Phantom Thread

Started by wilder, June 02, 2016, 08:21:51 PM

Drenk

I have seen a 70mm print of IV. My sight isn't the best there is but it looked like regular 35mm. I don't see the point of making those.
Ascension.

Reel

I guess it's no so much that you're getting a "clearer" image like with DCP, but the fact that the film is twice the size means it doesn't have to be blown up as much to fit the screen. So, you're kind of getting a denser image, if that makes any sense.

giodashorts

Yes. When I saw 'Inherent Vice' on 70mm in the cinema, it was truly magnificent. The colors and the movement (of the film -- stability) was wonderful. I'd love to see 'Phantom Thread' in 70mm. Of course, 35mm would be great as well. I wonder if they did "negative cutting" on this film. It can, in some instances, be observed, in a DCP or Blu-ray, for having a slight wobble between certain cuts (at least I have noticed this on some films).

WorldForgot

Quote from: Drenk on December 09, 2017, 12:02:02 PM
I have seen a 70mm print of IV. My sight isn't the best there is but it looked like regular 35mm. I don't see the point of making those.

Having seen both 35mm and its 70mm blow-up, for real for real that the 70 even seemed a lil crushed when compared to the 35's colors. ;_;

boogienights

Quote from: Something Spanish on December 09, 2017, 10:58:37 AM
As if it isn't bad enough we have to wait till the 19th, we also have to settle for DCP projection while NY/LA flaunts 70MM prints.

DCP is fine, I actually think blowing up 35mm to 70 is dumb, like someone else said I saw Inherent Vice on 70mm looked just like a 35mm projection.

I think 35mm screenings would be cooler, but having seen it on 35mm I actually would like to see it next on a DCP, soak in the photography from a perfect scan. Just my opinion though, great film no matter how you see it though.

wilder

csage97

New clip here. There is some dialogue, which could be considered lightly spoilerish, so don't watch if you want to go into the movie fresh. http://ew.com/movies/2017/12/15/phantom-thread-daniel-day-lewis-vicky-krieps-clip/

Just Withnail

Nice. There aren't really any plot spoilers there, but it certainly revealed a side of DDL's performance that hasn't been seen in the trailers.

Lewton

I know this is technically old news, but based on what I've seen, this promotional photo is one of the best that have accompanied any PTA movie.

Drenk

That soundtrack will never be released or what?
Ascension.

valhalla

Quote from: wilberfan on December 17, 2017, 12:49:56 PM
Quote from: Drenk on December 17, 2017, 12:37:30 PM
That soundtrack will never be released or what?

QuoteWith Paul Thomas Anderson's new film Phantom Thread arriving during the holiday season, we're now getting word on the accompanying soundtrack by Radiohead's Jonny Greenwood. While so far there is no firm release date for the album, it will be arriving via Nonesuch Records.

http://exclaim.ca/film/article/jonny_greenwoods_phantom_thread_score_set_for_release_via_nonesuch

Citing from the Film Music Reporter page: "The soundtrack is expected to be released digitally next month. The CD version is set to come out on January 19, 2018 and is now available for pre-order on Amazon and the vinyl version is available to order here." The pages for the CD and vinyl releases are not up as of this moment, but if it does not digitally release this month, then more than likely it will release all across when the film goes nationwide on January 19th.

martinthewarrior

Vinyl won't be out until Spring because the film locked picture so late.

Riley Jonathawinn Drake

Can any of you fine lads share some quotes you liked from the film?
Nothing spoilerish though.

ono

Quotes are spoilers, though.  Try going to the Spoilers thread if you want stuff from the movie.  Welcome!  Whatever you do, do it carefully.

HACKANUT

found a full track from the nonesuch website