There Will Be Blood - now with child/partner forum we call H.W.

Started by depooter, March 27, 2005, 02:24:56 PM

The Red Vine

Quote from: bigideas on February 01, 2008, 11:03:34 PM
woah....

i did have to have the question asking couple behind me on the left........any time pt had a quiet time for reflection, they did not reflect, they yapped.

no sooner did the final scene end did i hear, "that is the weirdest movie i've ever seen."

arggghh.

I heard the same comment during one of my viewings. Some people acted as though they were put off by the film's uniqueness. I saw the film again tonight, and as soon as the end credits came, a couple behind me said "well, at least we know what the worst movie ever made is." I've learned not to get pissed off with an audience like that. My personal experience with the film was wonderful, and that's what counts.
"No, really. Just do it. You have some kind of weird reasons that are okay.">

FrunLg

The reviews seem incredibly mixed, but just the other night i saw the film for the 3rd time in Austin late night, and there was this older couple sitting next to me, and as soon as the film ended the wife said to the husband, "whattaya think?" to which he replied: "That was impressive", which put a smile on my face. I don't think the younger folks, (excluding the xixax youngsters) for the most part, are much in tune with cinema, so a film like this is easily under-appreciated. Not to mention the evangelicals and the narrow-minded. But the elderly seem to have far more appreciation for the film, for the mere execution and technicality of it, let alone the story.

polkablues

Quote from: FrunLg on February 03, 2008, 06:42:20 PM
But the elderly seem to have far more appreciation for the film, for the mere execution and technicality of it, let alone the story.

I just wish they would stop sitting next to me and sucking on their teeth through the entire movie.

Also, 91% on Rotten Tomatoes suggests that the reviews are actually remarkably consistent.
My house, my rules, my coffee

FrunLg

yeah the teeth sucking hasn't happened to me, but understandably a pet peeve for any film-goer. Clearly there's a professional unanimity about the quality of the film, but the young people that i've seen it with show more disdain than praise, mostly because [EDITED FOR SPOILERS]... i don't, could be wrong.

polkablues

That's true.  Based on what I'm overhearing walking out of the theater, it's getting a mixed reception from the little cross-section of people that I'm encountering.  The critics are almost unanimous in praise, but the general public might be slow to catch up.
My house, my rules, my coffee

Gold Trumpet

My 14 year old review....

This film shocked me. I expected the world and got a really bad film. My essay about Magnolia wasn't to smudge Paul Thomas Anderson, but to paint a picture of a filmmaker who I thought was on his last leg of immaturity before growing up. I really did expect a flat out masterpiece here. Every part of the idea of this film seemed to be smart and thoughtful. Instead I watched the film with my jaw wide open and embarrassed. I tried to convince myself what I was watching was good but it just got more laughable. Then I lost all hope and started to concentrate on the million mistakes everywhere instead of just rationalizing them. Then the feeling of pure dread came in because I just wanted the film to end but I knew the ending was coming. It divided critics for being over the top and I just just just hoped it wasn't as ridiculous as the claims said it was. Eh, I was disappointed again.

If you think I wanted to hate this film, fuck you. I talked about how great of an idea this was since the beginning and when the poster came out, I dished out over $32 to just get the poster first and have it on my wall. After the movie I walked around the mall and kept thinking I still had not seen the film because what I had just seen couldn't have been it. I've been waiting so long that I still operated on the feeling I was still waiting but it did dawn on me what There Will Be Blood was and how awful I thought it was. It sucks because I'm going to have to trash that poster...

Yea, I explained nothing to what I thought, but I felt like a showing of my heart before I did go after this film with a proper critical evaluation.

Jeremy Blackman

Reminder --- this is a spoiler-free thread. Go here for all your spoiler needs. Let's avoid posting pictures here, too, unless it's a poster with a face on it. I think we all know what a spoiler is... but if you're not sure it's a spoiler, be on the safe side.

Pozer

Quote from: The Gold Trumpet on February 03, 2008, 11:56:05 PM
If you think I wanted to hate this film, fuck you.

i dont think anyone thought youd want to hate it.. knew you would hate it is a better way to put it.

Yea, I explained nothing to what I thought, but I felt like a showing of my heart before I did go after this film with a proper critical evaluation.

hmmm.  not sure if id want to read a proper critical evaluation from someone who says it's a 'really bad' film.  i dont think even those critics who are in the nay that you were referring to have said it's really bad.

so, GT... better or worse than magnolia?     

Gold Trumpet

Quote from: pozer on February 04, 2008, 11:47:56 AM
If you think I wanted to hate this film, fuck you.

i dont think anyone thought youd want to hate it.. knew you would hate it is a better way to put it.

OK, that comment bugged me originally so considering you didn't even read my essay on Magnolia at the time, how did you know I was going to hate it? I thought Boogie Nights was excellent, Hard Eight very good and same for Punch Drunk Love.

Quote from: pozer on February 04, 2008, 11:47:56 AM

hmmm.  not sure if id want to read a proper critical evaluation from someone who says it's a 'really bad' film.  i dont think even those critics who are in the nay that you were referring to have said it's really bad.

Such a weird comment. First off, I said critics were divided over the ending, not the whole film. And why wouldn't you want to read a critical evaluation from someone who says it's really bad? It's like me saying I wouldn't want to read an evaluation from someone who says it is perfect, but that's dumb. Are you going to extend that comment to just say you have little interest in what I can say? Considering your past comments about me, I wouldn't be too shocked.

