Phantom Thread

Started by wilder, June 02, 2016, 08:21:51 PM

wilberfan

Quote from: boogienights on December 27, 2017, 01:47:33 PM
What theater was it? I'd prefer to avoid a focus problem if possible.

I wonder if a pre-screening request to check focus would be useful?  (Or is that the equivalent of your soup coming back with spit in it?)

giodashorts

Yeah, I would think that would be useful. Unfortunately, the film had already started before I noticed this -- although, I noticed this very quickly -- I didn't want to leave the theater for it. It didn't really affect the film too much, but it really shouldn't happen. It should be in focus (all the way from top to bottom). And this was the 'Landmark' theater. I had seen 'The Hateful Eight' there when that showed in 70mm, and there were no problems at all. But there you go. Some people might not really have noticed it -- they all seemed to really enjoy the film.

It felt like I was watching something that had an age to it. There's always this kind of mysterious quality to the people surrounding the main characters in PTA's films. They just seem to exist in the space. It makes me excited by the idea that, hopefully, people will continue to value film. It feels so natural to watch film projected in the theater. It's very beautiful. I think this film will last for a very long time. 

csage97

Quote from: giodashorts on December 27, 2017, 04:54:30 PMIt felt like I was watching something that had an age to it. There's always this kind of mysterious quality to the people surrounding the main characters in PTA's films. They just seem to exist in the space. It makes me excited by the idea that, hopefully, people will continue to value film. It feels so natural to watch film projected in the theater. It's very beautiful. I think this film will last for a very long time.

This excites me a lot. I just can't wait to catch this movie. Unfortunately, I'm not in one of the major US cities, so the earliest I can see it is Jan 5th in Toronto (not too bad, but I've been too curious and hyped up to not check out reviews, interviews, trailers, etc.). I'm still hoping it comes to my local Landmark or Cineplex, and if not those then the Film House downtown, which shows a bunch of indie films and non-blockbusters. But boy how I envy those who get to see the film projections.

I think I'm even more excited for this film than I was for Inherent Vice ... and Pynchon is my favourite novelist. The ornate images, DDL matched by two amazing female roles, Jonny Greenwood doing romantic music, Britain, tea, art ... it's all just so wonderful. It's everything I want in a film at the moment (oh gosh, I'm starting to get gushy and hysterical).

Even though I started out as solely interested in the new PTA film rather than DDL/DDL's last performance, I'm now enthralled that he's in another role, and a PTA one at that. DDL's commitment to the craft and his willingness to put all he has into the preparation is inspiring, and I know it's going to be a wonderful thing and a treat to watch such a person on screen.

boogienights

Quote from: giodashorts on December 27, 2017, 04:54:30 PM
Yeah, I would think that would be useful. Unfortunately, the film had already started before I noticed this -- although, I noticed this very quickly -- I didn't want to leave the theater for it. It didn't really affect the film too much, but it really shouldn't happen. It should be in focus (all the way from top to bottom). And this was the 'Landmark' theater. I had seen 'The Hateful Eight' there when that showed in 70mm, and there were no problems at all. But there you go. Some people might not really have noticed it -- they all seemed to really enjoy the film.

It felt like I was watching something that had an age to it. There's always this kind of mysterious quality to the people surrounding the main characters in PTA's films. They just seem to exist in the space. It makes me excited by the idea that, hopefully, people will continue to value film. It feels so natural to watch film projected in the theater. It's very beautiful. I think this film will last for a very long time.

