PDL DVD Reviews

Started by Derek, June 09, 2003, 11:15:49 AM

edison

wasnt trying to rub it in, i just didnt know that there were people here who are a part of the film industry, and perhaps there is a thread about it but i havent gotten that far in searching yet

BackUpOffMeFoo

I was just busting your chops. No offense taken.
Serious?

MacGuffin

Quote from: EEz28i just didnt know that there were people here who are a part of the film industry, and perhaps there is a thread about it but i havent gotten that far in searching yet

Search no more:
http://xixax.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=598
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

SHAFTR

"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"

depooter

Got my dvd today. I've had a chance to play around a bit.....very impressive. Great transfer, the soundtrack is very nice (Dolby Digital EX)no DTS for me...

PTA also shares his thoughts on the transfer in his unique way (from the booklet):

Notes for enjoyment:
Get Barry's suit blue, blue blue. Don't be shy. Get Barry's shirt white. Don't be afraid to let it bloom a bit. Turn up the contrast! Make sure your blacks are black and listen to loud!

The extras: I don't want to spoil too much for everyone. But, wow, wait till you see the first deleted scene (the sisters call). Its over 7 minutes and I wasn't prepared for Barry's comments about a little boy playing outside his shop....lots of other great bits, very fucking cool...

Other little things. The 12 scopitones are indeed the internet snippets. I thought they might be lost, be they're here :)

On Disc 2, if you press up on the remote, it highlights punch drunk love. Press enter, and all the extra features will play randomly. Kinda of cool and not an easter egg as pta says this about it in the book:

For Something Different:
On the bonus material disc, move up to Punch-Drunk Love. Sit back, relax and enjoy all supplemental features in random order. The computer has final cut each time, so enjoy its guidance...total running time is 34 minutes.

More Greg thoughts....the Bonus features do indeed have Korean subtitles. It's gotta be a weird PTA joke about bootlegs dvds. I'll try and find out...

Also, the matresss man commercial. Not sure if the fall is real, but it looks like it hurt PSH...you'll understand when you see it.

The booklet is very cool. There's lots of behind the scenes shots, pudding lids, various odds and ends, etc. A lot to see...

Disappointments? Sure, I wish their was a commentary track. I wish more deleted stuff was included (I know there's priceless footage with The Brothers). I would have like to seen interviews with the cast and crew, the pudding guy, jeremy blake, etc. I don't think it would have ruined the experience, but it's paul's baby.......

Bottom Line: I'm damn happy to have it and you will enjoy!

Sal

Sounds fucking aces.  After buying Adaptation on DVD, Ive found a new respect for superbit, and I recommend studios including it for as many releases as possible.  Make the disc a double and just put the extras on the other one, like PDL.  Can't wait.

MacGuffin

The current Premiere magazine gave "Punch-Drunk Love": The Movie: ****/**** The Disc: ****/****
(**** = A Must-Own)
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

modage

Quote from: SalSounds fucking aces.  After buying Adaptation on DVD, Ive found a new respect for superbit, and I recommend studios including it for as many releases as possible.  Make the disc a double and just put the extras on the other one, like PDL.  Can't wait.

what i cant understand is that the whole point of dvd is to have great picture and sound quality.  why isnt every fucking movie THE OPTIMAL QUALITY!?!  why isnt SUPERBIT just the standard format?  why are there discs packed with other shit and bringing down the picture/sound quality.  it doesnt make any sense to me how any movie should get a release less than this.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

fulty

My daughter just came through with the greatest father's day gift ever..!!  
Please don't hate me because you are jealous.
But I have to go watch it again.
Superbit = **** ( 4 paws up )
Thank you Mr PTA & Tina :-D
Tinapop  

I used to be smart.... now I'm just stupid.

godardian

Good god... I'm not surprised Greg has one, but where are other people getting such early copies of PDL.

Fuckin' "street dates" my ass.  :?  I am so left out of the loop, and SO jealous, here...
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

Derek

Quote from: fultyMy daughter just came through with the greatest father's day gift ever..!!  
Please don't hate me because you are jealous.
But I have to go watch it again.
Superbit = **** ( 4 paws up )
Thank you Mr PTA & Tina :-D

I thought you were female?
It's like, how much more black could this be? And the answer is none. None more black.

fulty

Quote from: DerekI thought you were female?
Sorry, that was a few lifetimes ago.
If you saw me now, you wouldn't want to get close enough to find out..!!

Most people think my puppy is a girl too, but no again.
I do have the best daughter in the world.

btw....some scenes on the DVD seem different than the movie.
Like, when the brothers knock Barry to the ground and we see the license plate and the 99 cents store, I thought he said "pudding".

Could be the memory is going..?
Tinapop  

dufresne

no PTA commentary though?
There are shadows in life, baby.

Just Withnail

Yes! Got my copy today, just watched the bonus material, which is all very much like the film, though not very extensive. Still a bummer that there's no commentary or documentary  :(

I'm watching this right away.

fulty

Yes, I would have loved having more stuff in the bonus disc.
But the quality is so good that I can't complain.
The sound is sooooo nice.
I see my earlier confusion about when Barry says "pudding" was because "Blossums & Blood" does not use the same takes as are in the movie.  So, my memory is not gone. It's just that I don't know where to put things.
Tinapop