Terry Gilliam - Lost In La Mancha

Started by MacGuffin, January 22, 2003, 05:10:52 PM

MacGuffin

Sweden to Salute Director Terry Gilliam

Terry Gilliam will receive the Stockholm Visionary Award at the Stockholm film festival in November.

Organizers cited Gilliam's "unique inventiveness which has captured the hearts and minds of film enthusiasts everywhere."

Gilliam was a member of the Monty Python comedy group before becoming a director. He has directed "Brazil," "Twelve Monkeys," "Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas" and "The Brothers Grimm."

"Through his daring and unquenchable creative power, he has defeated the mighty windmills of the film industry," the award citation said.

Director David Cronenberg had previously been named winner of the Stockholm Lifetime Achievement Award.

Both awards will be presented during the Nov. 17-27 festival in the Swedish capital.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

analogzombie

So I guessThe Brothers Grimm is officially a bomb now, huh?
"I have love to give, I just don't know where to put it."

mogwai

interview with terry gilliam (25 min)

click on WEBBEXKLUSIVT: Hela intervjun med Terry Gilliam! to view the interview.

MacGuffin

Terry Gilliam hopes to resume shooting Don Quixote

PRAGUE (AFP) - American director Terry Gilliam said in Prague that he expects to resume work on Don Quixote, which was set to be the biggest European film ever made but was shelved five days into filming.

"There is a possibility now, for the first time, that we might get the script of Don Quixote back," Gilliam said during a news conference to mark the Czech premiere of his film "The Brothers Grimm".

"If we can get the film out of the hands of the lawyers, then that will be my next project," said the former Monty Python member, adding that he felt "hopeful."

Although rights to the script have been frozen for several years because of a conflict between the French producer and a German insurance company, a decision could come "before the end of the year", Gilliam told AFP following the news conference.

Although Jean Rochefort will not be able to play Don Quixote, "the presence of Johnny Depp is secured," Gilliam added.

Like Orson Welles, G.W. Pabst and Grigori Kozintsev, the director of "Brazil" has long dreamt of adapting the Cervantes masterpiece under the title "The Man Who Killed Don Quixote".

In early 2000, Gilliam gathered 32 million dollars (27 million euros) in financing. But the film starring French singer Vanessa Paradis and Spanish actor Rosy de Palma, Pedro Almodovar's muse, collapsed after only five days of filming in Spain.

Aged 70 at the time, Jean Rochefort suffered from a double hernia which preventing him from mounting a horse, prompting the insurance company to cancel the project.

All that was left to show was a documentary about the making of the film, screened in cinemas as "Lost in La Mancha".

"My best film is the one I have not made yet. When I actually make films, I am always disappointed. So my favorite film at the moment is Don Quixote because it was not finished," joked Gilliam.

The director has overcome his earlier troubles with his latest big budget release, "The Brothers Grimm", which has been pulling in the crowds since the start of October.

His latest creation "Tideland," presented in September at the San Sebatian film festival, should be released next March.

For Gilliam, "the magic of a film is that it fools everybody, some think they will get rich, some that they will get famous, others that they make a great work of art. At the end, something is made and that is reality."
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

Quote from: analogzombie on September 10, 2005, 07:52:03 PM
So I guessThe Brothers Grimm is officially a bomb now, huh?

Gilliam Grim About Miramax's 'Grimm' Promotion

Director Terry Gilliam has accused the Weinstein brothers of abandoning his 2005 movie The Brothers Grimm because, he said, Miramax was paralyzed in its final days under the Weinsteins' leadership. Speaking at the Rotterdam Film Festival, Gilliam charged that the Weinsteins "seemed to be trapped in their own exit. They walked away with a lot in their pockets, but [many] films were abandoned. That's disgraceful. I hope Bob and Harvey are spending their pocket money happily." Today's (Tuesday) New York Post, which reported Gilliam's remarks, observed that critics by and large panned the film, including the Post's own critic. To which Gilliam responded: "All I can say is, we made some noise. The film is at $103 million at the moment, so we're not a flop. It just didn't do what it should have done. In almost every country in the world where the Weinsteins or Disney aren't involved, it opened at number one. That is the irony."

