beneath our poised appearance, the truth is we are completely out of control. Causality. There is no escape from it, we are forever slaves to it. Our only hope, our only peace is to understand it, to understand why, WHY is what separates us from them, you from me... Why is (can't understand a few words there), without it you are powerless... And this is how you come to me, without why, without power... And those are link in the chain... But fear not, since I have seen how good you are at following orders, I will tell you what to do next... Run back, and give the fortuneteller this message: her time is almost up. Now I have some business to do, I will say adieu and goodbye...

Neo - This isn't over.

Merovingian - Oh yes it is... The Keymaker is mine and I see no reason why I should give him up... No reason at all.

Persephone - Where are you going?

Merovingian - Please ma chérie, I've told you, we are all victims of causality... I drink too much wine, I must take a piss... Cause and effect. Au revoir.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

Use this link and click on the Making Of Matrix Reloaded. It's a 25 minute doc about all aspects of the production. Large file, but so worth it.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

CadillacJack

I think the movie kicked ass.  The seen with all the Agent Smiths was a little too digital for me.  I guess there was no way around that one.  The highway seen was incredible though.  I'll have to be honest, I think I liked the 1st one better, because there was more one a story line and it had some action.  Don't get me wrong, I still enjoyed the hell out of Reloaded, but it's hard to beat the 1st one.

Raikus

I think I figured out what made parts of the Burly Brawl look so fake. People have been saying "the faces, the faces" but I really thing it was the clothes. Neo's jacket specifically and, to a lesser extint the Smith's jackets. I think they paid too much attention to digitally grafting the faces on and not enough on the clothes' physics.
Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky with one hand waving free, silhouetted by the sea, circled by the circus sands, with all memory and fate driven deep beneath the waves, let me forget about today until tomorrow.

RegularKarate

Quote from: RaikusI think I figured out what made parts of the Burly Brawl look so fake. People have been saying "the faces, the faces" but I really thing it was the clothes. Neo's jacket specifically and, to a lesser extint the Smith's jackets. I think they paid too much attention to digitally grafting the faces on and not enough on the clothes' physics.

Yeah... I didn't think there was any concern with the faces... I always thought it was the overall mass of the people, which is covered in clothes which are drawn with little detail... so yeah... it's the clothes.

Mesh

Quote from: RaikusI think I figured out what made parts of the Burly Brawl look so fake. People have been saying "the faces, the faces" but I really thing it was the clothes. Neo's jacket specifically and, to a lesser extint the Smith's jackets. I think they paid too much attention to digitally grafting the faces on and not enough on the clothes' physics.

A.  The scene looked only slightly better than a video game.  I kept thinking "These graphics suck!"

B.  It was such a pointless fight.  Neo can fly, people, he can fucking FLY at, like, 4000 mph!  What's he doing dicking around fighting a squadron of self-replicating bad guys?

C.  I was so reminded of The Phantom Menace's Pod Race Sequence.  Both were relatively entertaining to watch, but both were just so obviously scenes from an upcoming video game.....The Neo/Smiths fight totally took me out of the film fantasy and what meager plot there was at that point....

Sleuth

Quote from: Mesh
A.  The scene looked only slightly better than a video game.  I kept thinking "These graphics suck!"

Christ man, what kind of video games are you playing?

I think the clothes just looked a little too smooth to be real, but that's it
I like to hug dogs

Mesh

Quote from: tremolosloth

A.  Christ man, what kind of video games are you playing?

B.  I think the clothes just looked a little too smooth to be real, but that's it

A.  10 minutes a week at Best Buy, tops.

B.  Does anyone still wonder why Neo and Smith are always dressed in featureless black outfits?

Banky

Look dammit ok so they did not look perfect but we can all agree that they looked fucking good.  And fuck the guy who said they are just slightly better than video games. Seriously full of shit on that one.  Why does Neo not fly away?  He knows he will have to face Smith eventually.  What good does it do to run?  He cant die.  Why not fight?  At the core Matrix is a kung fu movie.  Just like a musical at certain points you just need to sing and dance.

