What Did You Think Of Matrix Revolutions?

Started by Cathartic Cleansing, October 15, 2003, 01:11:30 PM

Ghostboy

I loved the ending. It was as perfect a conclusion as there could be, in my opinion.

Banky

I just got back so my thought are still a bit cluttered.  I dont know what some of you wanted the ending to be but i liked it a lot.  I think it was a great conclusion and it rapped things up nicely.  I was also suprised at the amount of emotion it drew from me.  I guess i didnt realize how much i had invested in the movie.  I might go as far as too say this is the best of the trilogy but time will tell.  It is definantly better than Reloaded.  I can see how some might just not connect but reviews that say that it sucked are full of shit.  This movie is what makes going to the movies have a purpose.  I want somone to give the go ahead and start talking about the ending.  Im seeing it again tonight with a friend.  I need to talk about it though so once somone gives the go i say we start breaking it down.

The Wachowskis and everyone involved should be commended for putting together such a brilliant and epic series.

modage

PROBABLY SPOILERS

i found less wrong with it than the second one, where it got increasingly harder to watch without finding more stuff that was glaringly wrong with it, (not on purpose mind you, i bought the damn thing to enjoy it!)  but, still i dont know that i liked it any more than the last one.  this one didnt have anything that really bothered me, but it was still kind of bland.  i was surprised how little i felt for the characters as some big ones were dying.  i was just totally out of it.  the rain fight was fantastic and i loved the score there.  so was when they stormed the club to find the Merovingian.  so was monica belluccis cleavage (probably the best i've ever seen on film and so distracting i could hardly pay attention to anything else).  however, i thought the zion battle went on for too too long and there were a good 20 minutes or more there with no cutaways to neo or trinity.  whats up with that?  hardly any of the movie even took place in the matrix.  and most of the characters and crap introduced in teh last movie were hardly mentioned/revisited/followed up on in this one, so again what the hell was the point?  it seemed like the wachowskis had some good ideas, but just did not have time to work everything out into 2 good scripts.  i dunno, these two films are by far the biggest disappointment of the year for me.  such wasted potential.  and you would think that a huge budget, complete creative control and as long as you need would result in something equal or possibly better than the original?  *(sigh)
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Ghostboy

MORE POSSIBLE SPOILERS

I loved that the secondary characters took such precedence, though. It made the whole story seem bigger, and gave the conflict more weight. The battle for Zion was my favorite part (I didn't think it was overly long at all, but that's just me), and I'm so glad they chose not to cut back to Neo and Trinity during that sequence. If they had, it would have been like in The Two Towers, where you were totally caught up in this amazing battle, and suddenly...cut to the talking trees.

BIG SPOILER (swipe to read): I felt nothing when Trinity died, since it was sort of like deja vu from the last film. They should have saved it for this one, and left out the resurrection at the end of Reloaded.

godardian

Quote from: GhostboyI loved the ending. It was as perfect a conclusion as there could be, in my opinion.

Yes... I mean, I thought the ending was not entirely unexpected and seemed right for the apocalyptic/messianic tone of the "Matrix mythology." Are people having a problem because Neo and Trinity are apparently sacrificed/martyred to save the world? Or is it more specific- the oracle leaving it open for a sequel? I'm not sure I understand. It's entirely possible that my assessment is incorrect and I missed something that would disappoint a more zealous fan...
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

Ghostboy

Hey folks, let's be sure to label our spoilers until Friday or so. Anyone who cares about the movie will likely have seen it by then.

Banky

swipe to read with spoilers

i thought the ending was perfect.  That sunset said it all, hope for the futre.  And Neos line about because i choose to summed up the whole trilogy.  There is such a thing as choice and the machines were not in control.  why is everyone saying that the ending leaves everything unaswered.  Neo sacrificed himself.  The humans were freed and they must now try to live in harmony. I thought it wa spretty clear.  I mean i know it is uncertain what the future holds but it still has a clear cut ending.  I must admit i got a little teary when trin died.  Did anyone notice how neo was laying when he died.  it was like a cross.

coffeebeetle

Well this was definitely better than Reloaded, although it still doesn't come near the thrill I had of seeing the first one.  I think my biggest bone to pick with the last two was that I didn't really care about any of these people. I was sort've sad with Trin, I'll admit, but overall I just left the theater feeling very....empty.  The battle scenes were once again drawn out, you knew who was going to win, blah blah blah...the fight for Zion was pretty kickass though.  So once again, visually the film was superior to just about anything out there, but the story and depth of character was lacking.  I guess I should shut up: it is first and foremost an action flick.
more than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. one path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. the other, to total extinction. let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.
woody allen (side effects - 1980)

godardian

Hmmm... apologies for spoilers in previous post (and thanks to whoever fixed it). Just 'cos I don't care at all about plot-spoilers doesn't mean I can't be considerate of those who do, I suppose.

