Phantom Thread

Started by wilder, June 02, 2016, 08:21:51 PM

csage97

Quote from: wilberfan on February 01, 2018, 02:52:00 PM
Quote from: d on February 01, 2018, 01:15:18 PM
I have poor quality audio of the whole conversation, around 7 minutes - let me know if anyone wants to listen to it.

Yes.  Mandatory.  (We even have an audio wizard that might be able to clean it up.)

If you are referring to me, I will take that as a compliment and hope it's not at all sarcastic. :P I'd be willing to do a bit to make it more listenable if I can!

d

I just e-mailed it to Jeremy and sent all three of you pm with a link to it on my Google drive. Hope you don't mind. The quality is worse than I thought sadly. Anyway, though the conversation was short, it was cool to see two of them together, which is a rare thing, isn't it?

Minor thing I thought of - Anderson said Alma is an immigrant from Eastern Europe and I guess I read that before somewhere else. Being Eastern European myself, the name (and also the surname said in the scene Reynolds middle name is also said) does not sound Eastern European to me at all. Or am I missing something?

Jeremy Blackman

Here it is:

http://xixax.com/files/PTAsouthbankJG.aac

If there's a new version made, I can upload that as well.

Drenk

There was a masterclass with PTA at the premiere I attended. It was filmed so I'll post the link when the video will appear.

NOT REALLY SPOILERS BUT SPOILERS IF YOU DON'T WANT TO KNOW ANYTHING

He compared Krieps and Day-Lewis to boxers and that he had never seen someone being like that with Daniel. He gave an example: at some point in a scene at the beginning of the movie, she gives a long pause and PTA said that he could sense Day-Lewis wondering if she were fucking with him or if she had forgotten the line and, just when it was too much, she said her line...

AND REAL SPOILERS

And he lied about the breakfast scene, saying that no sound was made more noisy than it was, which is total bullshit since there is a whole article about the sound design of that scene. It was such an unnecessary lie!
Ascension.

Fitzroy

Movie is released in the UK today. Finally going to see it this evening!

Mentioned to my Granddad last night that I was going to see a film called Phantom Thread.

He's hard of hearing and thought I said 'Phantom Fred'.

New internet handle methinks...

csage97

Quote from: wilberfan on February 01, 2018, 11:30:54 PM
Quote from: csage97 on February 01, 2018, 03:57:54 PM
Quote from: wilberfan on February 01, 2018, 02:52:00 PM
Quote from: d on February 01, 2018, 01:15:18 PM
I have poor quality audio of the whole conversation, around 7 minutes - let me know if anyone wants to listen to it.

Yes.  Mandatory.  (We even have an audio wizard that might be able to clean it up.)

If you are referring to me, I will take that as a compliment and hope it's not at all sarcastic. :P I'd be willing to do a bit to make it more listenable if I can!

I was indeed referring to you, and sarcasm-free!  You did wonderful things with my post-screening interview audio way back in November (!)

Cool! Thanks. Glad I could assist!

I can take a look at that new file pretty soon, likely tonight or tomorrow in the day.

Fuzzy Dunlop

boogienights

Quote from: wilberfan on February 02, 2018, 12:17:16 PM
Quote from: Mogambo on February 02, 2018, 11:51:57 AM
This. (Not a review)

https://news.sky.com/story/amp/in-this-years-oscars-race-only-one-film-stands-out-11230525

QuoteThis year more than ever, the best picture contenders seem to be a who's who of diversity and inclusion.

A gay romance, a racial satire, a feminist coming-of-age, an anti-Trump protest film, a fantasy sci-fi about social inclusion, a racially-charged drama about police brutality and, not one, but two British movies about the heroism and glory of the politics of yesteryear.

These are all relevant movies, some of them are even good. But they are not the year's best.

They are the Academy's fear of its own shadow.

QuoteBut in its clumsy quest to erase past mistakes, the Oscars have become irrelevant - a sub-product of an industry detached from its purpose and muddied by politics.

Still, in the midst of all the box-ticking and crowd pleasing, there is one movie whose artistic flair warrants a place in the pantheon.

Paul Thomas Anderson's Phantom Thread is, in every way, a masterpiece. It's beautiful and strange and unique. The tale of a narcissistic and spoiled couturier who falls in love with a waitress.

For me, personally, Thread is literally the only one of the Best Picture nominees that impressed me.  The others I either actively disliked, was disappointed by, or found rather unexceptional.   

Thread was my favorite of the nominations, i did like (not love) Shape of Water, and thought Dunkirk was a great tech temo. Hated Three Billboards, was bored by Get Out. The rest I haven't seen. 

But Thread was my favorite film of the year hands down (biased of course, but still).

The industry awards have become too political, they literally mean nothing anymore. I probably won't watch, I'll just look up the winners the next day.

Drenk

Digital: March 27.
DVD/Blu Ray: April 10.

Camera Tests With audio commentary by Paul Thomas Anderson
For the Hungry Boy A collection of deleted scenes. Music by Jonny Greenwood
House of Woodcock Fashion Show Fashion Show narrated by Adam Buxton
Behind the Scenes Photographs Photographs from the film by Michael Bauman with demo versions of Jonny Greenwood's score
Ascension.

wilberfan

Double Feature! Paul Thomas Anderson In Person!
PHANTOM THREAD / PUNCH-DRUNK LOVE
Program includes the Haim music video "Valentine" (2017, 14 min. Dir. Paul Thomas Anderson).

Discussion following PHANTOM THREAD with director Paul Thomas Anderson, moderated by Jim Hemphill.

http://www.americancinemathequecalendar.com/content/phantom-thread-punch-drunk-love

Los Angeles Cinematheque, Egyptian Theatre, Hollywood, Feb 13th, 2018

[ spits coffee clear across the room and jumps online to order ticket ]

giodashorts

I would love to go to this, and perhaps I might (although, knowing this, it will probably sell out very quickly), but I'm not sure I can go and watch the film again, after watching it again (a DCP). Hopefully the film will be in focus!

wilberfan

giodashorts

A lot of great art there! The same night, at the Aero, they're showing 'Dunkrik' and 'Interstellar' in 70mm. Interesting. Both theaters have a great selection of films this month, I have to say.

polkablues

There are a ton of amazing designs in there, but this is the one I would want as a poster on my wall:

My house, my rules, my coffee

Lewton

So, a very serious post: Phantom Thread's promo photos do not include an image of PTA's brown dress shirt, which is a key production element that links TWBB, TM, and IV. I wonder if it held some sort of sentimental value or was considered a good luck charm or something. At any rate, it was last seen in a photo of Martin Short making PTA laugh on the set of Inherent Vice.

Perhaps it's finally in the Smithsonian, alongside, I'm assuming, Kubrick's glasses and Chaplin's hat or whatever.