I gave the film a far shake when I went into it and was depressed afterwards. My review wouldn't just be a slam fest. I really do think I can give the best comment for understanding the film. My piece about Magnolia was to highlight it in the context to which I believe it existed. Looking over comments here, I can see a certain mystery shrowds the film but I've seen this structure and stylization numerous times before. It's nothing new and worst, it was once considered generic. The comparisons to Kubrick are accurate, but the ones to 2001 are way off and I really hope to explore that. The sad thing is I was going full blast with another essay but I may drop that for now to take charge of this one. I just doubt it will be as long as the Magnolia piece. Fuck, I hope not.

Magnolia is better. It took on a tougher subject and really aimed for the skies. There Will be Blood just looks ambitious.

JG

please feel free to write as much as you think necessary because i know there's quite a few of us who would LOVE to read what you didn't like.

its the same with the salon review which a few of you hated on out of principle. i didn't think that was a bad review at all and reading it helped me formulate my own thoughts about why i like the movie. i almost never agree with GT but i think his reviews are getting more and more legitimate and fun to read. 

Pozer

Quote from: The Gold Trumpet on February 04, 2008, 12:27:04 PM
how did you know I was going to hate it?

i dont know.  TWBB just felt like one youd dislike.  that you would recognize nothing but flaws in it.  i actually thought youd not care for it, but never imagined youd say it's a really bad film.  or maybe i did but really didnt want you to on this one.   

Quote from: The Gold Trumpet on February 04, 2008, 12:27:04 PM
And why wouldn't you want to read a critical evaluation from someone who says it's really bad?

i just said 'not sure' if id read your evaluation as an immediate response.  of course id read it for sure.  but that immediate response of not being sure of wanting to really does come from the 'really bad film' statement.

regarding the magnolia essay: 

Quote from: The Gold Trumpet on January 07, 2008, 07:28:16 PM
FALSE IDOL
right away i :roll: and think 'here we go again.'  after reading it, i do respect this title. 

and here's what got me to want to read it:

Quote from: The Gold Trumpet on January 07, 2008, 07:28:16 PM
Why Magnolia isn't a great film
you could easily have written something more harsh there to make me not want to read on.  example: Why Magnolia is a really bad film.  truth be known, id still have read the thing but wouldve went into it thinking 'why am i wasting my time with this guy's constant hate on good movies?' 

i did like the essay a lot and could not figure out how to respond to it.  i found myself agreeing to quite a bit of it, and it actually got me thinking, 'has magnolia aged well w/me?'  ive rewatched it recently to show to someone who hadnt seen it, and it wasnt sitting well with me.  Dixon, the whole worm story in general, the music - especially that neverending piece, the dialogue, Melora Walters, the 82s, the structure etc.  ive felt this way about it for a while now, but watching it and hyping it up to someone with fresh eyes detached me from it more so than ever.   she loved it.  and in the end i sort of said 'see what i was sayin' but was feeling very empty inside.  i will always love magnolia for what it made me feel in 1999 and for what it made me feel on repeated viewings, but its flaws are more apparent and more in the way now.

i have much interest in what you (GT) hav to say.  im someone who comes here mostly to read the thoughts and views of others and occasionally will chime in with my own.  sometimes ill see a movie, love it and have no desire to write a single word about it.  id rather just see what others thought.  and that is ok.  sometimes i get upset when you come off (to me) as wanting to hate movies or not one who is capable of enjoying movies.  and i respond the way i do cuz i would want someone like you to feel the way i did about it.  and that might not be ok, but maybe it kinda is.  maybe it's alright that i get frustrated with your views and wanna jump inside GTs head and give him my brain for a few flicks...

but in the end, i respect your feedback very much.  who really cares how pozer responds to it?  he's just a pissy old man sometimes.  Ebert has been my favorite critic throughout my life.  i have love for him for the most intriguing reviews and essays he has written.  i cant tell you how many things ive read from him over the years where ive wanted to respond simply with 'eat a cock, Roger.'       

now i will disagree w/you over and over and over about Blood of course.  i would hope youd see it again and maybe take something more from it as opposed to just seeing it as something trying to be ambitious, but i doubt that will happen.  if anything, multiple viewings will prob make you dislike it even more.  and im guessing your future essay on the film will be titled: The Further Adventures of a False Idol - Why There Will Be Blood is a really bad film.

and i will be there to read it.   

tpfkabi

GT, since you starting visiting Xixax, have there been any films that you were excited to see and they did live up to your expectations?

I don't mean any popcorn flicks that ended up satisfying that type of expectation or exceeding it (you know, films you had little hope to begin with), more the art house type film.
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

Gold Trumpet

Quote from: bigideas on February 04, 2008, 02:58:40 PM
GT, since you starting visiting Xixax, have there been any films that you were excited to see and they did live up to your expectations?

I don't mean any popcorn flicks that ended up satisfying that type of expectation or exceeding it (you know, films you had little hope to begin with), more the art house type film.

Off the top of my head - L'Enfant, The Son, The Piano Teacher, Downfall, Spirited Away, Brokeback Mountain, When Will I Be Loved, The Constant Gardener, Sideways, Alexander Revisited, The Diving Bell and the Butterfly.

tpfkabi

Quote from: The Gold Trumpet on February 04, 2008, 05:25:25 PM
Quote from: bigideas on February 04, 2008, 02:58:40 PM

Off the top of my head - L'Enfant, The Son, The Piano Teacher, Downfall, Spirited Away, Brokeback Mountain, When Will I Be Loved, The Constant Gardener, Sideways, Alexander Revisited, The Diving Bell and the Butterfly.

That's interesting. I haven't seen any of those films, so I probably haven't visited the thread where you praised it.
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.