Phantom Thread

Started by wilder, June 02, 2016, 08:21:51 PM

Lewton

My favourite promotional photo from those early days is the one of PTA in his pyjamas on the set of Magnolia.

greenberryhill

Actually there are no photos of him in the set of TWBB with the brown shirt, or at least i haven´t seen them. I 've seen photos of him using a grey/white shirt on the set of TWBB.

Alethia

Quote from: Lewton on February 08, 2018, 01:00:37 PM
So, a very serious post: Phantom Thread's promo photos do not include an image of PTA's brown dress shirt, which is a key production element that links TWBB, TM, and IV. I wonder if it held some sort of sentimental value or was considered a good luck charm or something. At any rate, it was last seen in a photo of Martin Short making PTA laugh on the set of Inherent Vice.

Perhaps it's finally in the Smithsonian, alongside, I'm assuming, Kubrick's glasses and Chaplin's hat or whatever.

I have no idea. It's probably turned to ashes by now, fallen to pieces...

Lewton

Quote from: greenberryhill on February 08, 2018, 02:32:49 PM
Actually there are no photos of him in the set of TWBB with the brown shirt, or at least i haven´t seen them. I 've seen photos of him using a grey/white shirt on the set of TWBB.

Yeah, you're probably right. I must have been thinking of the post-production photos (i.e., the one you posted of him and Day-Lewis).

tpfkabi

I guess Fifty Shades Freed pushed this out of most theaters.
It finally came to my area for a week or two and will gone everywhere close by tomorrow 2/9.
I was expecting it to enter the top 10, but I don't think it did.
I don't think Inherent Vice made it here. It didn't have any awards push to bring it back.
The Master played only one week that I can remember.
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

wilberfan

$14,000,000+ in 6 weeks is pretty disheartening.  (Worldwide, $18M as of last week.)   I think it opened in a bunch more theaters last week, so perhaps these numbers will change a bit?  Still, isn't exactly melting the charts.   Some big-catagory Oscars could only help?

Punch Drunk Hate

The closest theater playing the film is 48 minutes away from where I reside. It's supposedly coming soon according to my local theater site, though I have little faith there will be a substantially time slot for the film.  It makes me jealous of those who live in the big cities that have showings before the rest of the country can see the picture.

Alethia

Chic??!! You ought to be spanked in public, fucking chic!

boogienights

Quote from: wilberfan on February 08, 2018, 08:48:11 PM
$14,000,000+ in 6 weeks is pretty disheartening.  (Worldwide, $18M as of last week.)   I think it opened in a bunch more theaters last week, so perhaps these numbers will change a bit?  Still, isn't exactly melting the charts.   Some big-catagory Oscars could only help?

Yikes that is disheartening, especially how good it was/DDL.

I understand why IV lost money, but I'm surprised The Master did and this isn't looking good.

I'm hoping that home media sales make up for it/ Megan Ellison still finances him.

Quote from: wilder on January 27, 2018, 05:41:45 PM
Quote from: wilder on January 27, 2018, 02:46:04 PM
The blu-ray is up for pre-order

There's a 4K blu-ray release up for pre-order in Canada, so that's probably coming in the US, too. If not, same region code anyway.

Good to know-- if they don't do a US one I'll buy from amazon Canada. It's the perfect movie for a 4K release given it was (to my knowledge) online edited on a flat bed/ scanned to 4K,  so no uprezzing or anything. Would look incredible on my TV.

Quote from: eward on February 09, 2018, 07:42:09 AM
Chic??!! You ought to be spanked in public, fucking chic!

Drawn and quartered, fucking chic!

Alethia

Quote from: boogienights on February 09, 2018, 02:07:02 PM
I'm hoping that home media sales make up for it/ Megan Ellison still finances him.

