What did you think of Matrix Reloaded?

Started by Ghostboy, May 12, 2003, 02:23:29 PM

Banky

Macguffin are you a Matrix junkie?

MacGuffin

I don't know what makes you say that. Now if you'll excuse me, I have to use my Samsung cell phone while simultaniously drinking a Powerade and Heineken while wearing my Blinde Design sunglasses and play with my McFarline action figures.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Sleuth

Powerade+Heineken sounds interesting
I like to hug dogs

Banky

Raikus

Finally saw it last night. I had lowered my expectations so I was pleasantly surprised. However the love/rave scene was completely and wholly unnecessary. It took me out of the movie for a while (actually the first 20 minutes were rather dismal). I can see the point of the scene, but it would have been just the same if limited to a minute. Blah. Anyway, good philosophy throughout. Didn't think it was hard to understand at all. A bonus were the names and their references.

Merovingian = supposed decendants of Christ. In this case, probably called himself this because he thinks of himself as the most important program in the Matrix. From a holy binary bloodline, if you will. He craves power above all things. Hence he has possession of the Keymaker--the most important person in the Matrix.

Persephone = In Greek mythology she was Hades' kidnapped bride. After her kidnapping Demeter, her mother, struck a deal that he would get her half a year and then return her for the other half. The Greek's used this myth to explain the Spring and Summer seasons (her return to her mother, the Goddess of Agriculture) and the Fall and Winter seasons (her return to Hades and, due to her mother's saddness, the death of crops). Persephone in the myths would help anyone if it meant somehow bringing detriment to Hades.

Seraph = the guardian of the Oracle. Short for Seraphim, the first of the nine orders of angels in Medievel lore. In this case playing the part of the guardian angel.

So in the mythology of the Matrix, here's my list of beings and their archtypes:

Architect = God (creator of all that is)
Oracle = Satan (or Lucifer, the great deciever)
Neo = Jesus (the one who resurrects the program and Zion)
Merovingian = To a lesser extent Satan (he and his wife hold prisoner the most powerful person and are basically the Prince and Princess of the Matrix)

I've reaches my brain quota for today. Anyone have any other input on this?
Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky with one hand waving free, silhouetted by the sea, circled by the circus sands, with all memory and fate driven deep beneath the waves, let me forget about today until tomorrow.

MacGuffin

Quote from: RaikusSeraph = the guardian of the Oracle. Short for Seraphim, the first of the nine orders of angels in Medievel lore. In this case playing the part of the guardian angel.

Must be why his Matrix code is gold.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Sleuth

Quote from: RaikusOracle = Satan (or Lucifer, the great deciever)

Gosh, that's almost scary.  I don't see her as that at all, but I'd be creepy to have it turn out that way
I like to hug dogs

BonBon85

Well I'll post my two cents even though pretty much everything has been said already. They knew they wanted to start with an action sequence but they didn't really have any need to so it was like they just stuck the end at the beginning to appease an audience's need for combat. Because I hadn't seen the original in a while I felt no emotion for the characters but we were just thrown into the story and expected to like them right away. Thus, the love/dance scene just seemed gratuitous. I don't remember the dialogue making me cringe as much in the original. Morpheus's speech was painful to listen too. Still, the action was good and entertaining. I loved the idea of the scene shown in Macguffin's avatar as well. I think I'm always a sucker for stock footage incorporation in narrative films.

Mesh

Quote from: MacGuffin
Quote from: cbrad4dI'm still trying to figure out what the french dude is all about. not sure i understand who or what he is. guess he'll be back in revolutions and it will all make sense. (?)

This may help:

In the restaurant the Merovingian explains causality. He says Neo and his friends do not really understand why they are there, but are simply pawns of cause and effect. They say they know the reason: to search for the key maker; he tells them they are only following orders from the Oracle, orders they do not understand .

As an example of cause and effect, he sends a slice of chocolate cake over to a woman in the restaurant. The cake is actually a program, which he claims to have coded himself, and it has an effect on the woman's feelings and behavior after she eats it. In the green and black Matrix view, the camera drops down to show us her digital "legs", then reveals the effect of the cake as a bright "fireworks" type of graphic in the region of her crotch. She gets up and leaves the room. The sexual metaphor here suggests that we do not freely choose our sexual urges (or food cravings), but instead they follow from brain chemistry, and thus humans are not as free as they may believe.

We see this same theme of freedom versus fate in many places throughout the movie, such as when the Oracle tell Neo that he already made his choice but must learn to understand it

MacGuffin, you do this a lot.

Someone asks a question like cbrad's above and you go into a long-winded plot synopsis.  He saw the movie.  He knows what the Malevoliovigninja did; he's asking who that character was, what his point was for being around, you know, bigger questions than just "What did that dude do?"

MacGuffin

Quote from: MeshMacGuffin, you do this a lot.

Well, excuuuuuuuuse me for trying to help.

Skeleton FilmWorks

Sleuth

Like the Oracle said, Merovingian is another program like her from an older Matrix
I like to hug dogs

Banky

Macguffin i defiantly appreciate the fact that you give well detailed answer.  While they may not be answering the question directly, they are very interesting and take good effort.

sphinx

i died during this shot:

and here's the famous finger

picolas

Quote from: sphinxi died during this shot:

...yep. my body turned and jarred itself into the physical manifestation of "WHGYEES>>"

i'm so happy they didn't give that shot away anywhere. it's the "da money" of money shots...

©brad

Quote from: Mesh
MacGuffin, you do this a lot.

Someone asks a question like cbrad's above and you go into a long-winded plot synopsis.  He saw the movie.  He knows what the Malevoliovigninja did; he's asking who that character was, what his point was for being around, you know, bigger questions than just "What did that dude do?"

oh no no. mac's response, as always, is  much appreciated and well-informed.