Recent French Cinema

Started by Reinhold, March 28, 2006, 12:44:08 PM

Reinhold

There was a small film festival at school this weekend. http://www.focusonfrenchcinema.com/schedule.htm

I saw 11 relatively recent French features in 35mm, some of which were US premieres.

my favorites were Le Petit Lieutenant, Confidences Trop Intimes, and Brodeuses

also in the festival were: Mon Petit Doigt M'a Dit, Les Soeurs Fachees, L'Anniversaire, Rois Et Reine, Moolade, Le Petit Lili, Le Bonheur C'est Une Chanson Triste and Monsieur N.

did anybody else see any of these? i'm interested to hear your thoughts. i feel strongly one way or the other about a few of them, but i don't really know where to start the conversations, and i don't think they need their own threads just yet.

Quote from: Pas Rap on April 23, 2010, 07:29:06 AM
Obviously what you are doing right now is called (in my upcoming book of psychology at least) validation. I think it's a normal thing to do. People will reply, say anything, and then you're gonna do what you were subconsciently thinking of doing all along.

meatwad

i only saw three

- Mon Petit Doigt M'a Dit
- L'Anniversaire
- Moolade

i thought they were all just average. none of them made me want to seek out more work from anybody involved. the filmmakers who i saw speak did not impress me either

i felt much more fulfilled watching the three burials of melquiades estrada and renoir's la bete humaine during the same weekend as the festival, all in my bedroom away from the embarassing old people who attented all the screenings.

Reinhold

those were all the free ones, right?

you didn't get ripped off, but you certainly didn't see the best of what was there.
Obviously what you are doing right now is called (in my upcoming book of psychology at least) validation. I think it's a normal thing to do. People will reply, say anything, and then you're gonna do what you were subconsciently thinking of doing all along.

Pubrick

did you watch Le Petit Lili, starring my raison d'ĂȘtre ?

i recently saw L'enfant, which was pretty amazing. if i ever get around to reviewing it i'll post about it in the actual thread.
under the paving stones.

Reinhold

Quote from: Pubrick on March 29, 2006, 01:42:26 AM
did you watch Le Petit Lili, starring my raison d'ĂȘtre ?

i recently saw L'enfant, which was pretty amazing. if i ever get around to reviewing it i'll post about it in the actual thread.

http://www.focusonfrenchcinema.com/lili.htm

i don't believe she is in it. (was that a joke i missed?) it's an adaptation of Chekov's The Seagull.

Pubrick

Quote from: Xidentity Crixax on March 29, 2006, 11:14:59 AM
http://www.focusonfrenchcinema.com/lili.htm

i don't believe she is in it. (was that a joke i missed?) it's an adaptation of Chekov's The Seagull.
CAST:
Ludivine Sagnier: Lili
under the paving stones.

Reinhold

sorry. that picture of her looks nothing like she looks in the movie.