The 2006 Xixax Awards [April Fools]

Started by Jeremy Blackman, April 01, 2006, 06:33:15 PM

Derek237

Quote from: onomabracadabra on April 03, 2006, 07:36:08 PM
Time doesn't diminish voter apathy. It only exacerbates it.

Exacerbates????

Split Infinitive

Quote from: GoneSavage on April 03, 2006, 03:01:34 PM
I just don't think cancelling it because the right movies didn't get nominated is a little rash, since some people DID take the time to vote and that's apparently what they felt strongly about.  Anyone who didn't vote can't complain about what the nominations are -- it's just that those who did vote feel a little shocked about what happened.  I'm obviously not the most active person here but to see Crash up there means either people who voted did that as a joke or there are a lot of people that don't post much that ended up voting.
I agree completely.  It probably seems a little disingenuous to voice my dismay with the decision to cancel the awards this late in the game, but to say that the nominations don't accurately reflect xixax is B.S.  It's an accurate reflection of those who took the time to vote.  Just because a bunch of Johnny-Come-Latelies popped up ripping on the nominations doesn't mean that the nominations shouldn't count.  It just means that, for whatever reasons, the nominated films are the ones that got nominated.  If people don't like it, they should have voted differently (or just plain voted).  I like the idea of a quorum, but it's a little late to institute one now (for 2005, at least).  I'm all for posting my own nominations (given that I took the better part of an hour deliberating over them); I'm not quite sure why we were told not to do so in the first place.  I realize that I'm a relatively new member and all, so whatever I say will probably be taken with the contents of a salt shaker, but this is a heck of a way to reward the folks who tried to contribute to the community by taking the time to vote.
Please don't correct me. It makes me sick.

Gamblour.

You know, it's funny, at this point the only films I haven't seen from last year are basically Syriana and Match Point, but part of the reason I didn't do the ballot (apart from all that's been said: it's April already, done with voting after great Dekapenticon, not enough time, plus I'm busy as hell) is that I have too many movies in mind to wade through. It's rather ironic, or more paradoxical, but having the awards earlier, even though people can't see them all, isn't a bad thing.
WWPTAD?

Sleepless

Is anyone going to tell us how many people actually voted? Just so we can try and figure out how this happened? I mean, I voted, but the list is vastly different to my noms.

I think the big problem with 2005 was that there were just no Xixax movies present. PTA, Lynch, the Coens.... all absent. Sure we had some of our favourite actors and actresses, but the stuff they were in wasn't that great. As a result all the noms seem to be mainly split between mediocre films by established film-makers (e.g. War of The Worlds, Sin City, Star Wars) and just plain offbeat stuff that really isn't that great, just not mainstream. So the noms are a weird mix of crap studio blockbusters and crap indie films that don't really have naything to offer. There was just no balance. There were plenty of great films in 2005. But for whatever reason the final list of nominations is just plain bizarre. Just one example - King Kong. Now, I was not a fan of that film, for many reasons which I will not go into here, but that not to say I recognise it as a *bad* film. I know a hell of a lot of people on here loved it, and yes it does have severl nominations, but is totally missed out of the visual effects catergory? That is bizarre.

It would be very interesting if people listed their lists of nominations since the awards have been cancelled now anyway, just so we can try to figure out what went wrong. Cos this just doesn't seem like an xixax list - more a crude mesh up of two completely different groups of movie-goers.

I'll say it again. Bizarre.
He held on. The dolphin and all the rest of its pod turned and swam out to sea, and still he held on. This is it, he thought. Then he remembered that they were air-breathers too. It was going to be all right.

NEON MERCURY

Quote from: Jeremy Blackman on April 03, 2006, 01:55:40 PM
In reponse to the public reaction to the nominations and a large number of PMs we've received in the last couple days, we have decided to cancel the 2006 Xixax Awards.

:yabbse-rolleyes:, i think thats a bit immature....its like just because the hip choices didnt get nominated, we are going to act like douche bags/brats and cancel it....how pathetic can you get...and the crash thing was funny..even i didnt nominate it..

Gamblour.

Immature? Can you even justify the nominations?
WWPTAD?

squints

now this isn't even funny. how dare xixax toy with my fragile emotions.  :yabbse-sad:
"The myth by no means finds its adequate objectification in the spoken word. The structure of the scenes and the visible imagery reveal a deeper wisdom than the poet himself is able to put into words and concepts" – Friedrich Nietzsche

polkablues

Well played, you dirty sons of whores.   :bravo:
My house, my rules, my coffee

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

Bravo.  I won't accredit this whole joke to myself, but I wonder if it would've happened had I not mentioned the lack of April Fool's joke.
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

MacGuffin

Quote from: Walrus on April 04, 2006, 03:46:11 PM
Bravo.  I won't accredit this whole joke to myself, but I wonder if it would've happened had I not mentioned the lack of April Fool's joke.

It would have. We planned it right after everyone was on suicide watch from Crash winning the Best Picture Oscar.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

ono

Quote from: Jeremy Blackman on April 03, 2006, 01:55:40 PM
In reponse to the public reaction to the nominations and a large number of PMs we've received in the last couple days, we have decided to cancel the 2006 Xixax Awards.

Didja really receive PMs?  Any brave soul willing to share what they said in panic?

GoneSavage

Nice.  I should have known something was up when admins like Pubrick, modage, MacGuffin, cbrad didn't say SHIT about the results, I would expect them to be vocal about the bizarre results, except for MacGuffin who would have just posted a news piece on it. 
Great job on the prank.
*insert emoticon flipping the bird but smiling*

picolas

life_boy

Highlights:

Quote from: Jeremy Blackman on April 01, 2006, 06:33:15 PM
BEST FEMALE PERFORMANCE
Catherine Keener - "Capote"

BEST MALE PERFORMANCE
Colin Farell - "New World"
Christian Bale- "New World"

BEST SUPPORTING MALE PERFORMANCE
Christopher Plummer - "Syriana"

BEST EDITING
King Kong

BEST DOCUMENTARY
Darwin's Nightmare

The whole gag was well-executed but those were my personal favorite moments.