Phantom Thread

Started by wilder, June 02, 2016, 08:21:51 PM

wilberfan

That's reminds me of my last "Live Music PTA Event":  I attended the live-music "Punch-Drunk Love" here in L.A. almost two years ago.  I remember thinking that theater audio had gotten so good these days, that--sitting in the balcony, where the orchestra was out of view--it was really hard to tell the music was "live" at all.   It might have been a slightly better experience if I'd been sitting where I could see the orchestra--but then that would have distracted from watching the film.

I think I ultimately concluded that the whole thing--while awesome (and expensive)--was a bit of a "stunt".  I would have had just as good a time seeing the film "normally" with a huge auditorium full of PTA and PDL fans.  (It was the collective 'vibe' I think I enjoyed the most. It was fun seeing Luiz Guzman in the foyer after, though, too...)  I remember leaving the theater thinking, "Yeah, instead of $70 with a live orchestra, I would have had rather paid $20 just to see the film with this excited crowd."

axxonn

Quote from: d on December 01, 2017, 07:28:09 AM
Quote from: wilberfan on November 29, 2017, 01:20:40 PM
We were just talking about the live musical accompaniment they did for Punch-Drunk Love almost two years ago in NY & LA. It cost me $70, but I really enjoyed it.

I will probably go to London in January but since that will be my first viewing of Phantom Thread I am both excited and slightly worried. With PDL and similar London events for TWBB, I imagine knowing the movies already makes it a different experience. I am sure it will all be nice and pro but the "mix" must be somehow different, right? Isn't live music a little bit distracting? I understand that Greenwood's score here is great but with the first viewing I would like to enjoy the movie and not listen to live concert with the movie somehow ith the background. Do you guys have any suggestions?

Honestly, even as a Londoner I'll probably give the January showing a miss because I've got a feeling the live music will be a distraction for me - it's great for silents but I'm not convinced otherwise. Will have to wait till February for the multiplex style rollout. Which sucks.

Drenk

I found this tweet for people who live in Australia:

"Sydney friends: There is an early screening of PHANTOM THREAD at the Randwick Ritz on Jan 25th at 6:30pm. Go go go!"
Ascension.

wilder

Guys I think it's time to start separate threads for twitter reactions, critic's reviews, and awards news. There are going to be a million more awards and 140 character hot takes in the next few months. Let's try to keep this thread for spoiler-free discussion amongst xixax members. Without some level of organization this forum is going to turn into the greater internet.

Going to leave the info about early screenings members might be able to attend.

Separated threads:

Everything twitter

Phantom Thread - Critic's Reviews

Phantom Thread - Awards Ticker

wilberfan

Phantom Thread posters by Tony Stella

FilmCell

Fitzroy

Hats off to Mr Johnson, that's one of the best summations of my own feelings towards PTA's films that I've ever read.

velociraptor

wilberfan

When we all reconvene on the 26th, I'd like to discuss why he drives so fast...and she seems to care so little that he does. 

Jeremy Blackman

Not sure of the source, but this is interesting:

wilberfan

'Phantom Thread' 70mm Screenings Are Coming to Select Theaters

http://www.slashfilm.com/phantom-thread-70mm-screenings/

December 25: 70mm & digital

Arclight Hollywood, LA
    The Landmark, LA
    AMC Lincoln Square 13, NYC

January 12: 70mm

Alamo Drafthouse New Mission, SF
    Alamo Drafthouse Ritz, Austin
    Alamo Drafthouse Brooklyn, NYC
    The Music Box, Chicago

csage97

Quote from: velociraptor on December 08, 2017, 07:10:59 PM
New little preview:

Lovely shots! That score is amazing. Totally reminds me of Steve Reich. I watched Dunkirk today and, although the soundtrack has some good and appropriate elements, I was disappointed with the music on the whole. I thought, man, if only Jonny Greenwood had done the score for this film! Great work by Hoyt Van Hoytema, though.

ono

Really bummed this doesn't go wide until January 19th.  At first I was wanting to see this on Christmas, but the realized that's only a limited release.  Ugh.

Not to mention, just a warning: it's probably best not to go into anything related to PTA anywhere on the Internet.  Even seemingly innocuous stuff.  I had one little thing about the film spoiled that I'd rather not know, and I'm still really finding it hard to stay away, out of boredom and curiosity.

I didn't care all that much about Inherent Vice because it was adapted material, but it's a great feeling to be truly excited about a PTA film.  Sure, I was excited about CMBB, but that came with the assurances he was doing his own riff on Oil!.  But I digress.

Something Spanish

As if it isn't bad enough we have to wait till the 19th, we also have to settle for DCP projection while NY/LA flaunts 70MM prints.

Heisenberg

Odd that there doesn't seem to be any 35mm showings anywhere. Also, it looks like those of us who don't live in NY or LA have to wait until at least January 12th to see it. Hopefully they will do some general advance screenings before the expansion like they did for Inherent Vice.