R.E.M.

Started by Pas, September 11, 2003, 07:56:31 PM

Pas

Isn't that one of the best albums there is ? All the songs are awesome, the melodies are pure delight, Micheal Stipe's voice is just too fucking sweet and the writing is absolute genious. I love this album with all my heart. Some people like the Cure's Disintegration as a depression album, mine is REM's Automatic for The People. Everybody Hurts of course is pure delight, but each songs are great, except maybe Man on The Moon but even this one is pretty good.

Admin note: Former thread title was Automatic for The People appreciation thread

aclockworkjj

I will give you this...I am not a huge REM fan....but this is an amazing album.

Very good choice.

rustinglass

I like "new adventures in HI FI" better.
But automatic is very good
"In Serbia a lot of people hate me because they want to westernise, not understanding that the western world is bipolar, with very good things and very bad things. Since they don't have experience of the west, they even believe that western shit is pie."
-Emir Kusturica

Find Your Magali

From this site:

http://www.soundgenerator.com/news/index.cfm?articleid=2586

R.E.M In View With CD & DVD Hits Release

R.E.M have confirmed the release of a comprehensive greatest hits package DVD/VHS to accompany the CD release. 'In View: The Best Of R.E.M. 1988-2003' will include a collection of classic videos and live performances and is set for release on the 27th October 2003.

The simultaneously released DVD/VHS companion to the CD collection In Time: The Best of R.E.M. 1988-2003, the band's first greatest hits album to catalogue their most successful years, will also be R.E.M.'s first 'best-of' video compilation from this period, containing singles from the albums: Reveal, Up, New Adventures in Hi Fi, Monster, Automatic For The People, Out Of Time and Green.

The DVD/VHS release features 16 video clips, including classics like 'The Sidewinder Sleeps Tonite' and 'Everybody Hurts' and also brings together compelling performances of 'Imitation Of Life', 'Losing My Religion' and 'Man On The Moon', taken from 2001's South Africa Freedom Day concert in London's Trafalgar Square.

The new R.E.M. CD album In Time: The Best OF R.E.M. 1988-2003 contains all 16 tracks presented on the DVD, plus the songs 'All The Right Friends' and 'Animal', recorded for this 'Best-Of' collection. A Limited Edition expanded version of the CD will also be made available containing an additional disc with 15 rarities and B-sides.

Finally, for fans of the Surround Sound 5.1 Advanced Resolution mixes of Automatic For The People and Reveal and In Time: Best Of R.E.M. 1988-2003 will receive a DVD-Audio release on 10th November 2003.

DVD/VHS Track listing

Bad Day
All The Way To Reno (You're Gonna Be A Star)
Imitation Of Life
The Great Beyond
At My Most Beautiful
Daysleeper
Electrolite
E-Bow The Letter
What's The Frequency, Kenneth?
Nightswimming
The Sidewinder Sleeps Tonite
Everybody Hurts
Man On The Moon
Losing My Religion
Stand
Orange Crush

Bonus Rare Videos

Tongue
How The West Was Won And Where It Got Us
New Test Leper
Bittersweet Me
Lotus
I'll Take The Rain

Bonus Live Tracks

Imitation Of Life
Losing My Religion
Man On The Moon

Gold Trumpet

I choose Automatic easily over Hi Fi. Hi Fi is R.E.M. exploring the casual cool of Rock star ego so the depth is not there and in just constructing some good rock songs they don't seem to really impress that much. All the structures they explore, (besides maybe E-Bow) are very general in rock history and have been explored to greater depth and a more unique sound or feel. R.E.M for the most part seems to be just covering another avenue and are unprepared for the most part to really own it. They just swim through it and create some decent songs in the process.

Automatic for the People, on the other hand, is a masterpiece. Its R.E.M at its best in craftmanship of song and the album is laced with a sadness that gives the album its own feel. Find The River is my favorite R.E.M song.

~rougerum

NEON MERCURY

::frosted flakes tiger dialect::

"there'  g-g-g-g-g-r--r-r-eat!!!!"

thew song .."drive" is my all time super duper, totally rad off the heezy for-sheezy, put it in a pot and boil it , then sautee it in rhythm..song..

***beady***

I really love 'nightswimming'. But all their songs kick ass.

neatahwanta

***beady***

Sheesh...How can you say that?

#Beady shakes her head in disaprovement.

pookiethecat

"Up" 's vitality as an electronic-alt experiment was way underrated, especially given how much attention "Kid A" received despite its significant borrowing from this great masterpiece.  Just one example- NEAT- of how REM doesn't get *enough* credit.
i wanna lick 'em.

godardian

Quote from: pookiethecat"Up" 's vitality as an electronic-alt experiment was way underrated, especially given how much attention "Kid A" received despite its significant borrowing from this great masterpiece.  Just one example- NEAT- of how REM doesn't get *enough* credit.

I like Up more than Radiohead, too.

...but I like reveal more than Up.  :wink:
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

Pas

Glad this thread was brought back to life. Everybody Hurts + alchool + depression = nirvana

Quote from: neatahwantaREM way
overated

Michael Stipe

Ridiculous. REM is waaaayyyy UNDERrated.

Gold Trumpet

Quote from: pookiethecat"Up" 's vitality as an electronic-alt experiment was way underrated, especially given how much attention "Kid A" received despite its significant borrowing from this great masterpiece.  Just one example- NEAT- of how REM doesn't get *enough* credit.

Don't say that in the Radiohead thread. Fans of them respect Automatic for the People enough to stay off your back. I do disagree with that myself. Radiohead borrowed in influence as did R.E.M. for both albums. Neither started anything.

UP has some some good songs, but loss of an identity as a whole and too weak songs to appreciate the album more. Reveal feels like Up cleaned up.

~rougerum

Find Your Magali

Quote from: Pas RapportGlad this thread was brought back to life. Everybody Hurts + alchool + depression = nirvana

The main cheer of the Philadelphia Phillies' fans this yeah was a peppy
"Everybody Hits, Waa-Wooooo!"

For some reason, I corrupted this and spent most of September going around the office singing, "Evvvvvvvvvreeeeeeebody hits, sometimes...."

Some people chuckled, anyway.

I'm an odd duck.

Jeremy Blackman