Casablanca - Special Edition 2 Disc DVD

Started by filmcritic, August 05, 2003, 02:35:57 PM

filmcritic

Has anyone bought the new (and I think best) version of "Casablanca" on DVD? It's loaded with extras and my favorite is Roger Ebert's commentary. He's just as good here as he was on "Citizen Kane". It's a must-own DVD!
"You're too kind."
-Richard Roeper

"You're too cruel."
-Roger Ebert

Pwaybloe

Yeah, I bought it.  

Then I immediately threw it in the trash when I saw you got it too.

Edit: Just kidding, guys.

Ghostboy

You guys are getting mean!

Maybe I'll go buy this today. I'm leaving for Best Buy in exactly three minutes, but the only thing I know for sure that I'm getting is Solaris. But Casablanca + Ebert commentary is hard to turn down...

Pas

I bought it too ... listened Ebert directly. I liked his Kane commentary better though.

Quote from: PawbloeYeah, I bought it.  

Then I immediately threw it in the trash when I saw you got it too.

:lol: That was just great :lol:

cine

I bought it this morning and, while I wanted to go straight to the Ebert commentary, I thought I'd check out the outtakes first.. Now I don't know about anybody else here, but I was expecting more along the lines of Bogart looking into Bergman's eyes and saying, "Here's talkin' to you, kid" as he blurts out laughter. Or.. I don't know.. Dooley Wilson falling off the piano bench. Or Greenstreet's little shriner cap popping off and he just passively says, "By gad." I dunno.. something like that. so I was a bit disappointed but it was cool to see anyway. The Ebert commentary was interesting..  I can understand Rapport's opinion in that Casablanca's is more play-by-play by Ebert.. but I can see why he's doing that anyway since its not like he's commentating on an innovative picture like Kane.
All in all, beautiful DVDs.

Cecil

i made a thread about this back when it was announced. see? see what i meant when i said that poeple just start new threads instead of posting in mine. ill never start a thread ever again. EVER

Gold Trumpet

I picked it up today and went straight to Ebert. Enjoyable, but yea, a movie more out of love for him and he can't do as much as with Kane, but very good still.

I'm wondering why MacGuffin hasn't commented on this thread with an opinion.

~rougerum

MacGuffin

"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

moonshiner

have some pride Macguffin, GT says jump you say how high...dying to see this, will blind buy eventually....
the rumble of the train trails off to infinity, a place where no one goes anymore

JC, no not that one

modage

Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Find Your Magali

Did anyone else watch "Carrotblanca"? Pretty groovy cartoon.

I love Tweety Bird playing the role of Peter Lorre.

cine

Yes I, too, watched it. I also loved the Tweeter Lorre character. Now I'm just looking forward to the release of the Warner Legends Collection to see the other Looney Tunes cartoons like Yankee Doodle Daffy.  :-D

NEON MERCURY

.... finally got arounnd to watching this i have nnever seen it before......
.....so theres no sennnse in me giving a critique on a film that billions have said beffore....but this film lived up to all thehype i can say....nnow......

but i like rick's cafe Americana(production design).......it seeems like a cool place to get drunk at.....

Find Your Magali

Quote from: NEON MERCURY.... finally got arounnd to watching this i have nnever seen it before......
.....so theres no sennnse in me giving a critique on a film that billions have said beffore....but this film lived up to all thehype i can say....nnow......

but i like rick's cafe Americana(production design).......it seeems like a cool place to get drunk at.....

Or a cool place to pick on the Nazis.