Kill Bill: Volume One

Started by Satcho9, January 19, 2003, 10:18:06 PM

markums2k

Quote from: ©badminor spoilers.

u should have seen all the fanboys drooling at the 1:30 matinee this afternoon. i myself was drooling, esp. after that opening shot.

man did i dig this movie.

first thing to say, the photography. this is some of robert richardson's best work, if not his best. man, some of those shots!  esp. that long one reminiscent of the overhead shot in minority report. visually, the movie its stunning.

damn.

goes w/o saying that this movie is cool, the epitome of cool. and the coolest of all cool moments in it is the slo-mo walk of lucy lui w/ her posse. the crowd went nuts during that part.

i could go on and on- the anime sequence i didn't want to end, the hysterical interchange in the sushi bar, the beautiful exterior shots of the garden w/ the snow falling, the music... anyhow, its all chilling. im no good at movie reviews.

i dunno. my mind is a little fuzzy at the moment. perhaps after a second viewing and a day or so to think about it ill have a better understanding.

Your enthusiasm makes me all warm inside.  :-D

cine

Saw the film a couple hours ago. Best movie I've seen this year. The action puts the Matrix films to shame. When watching this film and how people move and then comparing it to how Neo bends backwards or soars around.. makes Matrix look really goofy to this. This was PURE fuckin' filmmaking and I couldn't stop thinking about that during the film. Tarantino at his directing best. Very, very simple story yet so incredibly compelling. That's what makes it a 4 star film.

Spoilers:

Vivica A. Fox's kitchen scene was fucking fantastic. It only scratched the surface on how brutal the film was going to be. I was actually expecting a cool knife fight scene at the ball park. Silly me. This Quentin fuckin' Tarantino here. The Samurai traditions is this film were so great, and the cool thing Tarantino did was, I guess sort of Americanize it in the speech.. when Bill tells Hannah's character that it would lower them to just kill her right there. God, I was so fucking into this movie. I'll probably type more later because all I can think about was the passionate filmmaking and the amazing score. Oh, and the credits were cool as he gave special thanks to Robert Rodriguez "My Brother" and Peter Bogdanovich, among others. Also an RIP for Charles Bronson and Japanese actors/filmmakers.. not sure who they were.. I'm seeing this again REAL soon.

Finn

This is a great movie! Easily Quentin's best since Pulp Fiction. It's extremly creative, artistic and just plain brilliant. All of the fight scenes are astonishing and yes, very violent. The animated sequence was probably the most graphic and very hard to watch. But some of the action scenes are very funny because they look so fake (hopefully that was the intention). Best movie of the year, can't wait for volume 2!
Typical US Mother: "Remember what the MPAA says; Horrific, Deplorable violence is okay, as long as people don't say any naughty words."

MacGuffin

Quote from: CinephileThe action puts the Matrix films to shame. When watching this film and how people move and then comparing it to how Neo bends backwards or soars around.. makes Matrix look really goofy to this.

So what you're saying is the same action/fight choreographer for both sets of movies topped himself with this film.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

prophet

whad you know about wrasalning pictures?
We gonna do a little Q&A Mr. Worley, and at the risk of sounding redundant please... make your answers Genuine...

ProgWRX

I saw it last night, and even though im not a huge fan of QT, i thought it was great!

I really enjoyed everything about it...

The cinematography in the kitchen scene looked like totally like Janusz Kaminski's work, almost as if it were a nod to his back-lit/blown highlights (i dont know if these terms are correct im just trying to describe how i see it). The pacing and editing is masterful, IMO. And i really loved the way the storyline was all over the place..
-Carlos

cine

Quote from: MacGuffin
Quote from: CinephileThe action puts the Matrix films to shame. When watching this film and how people move and then comparing it to how Neo bends backwards or soars around.. makes Matrix look really goofy to this.

So what you're saying is the same action/fight choreographer for both sets of movies topped himself with this film.