I just got back from seeing it at the Arclight 70mm, it looked amazing, the blow up was great, looked more or less the same as the 35mm print, but bigger and a little better. Blew my buddy away too. Did not notice any focus problems

Fuzzy Dunlop

Quote from: boogienights on December 27, 2017, 09:56:18 PM
I just got back from seeing it at the Arclight 70mm, it looked amazing, the blow up was great, looked more or less the same as the 35mm print, but bigger and a little better. Blew my buddy away too. Did not notice any focus problems

Same -- Arclight Hollywood's 70mm print is gorgeous, definitely a step up from the print I saw at the Fine Arts early screening (which I believe was a 35 print?). Arclight sound and picture are always top notch. Curious to see the DCP too just to compare but I'll probably just keep seeing the 70 print as long as its still playing.

boogienights

Quote from: Fuzzy Dunlop on January 01, 2018, 06:23:51 PM
Quote from: boogienights on December 27, 2017, 09:56:18 PM

Same -- Arclight Hollywood's 70mm print is gorgeous, definitely a step up from the print I saw at the Fine Arts early screening (which I believe was a 35 print?). Arclight sound and picture are always top notch. Curious to see the DCP too just to compare but I'll probably just keep seeing the 70 print as long as its still playing.

Yes the Fine Arts wa sa 35mm print. We saw it at the same theaters. I am interested in the DCP as well. Having a very hard time not going again, but having seen it twice already I also don't want to spoil it quickly.

wilberfan

Question:  I can't tell which screenings at the ArcLight (ie, 'The Dome') are actually in that auditorium.  There doesn't seem to be any indication on the website, and the start times are an hour apart in some cases.  What am I missing? 

jenkins

it's reserved seating. you select your seat. you see the seats. you feel me.

wilberfan

Quote from: jenkins on January 04, 2018, 06:47:19 PM
it's reserved seating. you select your seat. you see the seats. you feel me.

Of course, but it must be running in TWO DIFFERENT auditoriums, based on the fact that some of the start times are only an hour apart...

jenkins

that's Star Wars. there's a thing next to it for the Dome also, and like i said you select your seat so you can see the size of the auditorium you'll be in.

wilberfan

Quote from: jenkins on January 04, 2018, 06:57:57 PM

that's Star Wars. there's a thing next to it for the Dome also, and like i said you select your seat so you can see the size of the auditorium you'll be in.

Yep.  Actually managed to reach a human there.  Auds 3 & 6 are running PT, Star Wars in the Dome.

jenkins

here's why Star Wars is there on a 4 week stay

QuoteDisney is reportedly, per the Wall Street Journal, demanding a 65% cut of The Last Jedi's domestic ticket sales along with a four-week hold in each venue's largest auditorium and a 5% B.O. penalty to any theater owner who breaks any part of the contract including taking the film off-screen

boogienights

Quote from: wilberfan on January 04, 2018, 06:39:11 PM
Question:  I can't tell which screenings at the ArcLight (ie, 'The Dome') are actually in that auditorium.  There doesn't seem to be any indication on the website, and the start times are an hour apart in some cases.  What am I missing?

Not in the dome I think cinemas 3 and 6, I saw it in cinema 3 it was stunning.

Dome is probably for Star Wars, while it's a cool theater I wouldn't worry too much the Arclight has a really high level of picture and sound throughout and I *believe* cinema 3 was constant height, I.E. the right way to exhibit movies.

It's a little bit of a bummer given IV was shown at the dome, but at the same time Phantom Thread is 1.85:1 doesn't need that huge auditorium.

EDIT: Redundant information, sorry.

jenkins

frankly i think it's within the logic of theaters to expect it in the Dome. Jan 14 is the 4 week end of Star Wars and Jan 19 is the wide release of Phantom Thread. it'll still be at theater and there's logic in wanting the full use of your 70mm print.

Quote from: jenkins on December 27, 2017, 11:14:10 AM

deliberate or accidental how would i know. this is how it's listed in imdb showtimes

this is still true and it makes far more sense that it's indeed a deliberate joke. Xixax i know you know the joke

wilberfan

Quote from: boogienights on January 04, 2018, 08:27:34 PM
It's a little bit of a bummer given IV was shown at the dome, but at the same time Phantom Thread is 1.85:1 doesn't need that huge auditorium.

Interesting point.  I think it's revealing of my PTA-centricity that I assumed Thread would be in the Dome.  Also perhaps because that's where we saw The Master on it's opening weekend...