If I had that money, I'd gladly fund his career regardless of the costs/box office losses. She's a hero.

boogienights

Quote from: Mogambo on February 09, 2018, 06:18:29 AM
This Christopher Nolan's kids watching Phantom Thread story is so wholesome. :)

time: 16:41

https://youtu.be/v2RTMnWdyyU?t=16m41s

What a cool panel

Quote from: eward on February 09, 2018, 02:17:34 PM

If I had that money, I'd gladly fund his career regardless of the costs/box office losses. She's a hero.

Same, and I can't speak for her but she clearly sees something in him that deserves the investment despite the risk, and she has so much money that she can do it. I already respect her for doing so, but if she keeps doing it she'll be a saint for the betterment of movies.

wilberfan

I have to assume there's a certain amount of industry cred or cachet from producing/financing PTA's films.  Perhaps especially if you already have a lot of money, or other films are taking up the slack?  If I had George Harrison money, for example, I certainly would have financed Monty Python films.  There might be a Warner Bros/Kubrick argument in there somewhere as well.  (Not sure what kind of money latter Kubrick films made.)

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: boogienights on February 09, 2018, 03:03:41 PM
Quote from: eward on February 09, 2018, 02:17:34 PM

Same, and I can't speak for her but she clearly sees something in him that deserves the investment despite the risk, and she has so much money that she can do it. I already respect her for doing so, but if she keeps doing it she'll be a saint for the betterment of movies.

Yeah. Megan Ellison's net worth is $41 billion. Phantom Thread's budget was $35 million. She could finance 1,171 of them.

I think she's perfectly fine with losing money on these films. I'll take her at her word:

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/megan-ellison-gives-rare-speech-796478

On stage, Ellison admitted that her work so far in the film industry has had an emotional impact on her. "It has made me feel less alone in the world, and for that, I will always be grateful," she said. "I don't believe in very many things, but art is definitely one of them. And at the top of that list, film and art, influence our world's culture much more than many of us understand and fully respect. Art does not belong to the few, but to the many.

She continued to say that the perspectives filmmakers are putting out in the world should not come from such a small subset of people because that would be a disservice. In closing, she quoted iconic American scribe Kurt Vonnegut, proving that her artistic inspirations also include literature.

"As Kurt Vonnegut said, the arts are not a way to make a living, they are a very human way of making life more bearable. And that's what I believe. And that's what I want to be a part of."

Jeremy Blackman

Just ran across this. Wow...

https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2013/03/megan-ellison-27-producer-zero-dark-thirty

But when The Master opened to much lower receipts than expected, Ellison and Weinstein fell apart. "Harvey told Megan that the film wasn't doing well because P.T.A. and the actors weren't doing enough press," says a source with knowledge of the situation. "Now, that obviously doesn't have much to do with it, but Harvey knows two things before he gets up in the morning: Megan thinks P.T.A. is a god, and P.T.A. isn't going to do more press just because he's asked. So that makes *The Master'*s receipts her fault. And she's 25, so when he tells her that, she believes it. And then he tortures her about it." (Weinstein declined to comment.)

Actions by Weinstein have "brought Megan to tears four or five times," says a source, who adds that Ellison declared upon occasion that she would leave the business if she and Weinstein couldn't get along. But eventually she found her footing. When he began pushing her to make changes to their next movie, Killing Them Softly, starring Brad Pitt—he also moved it from her preferred slot before the election to a holiday date—she refused. In fact, she denied Weinstein a chance to test the movie.

Unfortunately, the film didn't perform well domestically and received a rare F grade on CinemaScore. According to a source, Ellison has vowed not to work with Weinstein again. David O. Russell and the actor Bradley Cooper—who stars in Russell's Silver Linings Playbook, produced and distributed by Weinstein, and will also be in Ellison's new film with Russell—tried to broker peace. (Cooper's publicist did not return messages.) "We did ask her to consider [working with Harvey] in the future, and from there, that's about her relationship with Harvey," says Russell.

wilberfan

Two great finds, Jeremy.  Thanks.   Yeah, she's got Oracle money, (I knew absolutely nothing about her before just now).  Pretty good track record in Hollywood so far, at least in terms of Oscar noms.