Take Away The Frogs!

Started by panandscam, July 16, 2003, 10:35:23 PM

panandscam

**SPOILERS INCLUDED**

I have been wondering ever since I created my own theory about the Frog Scene in Magnolia that if this was removed would the end seem at all believable, Would the ending be seen as a slack attempt to wrap up the story arc's in a hurry ? Personally I believe that its an amazing sequence of events.. but do the frogs make all the difference

i.e...

Drug addict  and Cop have relationship cemented
Cop Helps thief return the funds
Estranged son makes peace with father on his death bed
Ambulance taking Overdose Victim to hospital crashes and The victim survives 2 almost fatal incidents in one day
Suicide is stoped by 'act of god'
etc..

Thoughts anyone ?
and sometimes it goes the other way

Alethia

yes but ironically enough i would have felt cheated

Pubrick

ppl need to get over the frogs.
under the paving stones.

chainsmoking insomniac

Panandscam, without the frog ending the entire prologue wouldn't have made sense.  "These things happen...." to paraphrase.  Plus, the movie just would not have been as unique and shocking without the rain of frogs.  IMO, anyway.
"Ernest Hemingway once wrote: 'The world's a fine place, and worth fighting for.'  I agree with the second part."
    --Morgan Freeman, Se7en

"Have you ever fucking seen that...? Ever seen a mistake in nature?  Have you ever seen an animal make a mistake?"
 --Paul Schneider, All the Real Girls

Something Spanish

GOD. I hate it when people say: (In Pestering Tone of Voice) Take away the violence out of Movie X and what remains?

The only film that statement applies to is Boogie Nights. What would it be had PT not revealed Dirk's schlong. BO-RING.

Pubrick

Quote from: Shaun DigiGOD. I hate it when people say: (In Pestering Tone of Voice) Take away the violence out of Movie X and what remains?
that's weird cos i was just watching the anime movie X

and it woulda sucked without the violence.
under the paving stones.

Rudie Obias

Quote from: Shaun Digi

What would it be had PT not revealed Dirk's schlong. BO-RING.

you must really have a horrible attention span if you thought BOOGIE NIGHTS was boring.  cinematic moron!
\"a pair of eyes staring at you, projected on a large screen is what cinema is truly about.\" -volker schlöndorff

chainsmoking insomniac

Ouch.  I think what he meant was the film would have been exciting w/o the cock shot, but it (like a Magnolia w/o frogs) would not have had as cool an ending.
"Ernest Hemingway once wrote: 'The world's a fine place, and worth fighting for.'  I agree with the second part."
    --Morgan Freeman, Se7en

"Have you ever fucking seen that...? Ever seen a mistake in nature?  Have you ever seen an animal make a mistake?"
 --Paul Schneider, All the Real Girls

markums2k

Quote from: panandscamThoughts anyone ?

This is the dumbest thread I've seen in a long time.  But I like your name.  :-D

What would Magnolia be like without the frogs?  Who the fuck cares?  But one thing is for certain: We know what Magnolia would be like without Orlando Jones.

Something Spanish

I think rudieob has never heard of the word sarcasm. Maybe because he is a jerk and a moron. I dunno.

Alethia

Quote from: Shaun DigiI dunno.

yes you do.

Pozer

Quote from: rudieob
Quote from: Shaun Digi

What would it be had PT not revealed Dirk's schlong. BO-RING.

you must really have a horrible attention span

Will the REAL moron here please shut up?!

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

Are you kidding?  Remove the frogs?  Seriously.  You never payed attention.  The 8:2's hidden everywhere lead to it.  There's a huuuge thread showing pics of it.  So what you're implying is take out all the 8:2's, as well?  

The reason I liked the frogs is because people who like movies liked that scene.  People who liked Fast and the Furious were like "Whoa! Frogs!  This is gay!  I wasted 3 hours!"  Why someone who didn't appreciate movies woudl watch Magnolia is beyond me, though.

In short...the frogs, i feel, seperated the fans from the uh...not fans.
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

aclockworkjj

I grew up in the country, there was a small stream, amongst a highway, me and my bud....used to catch frogs in the stream, and .....throw them on the highway.....cars and frogs, makes for a shitty Frogger game.....I feel like a smuck 'till this day......

Rudie Obias

Quote from: Shaun DigiI think rudieob has never heard of the word sarcasm. Maybe because he is a jerk and a moron. I dunno.

sarcasm on the internet is like a dog with a gun.  no one knows where he got it and it's dangerous to everyone.
\"a pair of eyes staring at you, projected on a large screen is what cinema is truly about.\" -volker schlöndorff