13 Going On 30

Started by MacGuffin, April 10, 2004, 01:41:54 AM

MacGuffin

Trailer here.

Release Date: April 23rd, 2004 (wide)

Cast: Jennifer Garner (Jenna Rink), Mark Ruffalo (Matt), Kathy Baker (Beverly Rink), Judy Greer (Lucy), Andy Serkis, Samuel Ball, Alex Black (Young Christopher Grandy), Merris Carden (Veronica), Lynn Collins (Wendy), Shana Dowdeswell (Young Jenna), Susan Egan, Mark Gleason, Mary Pat Gleason (Mrs. Flamhaff), Joe Grifasi (Mr. Flarnhaff), Maz Jobrani (Glenn), Alexandra Kyle (Young Tom-Tom), Robinne Lee (Rachel), Sarah Loew (Carla), Renee Olstead (Becky), Philip Pavel (Phil), Phil Reeves (Wayne Rink), Jack Salvatore Jr. (Young Matt), Scout Taylor-Compton (Tiffany), Kiersten Warren

Director: Gary Winick (Tadpole, The Tic Code, Sweet Nothing)

Screenwriter: Josh Goldsmith and Cathy Yuspa (writing team of What Women Want); rewrites by Rita Hsiao (cowriter of Mulan and Toy Story 2), Niels Mueller (cowriter of Tadpole)

Premise: This comedy fantasy is about a gawky girl, Jenna, who is picked on by her peers and classmates for being too eager to be liked and popular (a cruel, never-ending circle, that). Locked in a closet five days before her 13th birthday (after an embarassing round of the "7 minutes in the closet" kissing game), she makes a wish to become popular, and when she gets out of her entrapment, she discovers that she's skipped ahead 17 years to become a sexy and successful advertising agency executive (Garner) just five days shy of her 30th birthday. (Ruffalo plays the "nerdy kid from next door" who has now grown up into being good-looking and charming; Ball plays Jenna's boyfriend, a professional hockey player for the New York Rangers; Serkis plays Jenna's boss; Baker plays Jenna's mother; Gleason plays Ruffalo's mother).

"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

matt35mm

I like Jennifer Garner and I love Alias.  I have complete faith in her acting ability in terms of comic timing and her sense of the absurd.  Every week she has to speak in different languages and wear funny costumes and kick ass, and she does it so well.

I like Mark Ruffalo, and why shouldn't I?  He's a good actor who has a good track record with his films.

With that said... it's gonna be hard for this movie to prove that it's not just a remade Big.  And the commercials for 13 Going On 30 make it seem kinda dorky.

But as far as romantic comedies go, my guess is that this wouldn't be so bad.  Go out on a date, watch this once, have a decent time... seems like that kinda movie.

Kal

The relation with 'Big' is obvious... but one thing that confuses me in the trailer is that she actually wakes up in the future... because she already has a job and her school boyfriend is grown up and everything's different... so what the hell happened? Its probably a dream or something strange.

In Big that was simple because the only one who grew was him and the rest was just the present world and he was the only one different...

I want to see this just because I think she is really hot and a good actress but I dont know if it will work...

matt35mm

Quote from: andykshe is really hot and a good actress

Agreed.

I am also confused about the waking up in the future thing.  She's obviously lived this whole life, but effectively has her memory of years 14-29 wiped out.  Now who in the hell would wish for a thing like that?

But then again, I am in love with Jennifer Garner...

pete

big?  how about peggy sued got married?
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

Chest Rockwell

I bet this will turn out to be some deep and meaningful pic in which she falls in love with the guy, but he's married or some such. So then she goes back in time and gets him as a boyfriend when they're young, thereby changing the ENTIRE future!

Pedro

Quote from: Chest RockwellI bet this will turn out to be some deep and meaningful pic in which she falls in love with the guy, but he's married or some such. So then she goes back in time and gets him as a boyfriend when they're young, thereby changing the ENTIRE future!
well you're probably right, but how is that "deep and meaningful"?

Find Your Magali

Quote from: Pedro the Wombat
Quote from: Chest RockwellI bet this will turn out to be some deep and meaningful pic in which she falls in love with the guy, but he's married or some such. So then she goes back in time and gets him as a boyfriend when they're young, thereby changing the ENTIRE future!

Because it has Andy Serkis?

Kal

Quote from: Find Your Magali
Quote from: Pedro the Wombat

Because it has Andy Serkis?

my precious jennifer

Fishbulb

I've seen the movie, and you're right, that's what happens. She wakes up 17 years in the future essentially, with no memory of what happened between the ages of 13 and 30. She finds out that stuff gradually throughout the movie. Eventually (SPOILER) she is able to go back and change things that happened when she was 13 and thus change her future. And no, none of this is ever explained in any way.

What bothered me about the timeline was that if the movie takes place in 2004, then 17 years ago would have been 1987. Yet in the early scenes she is listening to Michael Jackson's "Thriller" and fantasizing about kissing Rick Springfield. Now, correct me if I'm wrong, but "Thriller" and Michael Jackson were both kind of passe' by 1987. "Thriller" came out in 1983; Rick Springfield was definitely an early 80's thing too.

ono

What you have to realize about any studio movie is there is a huge gestation period.  Sometimes a movie can sit on the shelf for ten years before it gets made, and sometimes post-production can take ages.  So this movie may have been written a good while ago.  Just guessing.

Ghostboy

Harry Knowles brought up an interesting point about this, which is that teh story of a fully functioning 30 year old woman who suddenly reverts to the mindset of her 13 year old, barely pubescent self, with no memory of the years in between, would be a great setup for a comically disturbing movie. If you really think about it, that scene in the trailers with her boyfriend coming out of the shower could lead to something that, for her, could be considered rape.

Anyway, the best part about this movie is that her wish is achieved through magic wishing dust, found in a little envelope labeled 'magic wishing dust.'

El Duderino

SPOILERS GODDAMN IT.

What do you not get about SPOILERS? THEY SPOIL THE FUCKING MOVIE. BE SURE TO NOTE IT AT THE TOP OF YOUR POST. FUCK.

that's exactaly the movie. it was mildly cute.
Did I just get cock-blocked by Bob Saget?

Chest Rockwell

Well what an unpredictable movie.

Derek237

I hate Jennifer Garner. She's a terrible actress and annoying as hell. There's no way I'm seeing this movie.

...Yeah.