Midnight Society Presents (my sketch videos)

Started by RegularKarate, November 12, 2009, 03:48:48 PM

RegularKarate

So, my sketch/improv troupe, Midnight Society has been doing a sketch show for a little over a year now and we've got some videos.  I thought I'd put a couple of them in here.  If you're ever in Austin, come check us out.  We've finally started to get some notice in the city (newspaper and Onion A/V club coverage).

This one was in our last show.  I wrote it, but was moving and couldn't be around for the shooting and as a result (among other factors), the sound came out pretty bad, but it's a video sketch, not a short film so I'm putting it up anyway.

This one is based on a scam my friend Julia thought up one day when we were surrounded by vegans.  She didn't want it to be a cult though... boo.

Let me know what you think... I know they're not perfect, but we focus more on live stuff right now (though I'm trying to get everyone to dedicate more to video).

©brad

RK these are really funny, especially Life Zones. That last line was particularly hysterical. Bravo sir. I'll write more when I'm not so wine-buzzed/jet-lagged.

RegularKarate

Thank you, I look forward to additional input.

We did a show last night hosting a show for Sam Brown from Whitest Kids U'Know and Brent Weinbach (one of the funniest comics working today).  It had it's ups and downs, but I think it averaged out to to being pretty good.

polkablues

Life Zones is near-perfect.  Many laughs out loud.

Star Trek's Wife had a great concept and funny bits, but was too unpolished to really shine.  Not just the production, the script also felt like it needed a couple more passes.  It was basically like a 12:45 SNL sketch.
My house, my rules, my coffee

RegularKarate

Thanks, Polka!

Quote from: polkablues on November 18, 2009, 06:31:03 PM
Star Trek's Wife had a great concept and funny bits, but was too unpolished to really shine.  Not just the production, the script also felt like it needed a couple more passes.  It was basically like a 12:45 SNL sketch.

I can't argue there.  I really wish I had been there for the shooting.  One of the guys there (the main guy in it) is usually really good at video production, but I guess he was focused on being in it and didn't have time to check the technical aspects.  The script isn't always followed exactly when we shoot these so a lot relies on us "feeling it".

Just in time for the Holidays (way too early for the holidays), here's something we did for last year's Christmas show:

(has some of the same production value issues)

RegularKarate

Haven't posted here in a while.  Other sketch videos reminded me to do so.

Here is a series from our last sketch show.  It's broken into three beats:

Try to watch them at 720p.  The upload wasn't amazing to begin with so that will help.

Would love to hear any feedback.

Ravi

I liked part 3 the best, with the awful magician.