Victor

Quote from: MeshB.  It was such a pointless fight.  Neo can fly, people, he can fucking FLY at, like, 4000 mph!  What's he doing dicking around fighting a squadron of self-replicating bad guys?

cause he's gotta prove it to himself and Smith everyone else that hes The One and not afraid and can kick 100 asses at once. he only flies away when he knows he cant win. 'sides, how lame would the movie have been if he just flew away from every problem 'cause he could? hes NEO, for fucks sake.

and everyone bitchin about the digital effects - its not a perfect artform yet, theyve still got a ways to go, its not gonna look photo-real every time. this movie has the best digital effects of any movie to date regardless, so whats with all the nitpicking? just let it flow over you, believe its happening and itll look a lot more real.

and this:

FRENCH DUDE: Run back, and give the fortuneteller this message: her time is almost up. Now I have some business to do, I will say adieu and goodbye...

the oracle must be aiding the humans in some way, perhaps this is how neo was able to save trinty and maybe even why he was able to stop the sentinel. if she was the "mother" of the matrix and understood human nature, she mustve grown some sort of fondness for them, same as smith developed an anger towards them. like the last five times she went along with it and did what she was sposed to, but she just cant take it anymore and is now going against the architect. it is kind of agent smith in reverse, no? his rage against humanity caused him to break orders and go rogue.

oh and:

monica bellucci is the hottest goddamn woman on the planet. i bought her character as being a program and not human coz, jesus, how could someone as hot as her actually exist?
but what was up with her scene, where she makes out with neo? it HAS to mean something. "its just a kiss". but was it? doesnt it seem wierd, that scene? its definitely a feeling like something important is being set up.
are you gonna eat with us too?

RegularKarate

A. Slightly better than a video game is a tad extreme and a lot untrue.

B. Did you watch the rest of the movie?  Did you see Neo fly?  He has a pretty good amount of "warm up" time where he has to concentrate or do whatever cool stuff that makes the ground ripple.  That and the thing about him having to fight him sooner or later anyway.

C. The stand off is obviously quite significant... just because we don't fully understand the situation between the two doesn't mean it wasn't important to the plot.

Mesh

Quote from: RegularKarateA. Slightly better than a video game is a tad extreme and a lot untrue.

B. Did you watch the rest of the movie?  Did you see Neo fly? He has a pretty good amount of "warm up" time where he has to concentrate or do whatever cool stuff that makes the ground ripple. That and the thing about him having to fight him sooner or later anyway.

C. The stand off is obviously quite significant... just because we don't fully understand the situation between the two doesn't mean it wasn't important to the plot.

A.  Whatever.  I nitpick The Matrix, you nitpick me.  In short:  a scene that makes me feel like I'm watching someone else play a video game is not a good scene.

B.  "...a pretty good amount of "warm up" time where he has to concentrate or do whatever cool stuff that makes the ground ripple..."  That in and of itself is utter nonsense.  What?  He has to really, really, really believe the Matrix is fake in order to fly?  C'mon.  Just fly, Chosen One.  Don't give me this "I gotta prepare myself for flight" baloney....Further:  Did Neo even vanquish a single Smith?  Not that I could see.  He just knocked 'em all down, and they got right back up.  At least in Bruce Lee movies, one punch from Bruce puts the baddie down for the count.  That, for contrast, is real ass kicking.

C.  Again, whatever.  We'll see how "obviously significant" it is in 6 months.  If Revolutions answers all the questions it poses, it'll be a friggin' movie miracle....

bonanzataz

First off...

Quote from: MerovingianI have sampled every language -- french is my favorite -- fantastic language, especially to curse with... Nom de dieu de putain de bordel de merde de saloperies de connards d'enculés de ta mère... You see, it's like wiping your ass with silk, I love it!

I love this fucking line.

Second off...

Quote from: Lesterbut what was up with her scene, where she makes out with neo? it HAS to mean something. "its just a kiss". but was it? doesnt it seem wierd, that scene? its definitely a feeling like something important is being set up.

This scene shows just how in love Neo and Trinity are. It also shows that Persephone (who is my favorite greek myth) is only a computer program but she wants to be loved. I don't think there's anything important coming out of it, but I really liked the scene. She's just a computer program, but she has feelings and she wants to betray the Merovingian. It's grizzy great! I've found that people who really hate the dance/sex scene hate this scene as well, but this is important because it sets up that we're saving humanity here, not just trinity and morpheus and neo and those people. all that is left of humanity, including human ideals.[/quote]
The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls

Mesh

Quote from: bonanzatazI don't think there's anything important coming out of it, but I really liked the scene. She's just a computer program, but she has feelings and she wants to betray the Merovingian.

I like this angle but I kept thinking "She's trying to infect him with something."  Matrix AIDS or Matrix SARS or Matrix Mono or a virus or what have you.....