This would also explain why people aren't being much more specific about their problems with the ending...
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

modage

Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Banky

Quote from: themodernage02i wanna know what macguffin thinks

yeah im curious as well

edison

For the most part i liked it, but only three parts really got me excited and thoses were the "Coatcheck" fight, the Zion Battle, and the opening of the Neo/Smith fight, it did go on kinda too long. Oh yeah, and Mero., ,that guy is hilarious, wish he had more screen time.

Time will definately tell how this one will go with everyone, with Reloaded I really didnt like it but after another viewing I understood it and enjoyed it more, so this same is probably needed for this one.

Redlum

Swipe it:

I just didnt feel much at the ending. I mean - PEACE? How does that work? It seemed to me that the machines honoured a type of bet, where if Neo beat Smith then the war would end. Isnt this inconsistent with the mind of a machine. Shouldn't they be completely ruthless. I mean, the fact that they weren't ultimately, seemed to hinge on the discussion with the family at the train station. I cant see why they didn't just let Neo kill himself, and the carry on as normal and take Xion, or were they so dumb founded by his act of self-sacrifice. I'm not sure I understand it.

I LOVED the short flight above the clouds of the nuclear winter. Best bit.

Yes, I look forward to what MacGuffin has to be say about this too. His theories on these films have been very useful.
\"I wanted to make a film for kids, something that would present them with a kind of elementary morality. Because nowadays nobody bothers to tell those kids, \'Hey, this is right and this is wrong\'.\"
  -  George Lucas

Anachronism

I also felt incredibly empty after seeing it this morning, but that may have been a side effect of seeing at 6am.... I guess the feeling I have is consistent with those great book cycles you read and then all of the sudden you read the final book and are left feeling melancholy because your marvelous little world has been barred to you.

*********************S P O I L E R S***************************

Anyways I guess aside from the technical beefs I would have with this conclusion, Smith taking over the entire matrix and everyone within it and yet somehow everyone being resubmerged at the triumphant conclusion (or maybe I'm wrong and everyone is dead and the Matrix rebuilt is empty); Neo not having the power to heal Trinity so that their unborn child would live thus providing some glimmer of hope after taking out thousands of sentinel missiles; and of course the Merovingian getting tooled in his own domain by Trinity and her gun, what really bummed me out is that instead of creating a whole new take on life's nature they just fell back to the hindu/buddhist concept of yugic cycles. I mean knowing that in every scenario that there is a fixed beginning: The birth of Neo, and fixed ending: The reintegration to the source of Neo, we are left with the wonderful posit that while our beginnings and endings are pre-ordained at least we have choice in the interim. Where we do not understand the availability of choice, or the choices we have made we lack freewill. I mean it is like these two Wachowskis tapped directly into my brain and secretly stole my life philosophy, so for me I felt violated that the film ended this way. I had some naive hope that perhaps, just maybe this trilogy, ridiculous as it may seem, might provide me some insight into a functional ontology. I dunno it is my own fault I suppose for putting so much hope into the trilogy so that is pretty much why I am not such a fan of this third installment. Don't get me wrong it is still a fantastic film I just can't reconcile my intellectual expectations with its actual outcome. As ludicrous as this may seem I was hoping, praying that Neo would be God, or a god and through moksha (divine epiphany) transcend the constraints of the physical and escape the kharmic cycle via samsara. I wish this film hadn't borrowed so much from Eastern religion because then I wouldn't be forced to draw comparisons. Like I said in my other post; Cinematically the film was breathtaking as per usual however conceptually I felt hollow

ShanghaiOrange

IMO:

The Wachamacallit brothers pulled a Lucas. :(

Listen to the dialogue: every third line is a question.
Last five films (theater)
-The Da Vinci Code: *
-Thank You For Smoking: ***
-Silent Hill: ***1/2 (high)
-Happy Together: ***1/2
-Slither: **

Last five films (video)
-Solaris: ***1/2
-Cobra Verde: ***1/2
-My Best Fiend: **1/2
-Days of Heaven: ****
-The Thin Red Line: ***