Music in Period Pieces

Started by AlguienEstolamiPantalones, June 26, 2003, 10:46:39 PM

SoNowThen

Can't remember, but I believe it's in Scorsese on Scorsese, when he talks about projects not yet done (because the book was published way before), he says that he and Jay Cocks conceived this crazy movie to bring the book to screen, and it's hardcore as hell, and they wanna use rock music, particularily this Clash song, that was to play as the battle ended, and then over the shot of the harbour (the one that kept getting higher and higher above earth)... if I remember correctly.
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

modage

Quote from: MacGuffinDon't you dare put that movie down. That is the Ray Sharkey's best film, based on a real manager. The music is so damn catchy, especially the end song with Peter Gallagher singing "However Dark The Night."

regardless of the performances, whoever composed the music should be shot! its horribly horribly out of place.  it doesnt even sound like they were TRYING to make it sound 50's.  laughably so.  other than the music, the movie was fine.

Quote from: SoNowThenCan't remember, but I believe it's in Scorsese on Scorsese, when he talks about projects not yet done (because the book was published way before), he says that he and Jay Cocks conceived this crazy movie to bring the book to screen, and it's hardcore as hell, and they wanna use rock music, particularily this Clash song, that was to play as the battle ended, and then over the shot of the harbour (the one that kept getting higher and higher above earth)... if I remember correctly.

yeah i remember reading that too.  im pretty sure its in scorsese on scorsese.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

AlguienEstolamiPantalones

Gangs to me is not what i was talking about, now had he used a depeche mode song during the billy bats scene in goodfellas then i would be pissed

he used donnovan, a perfect choice

it didnt comment on the scene and it was not even the type of music that those guys would listen to but

It set the mood and that is the most important thing to me

like jessies girl in BN Or island girl in storytelling

i rather a song set a mood then have it comment on the story

for example if PT Used a song that was about drugs killing your soul rather then jessie's girl, that would of been fucking cheesy and hack like

SoNowThen

Yeah, Atlantis might just be my pick for "perfect song for that specific scene" ever.
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

Quote from: SoNowThenYeah, Atlantis might just be my pick for "perfect song for that specific scene" ever.

and again thats why you fucking rock

you know what i mean about mood, that song takes that scene and lifts it to the heavons . I love source music but i do have my rules as i have said

but the rules force you to be creative, which is more fun

Boogie nights to me had a perfect soundtrack , and the music was all over the place

SoNowThen

Another two movies which I thought had amazing source were:

Radio Days (with all the standards.... Woody actually arranged the movie's narrative around the songs, if I'm not mistaken)

Raging Bull (the most subdued of Marty films in terms of music, but there's some wonderful stuff -- including the brilliant original fight announcers -- and the great jazz playing in the bg when DeNiro has Pesci punch him in the face, which I think was "Sing, Sing, Sing"... but I can't quite remember)

color of money,  everytime i hear one more night by phill collins i feel like its thursday night 1 37 AM and i am in a dark poolhall , in the middle of a great game

thats fucking great film making

Mesh

I think I remember hearing that Wes Anderson conceived scenes with certain Brit. Invasion songs in mind for Rushmore.

So, like, does Rushmore's use of non-period music bug you?  Probabaly not, because it's assumed to be 90s and all the music is 60s/70s, right?

Quote from: MeshI think I remember hearing that Wes Anderson conceived scenes with certain Brit. Invasion songs in mind for Rushmore.

So, like, does Rushmore's use of non-period music bug you?  Probabaly not, because it's assumed to be 90s and all the music is 60s/70s, right?

i love rushmores music, and the music in the royal tennanbaums

i said its ok to use songs from before that era but not songs from after that era

infact i would use a lot of old songs, i love finding obscure and weird old songs

its great when you find a album track from a big star , a song that is forgotten , or a cool old one hit wonder single

and you use it in a scene and re invent it

like " drivers seat" that song was forgettn about and pta took it and rocked the mother fucker

chainsmoking insomniac

Or "Spill the Wine" at the pool party scene in BN....gives me chills, so fucking great.

What effect do you guys think Jessie's Girl had on the firecracker/crack smoking scene?  Did it inject a surreal quality to the whole scene, or perhaps a kind of irony.  I don't know. For me, it definitely gave the scene a bizarre sort of kineticism.
"Ernest Hemingway once wrote: 'The world's a fine place, and worth fighting for.'  I agree with the second part."
    --Morgan Freeman, Se7en

"Have you ever fucking seen that...? Ever seen a mistake in nature?  Have you ever seen an animal make a mistake?"
 --Paul Schneider, All the Real Girls