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

Terry Gilliam Talks "Good Omens" 
Source: Teletext

Terry Gilliam is trying to get his next project "Good Omens" off the ground, based on a Terry Pratchett novel. Gilliam told UK news service Teletext: "I have struggled to find big projects that inspire me, but this book has. It's very funny, about the anti-Christ and devils and angels, it's very funny and inspiring. I have tried to find a small project like Tideland that I could do but I haven't found one."

He also claims he has given up going to the cinema as he finds it so dull: "I find it so dispiriting these days, maybe because I'm getting older. Films don't seem to surprise me any more, they don't leave pieces of shrapnel in me like they used to. The last one to do that was probably Crash, which kept playing with my prejudices."

Finally, when asked about his new film "Tideland" he joking talked about one long-time co-worker who wasn't a fan - Monty Python star Michael Palin - "Michael didn't speak to me after the screening, then rang the next day to say he really didn't like it at all. I like that reaction, I want to spark a debate".

Skeleton FilmWorks

Reinhold

Quote from: Pas Rap on April 23, 2010, 07:29:06 AM
Obviously what you are doing right now is called (in my upcoming book of psychology at least) validation. I think it's a normal thing to do. People will reply, say anything, and then you're gonna do what you were subconsciently thinking of doing all along.

polkablues

QuoteTerry Gilliam Likes "Crash"

:yabbse-undecided: :yabbse-lipsrsealed: :yabbse-cry: :yabbse-tongue: ?!!?!??!?!
My house, my rules, my coffee

MacGuffin

Oh No! Johnny Depp No Longer Willing, Able And Available For Long Awaited Terry Gilliam Film

Gilliam is hopping soapbox to soapbox, mouth at full throttle now that Tideland is finally getting released. In recent interviews he's mentioned that his movie of Good Omens is very much moving forward again, with Stephen Evans (The Madness of King George, Confessions of a Dangerous Mind, The Wings of the Dove) now producing.

The production is pencilled in for this Winter, and that actually seems pretty likely, but as Johnny Depp won't be available until next summer, he's now off the project. In fact, Gilliam has noted that his entire range of first and second choice actors for the main roles are signed up to other projects, which probably means no Robin Williams and could even mean no Jonathan Pryce.

It could also mean that a lot of currently unsuspecting thesps are about to get offered the role of their careers. Crowley and Aziraphale are parts to kill for.

Good Omens will be an adaptation of the genuinely laugh-out-loud Apocalypse scomedy by Terry Pratchett and (more to the point?) Neil Gaiman. If you haven't read it, go support your local library.

Of course, there is a growing hope that Gilliam will get The Man Who Killed Don Quixote into production again, a film that, as this same round of interviews has confirmed, he is still determined to make with Depp, and that Depp, thankfully, is still determined to make with him.

Skeleton FilmWorks

gob

I'm just about to watch Lost in La Mancha again, I remember it being good when I first watched it and shaking a fist to the sky every time some new fuck up came along to stop the production. I remember most of all yearning for The Man Who Killed Don Quixote to actually get made.

Tis a shame that Depp can't do Good Omens as any Gilliam and Depp collaboration is worthwhile.

Sunrise

Quote from: gob on July 13, 2006, 03:59:24 PM. . . any Gilliam and Depp collaboration is worthwhile.

Tis the understatement of the year.

modage

ATTN: NYC

TERRY GILLIAM IN PERSON!

Terry Gilliam in person at Time Bandits on October 3 at 7:30!

http://filmforum.org/
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

grand theft sparrow

modage

or if you'd prefer to see tideland instead...

Tideland
Preview screening with Terry Gilliam in person
Monday, October 2, 7:30 p.m.

2005, 122 mins., 35mm. Directed by Terry Gilliam. With Jodelle Ferland, Jeff Bridges. Terry Gilliam's boldest film to date, set in a barren rural landscape, is a shocking and beautifully photographed low-budget adaptation of Mitch Cullin's novel. The film takes us inside the mind of an eleven-year-old girl who develops a fantasy life to escape the abuse of her junkie father. Gilliam will participate in a Pinewood Dialogue following the screening. Tickets: $22 public/$16 Museum members.  https://shop.movingimage.us/shop/catlist.php?cPath=57
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Pozer

2005?  when the hell is this movie really coming out?!