The Video Rental Thread

Started by Gold Trumpet, April 06, 2003, 10:56:11 AM

polkablues

Quote from: Pubrick on December 16, 2007, 05:48:56 AM
HOWEVER -- on the dvd extras i watched an "alternate US ending" -- did you freaks see a different version? our cut ends with *spoiler* whereas the alternate US ending adds a further unnecessary scene.

I agree the scene's totally unnecessary, but my girlfriend would start a riot if she ever saw a version of the movie that didn't have it.  I think it's a hormonal thing.
My house, my rules, my coffee

Reinhold

Does anybody here use the netflix instant viewing thing?

we don't have any TV channels, but an s-video cable out from a laptop and into the TV makes Netflix a decent stand-in for cable.
Quote from: Pas Rap on April 23, 2010, 07:29:06 AM
Obviously what you are doing right now is called (in my upcoming book of psychology at least) validation. I think it's a normal thing to do. People will reply, say anything, and then you're gonna do what you were subconsciently thinking of doing all along.

Fernando

Just saw these over the weekend.

I loved all three, sadly the Third Man dvd was scratched so I missed a couple of minutes, I don't think I missed much, Orson was great and when he is revealed it felt pretty iconic. Also started to hear soderbergh's commentary but couldn't finish it because I had to return it, in fact I'd have liked to watch again all three.

Le deuxième souffle is my first Melville and it took me some time to get into the film but in the end it was pretty great and I look forward to see more of him.

Finally, Encounters at the end of the world is pretty stunning, it's also my first Herzog  :oops: and I loved it, I will buy this for sure eventually, and everyone should check it out if you haven't seen it.

SiliasRuby

Chinese Coffee

This is a brilliant adaptation of a wonderful play. Reminds me of my relationship with one of my best friends, although I trust my friend and my friend trusts me while these two men do not. They challenge each other and are totally honest with each other. Very powerful stuff.
The Beatles know Jesus Christ has returned to Earth and is in Los Angeles.

When you are getting fucked by the big corporations remember to use a condom.

There was a FISH in the perkalater!!!

My Collection

SiliasRuby

Outfoxed: Rupert Murdoch's War on Journalism

I found out a long time ago about fox 'news' but this was an interesting look at the gestation of the 'news' channel and how it came to be what it is today. What certain phrases wre used, The incidents and tatical ways they produced what they wanted to show rather than what was actualy truth was astounding in how exactly it was done. I don't watch the cable channel because a: I like informed opinions and not just yelling when I want the facts and b: my head hurts and my face recoils whenever I hear Glenn Beck or Bill o'reilly's voice. Quite a good watch.

My Collection

SiliasRuby

Ghost Town

This was fine, solid I guess. Its just so repugnant in its ordinariness. I guess I was just hoping too much for something more inventive or involved. Let down again by another formulaic movie. Its possible that because Gervais wasn't intrinsically involved it fell kinda flat. David Koepp is wonderful at adapting films for other people like Spielburg but his footing when it comes to picking stories and directing falls flat.

My Collection

SiliasRuby

Sybil

Any one who says that Sally Field can't act is A: very narrow-minded and B: has never seen this film. She's breathtaking in this docudrama about the woman who was the first real legitimate dealing with dissociative personality disorder. Its really an out of this world performance in this TV miniseries which was actually cut into two hour and a half pieces over two weeks. The other stand out is the sound design, phenomenal stuff and those two things make what could have been a hacky or ordinary film about a extremely disturbed woman into something powerful and emotionally shattering. I've always like Sally Field but after this she has my upmost respect for the lady now. Search this out.

My Collection

SiliasRuby

Clean Shaven

Looks like today was a double feature featuring crazy people. Its pure cinema...pure and simple. Starring Peter Greene in only his 3rd film role, he portrays a schizophrenic father who wants his daughter back. He gets involved in a murder investigation that goes awry and its shot from mainly the perspective of the main character. It had almost no dialogue and pretty stark images. Brilliant film that found itself very impressionable to me.

My Collection

SiliasRuby

Missing.

A ripping drama about a grieving fathers search for his idealistic writer son in 1973 Chile during the right military coup. Jack Lemmon puts in one of his best roles of his career and Sissy Spacey as the writers wife isn't too shabby either. Its a search that seems unending and you can see the father just coming undone as every second passes growing more and more desperate for his boys body. This film really makes you feel for them and how it seems like they are 'going round in circles'. The end made me quite emotional...

I have to stop watching such heavy dramas. If it wasn't for 'newsradio' before bed, I'd be depressed every night.

My Collection

squints

^
I just watched this the other day too and i really loved it. I think my favorite sorts of films are from the 70s, they're American, and they're about a small questioning voice battling against or uncovering the shady dealings of those in charge. see: Missing, All the President's Men, Network. And generally in the end the small voice is crushed.

Jack Lemmon is great in this. I often forget how great he is. After watching this I rewatched his scenes in Short Cuts cause they're so fucking powerful.

What's the best part about the Missing Criterion? Commentary an such?
"The myth by no means finds its adequate objectification in the spoken word. The structure of the scenes and the visible imagery reveal a deeper wisdom than the poet himself is able to put into words and concepts" – Friedrich Nietzsche

SiliasRuby

Commentary is phenomenol. It was actually released in 1982. Not to be picky though.

My Collection

squints

Quote from: SiliasRuby on October 26, 2009, 08:31:08 PM
It was actually released in 1982.

yeah, my bad. you get the point i'm tryin to make though.
"The myth by no means finds its adequate objectification in the spoken word. The structure of the scenes and the visible imagery reveal a deeper wisdom than the poet himself is able to put into words and concepts" – Friedrich Nietzsche

SiliasRuby

Quote from: squints on October 27, 2009, 05:41:27 AM
Quote from: SiliasRuby on October 26, 2009, 08:31:08 PM
It was actually released in 1982.

yeah, my bad. you get the point i'm tryin to make though.
Of course I do. There are certainly film makers that are still making stuff that is heavily influenced by 70's cinema and would fit perfectly. One or two directors came through unscathed after 'Heaven's gate' (1980) went to box office hell.

My Collection

pete

I saw Le Trou.  Great film.
French prison escape movie from 1960.  It was extremely economical and detailed.  Covered five inmates digging a tunnel with great precision and fascination.  I really like movies that make the details sing.  It was based on a true story and they even used some real actors from the actual event. 
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

SiliasRuby

'A Raisin in the Sun'

A beautiful film that portrays racism in its deep core, breakthrough and heartbreaking performances. You can feel the struggle and although I've seen the play, in some ways I was more affected by the film. I haven't seen the update (yet) but I've heard its melodramatic...I sometimes hate that I'm white sometimes...

My Collection