Horror

Started by TenseAndSober, April 22, 2003, 05:01:56 PM

Ghostboy

Quote from: squints on October 29, 2010, 11:45:11 AM
What part are you pointing at that "almost jumps the shark?"

The stuff with the neighbor. It serves its purpose, but as far as narrative logic go, it comes out of nowhere and is then dropped with a handy "the moved away six months later and were never heard from again."

The stuff with the brother was actually ingenious, I thought.

squints

Quote from: modage on November 01, 2010, 05:18:47 PM
just avoid the trailers and await a US release datemake.
"The myth by no means finds its adequate objectification in the spoken word. The structure of the scenes and the visible imagery reveal a deeper wisdom than the poet himself is able to put into words and concepts" – Friedrich Nietzsche

Stefen

Gotta hand it to you, mod. You had a pretty epic month in terms of viewings.  :bravo:
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

modage

Thanks!  Yeah, the last few years have been a little slow because my girlfriend isn't into horror movies so I have been strategically exposing her to ones I think she might like so she doesn't reject them outright, as well as making time for me to watch the stuff she'll hate by myself.  I actually watched a few favorites (Aliens, Night of the Living Dead) I wanted to review for Best Horror but just didn't have the time.   :yabbse-undecided:
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

I miss the 10 skull ratings, though.  It made them seem official.

"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

modage

I know.  Well I only did them for movies I was re-reviewing that were my favorites, never for movies I was seeing for the first time.  I fully intended to do them for Night of the Living Dead and Aliens which I rewatched this year, I just ran out of time.  They took so long to do with the screenshots and everything.  Maybe I'll still get around to it.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

RegularKarate

I completely failed at this endeavor.  I thought having someone that likes horror movies with me would encourage me to watch more, but I was just too busy.  

Halloween night, I did end up seeing both "The Car" and "Chopping Mall" for my weekly bad movie night.

"The Car" looked promising as a bad movie.  It pre-dates Christine and is loaded with bad 70's low-budget filmmaking.  It was super boring though.  The kills are almost all poorly edited to cover up the lack of stunt-work and special effects required to show a car killing people and you never really find anything out about the car other than it's haunted.

"Chopping Mall" on the other hand is a grade A bad movie.  Full of bad acting, horror cliches, and really forced 80s dialog.  The movie is called "Chopping Mall", but there is NO chopping, instead, it's about security robots that get hit by lightning, turn evil, and kill a mall full of partying teenagers.  Like a horror version of Short Circuit.  So fun and shitty.

modage

Did you watch The Walking Dead yet?

RegularKarate

Quote from: modage on November 02, 2010, 02:15:55 PM
Did you watch The Walking Dead yet?

DVRd... will be watching tonight I think.

Gamblour.

So this is one I feel very late getting on the bandwagon for, but holy shit.

DEAD ALIVE!

I just saw it the other night and I could not believe what disgusting genius I was witnessing. I mean, why would anyone even bother making zombie comedy/horror after that!? They fucking nail it. The story is shit, sure, but every single bit with the gore is so abundantly creative that it was just a (nauseating) pleasure to watch.

I gagged about 5 times while watching it, but I think this is one of my favorite movies of all time. Absolutely fucking brilliant.

Curiously, I noticed some strange similarities between this film and District 9: the wide-eyed, boyish, naive protagonist who doesn't want to hurt anybody, who by the end is a disgusting mess (that's a stretch, but still). And that Peter Jackson got involved with D9 makes the connection even more interesting.
WWPTAD?

Reel

so I'm watching this movie Kingdom of the Spiders this morning on IFC, and everytime this Piano cue comes up when something scary happens I can't help but recognize it from being used in another movie.

It's the same sound you near the beginning of this trailer at 00:06 and 00:13

Someone else has got to know where this is from! Or else it's going to bother me all day, thanks...

Pubrick

not sure which bit you're talking about.. everything in that trailer sounds like standard cheap musical effects.
under the paving stones.

socketlevel

are you talking about the high piano notes? it does sound familiar but i don't think it's actually stolen.

I went to see "the way back" this weekend and one of the trailers before it started used part of the goblin's suspiria soundtrack. It was pretty boss hearing it in a non-horror film.

the one last hit that spent you...

modage

Quote from: socketlevel on February 10, 2011, 10:17:22 AM
I went to see "the way back" this weekend and one of the trailers before it started used part of the goblin's suspiria soundtrack. It was pretty boss hearing it in a non-horror film.

It was for Jane Eyre.

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

Last year, in honor of Halloween, I embarked on watching 31 Horror Films.  The theme was horror films that had been remade, but the list was comprised of the originals.  For the most part, they're better.  Though in the case of The Fly or The Thing, both are great in their own ways.  I can post the list I watched if anyone is interested.  I mostly used my own DVD's staggered with Netflix releases and Watch Instantly material.

This October, my plan is to do the sequel to the marathon.  I'm going to watch 31 Number Two's (yes, I recognize the inherent poop joke.)  I realize it's only going to be September soon, but I need some help putting a list together from anyone who can help either add to my list or recommend I avoid any or make sure not to miss. 

So far, I have two rules:

#1: No direct to DVD sequels, I want to see movies that were intended for the mass public to go to a theater and potentially be wowed by (exception to this rule: Cabin Fever 2.  I loved House of the Devil and haven't seen this, and I've been hearing it's great. I don't think it had a theatrical release.  If you can justify any direct to DVD sequels to me, they will be considered)
#2: It has to end in #2.  The gimmick of this whole ordeal is that striking sound of 2, the implication of continuation from the first, not like a new story as in Return of, Revenge of, or something like I STILL Know What You Did Last Summer)

Sequel Pool
(your help in culling this list is much appreciated)

Hills Have Eyes 2
Evil Dead 2
Troll 2
Friday the 13th 2
Halloween 2
Psycho 2
Exorcist 2
Poltergeist 2
Leprechaun 2
Slumber Party Massacre 2
Sleepaway Camp 2
Nightmare On Elm Street 2
Paranormal Activity 2
Pumpkinhead 2
Ghoulies 2
Critters 2
Puppet Master 2
Hellraiser 2
Species 2
The Fly 2
Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2
Candyman 2
Silent Night, Deadly Night 2
Relic 2
Mimic 2
Scream 2
Omen 2
House 2
It's Alive 2
Hatchet 2
Hostel 2
Saw 2
Child's Play 2
Children of the Corn 2
REC 2
Howling 2
Basket Case 2
Cabin Fever 2
Jaws 2
C.H.U.D. 2
Ring 2
Grudge 2
Blair Witch Project 2
Final Destination 2

(some of these may be direct to DVD sequels that have been recommended but I'm otherwise iffy on and need help deciding and/or I'm not sure if they were direct to DVD or not)

Suggestions are welcome, then by the end of September, I'll arrange it into the top 31 and will prepare for the ride of my life.  I encourage all who have the constitutional fortitude to join me.
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye