Phantom Thread

Started by wilder, June 02, 2016, 08:21:51 PM

jenkins

Pozer

He's still getting these movies made in this day and age and how lucky are we?

Phantom Thread is incredible.

No other human making movies messes with our heads (I'm in the morning after phase!) the way this dude does with these otherworldly environments and weird character traits and insane emotional conflicts he comes up with. I don't even know how to try and sum it up anymore. It's the PTA world. HOW DOES HE COME UP WITH THIS STUFF?

This will become one of my favorites I'm sure. I don't really rank them but it's Master level but it's its own incredible thing.

I mainly had to chime in from the dead to argue against that idiot celebrity stalking Youtuber crying about Paul dropping pens. After the awesome and hilarious Q & A following yesterday's 2 PM screening, he graciously hung about with us freaks, insisting we form the meet and greet line into a circle and talked more about his process and posed for pics with us. AND he had a flight to New York to catch!

Something Spanish

Quote from: BigSock on November 25, 2017, 11:42:35 PM
Does anyone need plus one for DGA screening Sunday
Quote from: modage on November 26, 2017, 09:04:25 AM
Any NYC Xixaxers not get into any of the screenings? I might have an extra for Monday.

xixaxers are the nicest.

budwillies

Any extra tickets available for NYC? Really would love to go.

Jeremy Blackman

^ Just a warning, that track is another MIDI version. It's a lot better than the last one, but I had to stop when the strings kicked in.

Jeremy Blackman

Oh for sure. Just, personally, listening to the whole thing is not worth the spoilage. I should probably wait for the movie anyway.

mogwai

Quote from: Something Spanish on November 24, 2017, 09:04:11 AM
Quote from: mogwai on November 23, 2017, 11:48:32 PM
Don't know if I dig the title. Should be retitled as "Phantom Beaver".

Is that based on your viewing of the film or conjecture?

Im hoping for beaver as there was blood in "There will be blood".

wilberfan

NY Times on couture and the film.  (Not too spoilery).

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/11/28/t-magazine/entertainment/phantom-thread-movie-paul-thomas-anderson.html

QuoteIn 1939, presumably because the model employed to wear his clothes was inadequate, he wore his own ball gowns for Andrew Goodman of Bergdorf Goodman who, nevertheless, placed an order.

QuoteI find these superstitions and traditions to be very exciting," Anderson says of the different couturiers (and their quirks) he researched for the film. "They can make for great stories, great fairy tales." And indeed, fairy tales are one of the primary reasons haute couture still exists today — wedding dresses are the most frequently ordered items in the industry, fit for a make-believe princess (or a real-life one).

New Guild Screenings Announced

London
    Los Angeles
    Miami
    New York
    Palm Springs
    Phoenix
    San Diego
    San Francisco
    Santa Barbara
    Seattle

And a rumor of "something special" courtesy Cigs and Red Vines?

QuoteDespite the strict embargo placed on the critical response until December 7th, the whispers we've heard following the screenings in Los Angeles and New York indicate something really special has been cooked up with this movie.

jviness02

I'm pretty sure the "something special" is the film itself. I read his comment as "Even though there is technically an embargo, we've heard the film is great ".

wilberfan

Quote from: jviness02 on November 28, 2017, 11:39:28 PM

I'm pretty sure the "something special" is the film itself. I read his comment as "Even though there is technically an embargo, we've heard the film is great ".

Yeah, I thnk you're probably right.  That makes more sense, too. 

d

https://www.southbankcentre.co.uk/whats-on/126484-phantom-thread-2018

Wow! Considering the praise Greenwood's score receives that sounds even more awesome. Any Londoners here?

Drenk

Tempting to travel from Paris, but it probably means there will be a premiere there a few days later.
Ascension.

max from fearless

Anyone looking to go to the London orchestral screening?
Tickets onsale tomorrow from 10am unless you're a Southbank member...

boogienights

Hi, new to the forum, I'm the PTA fan wilberfan helped out on the sub reddit.

First and foremost loved the film!

So I got there around 5 so I was waiting around a while, at 6 doors opened and another guy without a ticket saw on Twitter that the Aero theater had a standby line and wondered if the Ahrya was going to do the same.

He went inside while I stood outside with my "Plus 1?" sign. He came out and said they're letting non-rsvp's in.

I went in and the three Focus Features girls all 'awwed' in unison at my sign.

At about 6:45 I went to the restroom and came back to a full house.

I hadn't looked back while waiting for most the hour, I'm guessing the guild members/ RSVP's were not a huge number but they had no problem filling the house.

Thank god I saved my seat by putting my jacket on it, my row went from empty to full by the time I came back.

I think this movie will do just fine.

d

Quote from: wilberfan on November 29, 2017, 01:20:40 PM
We were just talking about the live musical accompaniment they did for Punch-Drunk Love almost two years ago in NY & LA. It cost me $70, but I really enjoyed it.

I will probably go to London in January but since that will be my first viewing of Phantom Thread I am both excited and slightly worried. With PDL and similar London events for TWBB, I imagine knowing the movies already makes it a different experience. I am sure it will all be nice and pro but the "mix" must be somehow different, right? Isn't live music a little bit distracting? I understand that Greenwood's score here is great but with the first viewing I would like to enjoy the movie and not listen to live concert with the movie somehow ith the background. Do you guys have any suggestions?