Yes. They're two different styles, and this one puts the other to shame. Obviously both were great jobs but I'd think people will enjoy the action in this more.

Ravi

I enjoyed it immensely, right from the opening ShawScope logo.  Even some of the background music is reminiscent of 1970s kung fu films.  I liked how Tarantino even referenced Pulp Fiction a few times.  I would have enjoyed a 3 hour cut.  Maybe volumes 1 and 2 will be available on DVD as one feature.

Was the black and white portion made that way to avoid an NC-17?

Finn

I'm not sure about that, but I know the animation sequence probably was because if it wasn't animated, it would get a very hard NC-17.
Typical US Mother: "Remember what the MPAA says; Horrific, Deplorable violence is okay, as long as people don't say any naughty words."

Rudie Obias

i'm think in march or so, many movie theaters are gonna show both vol. 1 and 2 back to back.  this wold be great!  i know that one theater by me is going to show all 3 lotrs back to back to back in december or january!!

KILL BILL is great!  i actually like it better than RD.  and i can't wait to see vol. 2.  i was glad to see QT give a nod to kinji fukusawu.  definately bloody as hell and not burnt to a crisp!

*rudie*
\"a pair of eyes staring at you, projected on a large screen is what cinema is truly about.\" -volker schlöndorff

Rudie Obias

Quote from: RaviI would have enjoyed a 3 hour cut.  Maybe volumes 1 and 2 will be available on DVD as one feature.

Speaking to British film site Empire Online, filmmaker Quentin Tarantino revealed some of his plans for the eventual DVD release of his newest opus, Kill Bill. Here's the word directly from the man himself:

"I'm thinking about it big time already," he said. "I can't imagine a better movie when it comes to great DVD stuff. I'm gonna really play fair as far as the DVD's concerned, you know? We'll come up with separate DVDs for Volume 1 and Volume 2 and I'll do special stuff for each of those. Then we'll come up with a real big version with them both together but I won't repeat the special stuff I put on Volume 1 and Volume 2. I'll do something whole other from that. I might even do some other little movie thing just to go on that special double feature version. I'm all about being a collector man. You know? Come out with all the different junk you can."
\"a pair of eyes staring at you, projected on a large screen is what cinema is truly about.\" -volker schlöndorff

Ernie

Wow, this movie kicked my fucking ass. I LOVED it!!! I seriously haven't stopped thinking about it since the end credits rolled. It surpassed my expectations in every way as cliche as that might sound. It was really much different than I expected to be honest, it was much more dark and serious. I figured it would be a little more cartoonish...I expected more blood shooting out of wounds and cheesy stuff like that. There was a bunch of that stuff of course...but not too much I don't think. Not as much as I was led to believe there would be. Which is good! Don't get me wrong, I didn't want a lot of that stuff! I didn't want too much of it at all actually. On top of the unexpected darkness it had, there was also this BEAUTY that was there, like in every frame...just this passion that never went away, you know!? Like in the music, THAT was fucking beautiful. I didn't expect ANY of it to be so beautiful. One of the best soundtracks I've ever heard, hands down. Um, then there was the constant energy. I literally jumped twice in the first 10-15 minutes of the movie...literally, almost out of my seat. The suspense killed me. I almost walked out of the theatre after a certain scene early on. I LOVED IT...but it was almost too much. I'm officially glad it was cut into two parts cause this was about as much as I could take. The Tarantino-ness was there, I saw it at least. It had that COOL feel to it, that just gave me chillls. I got chills all throught the movie, like I do with any great movie. It really fucked me up, I loved it....GREAT FILM...one of the best of the year! One of the best, KILLER endings I've ever seen...I'll say no more about it.

By the way, anybody else obsessed with finding more French-Japanese women??? God, that girl was fucking gorgeous. What a great, unique combination.

md

just saw kill bill in a very unpacked theater, granted it was at the 230 showing and its kinda a small town.  The movie is amazing.  simply put.  amazing.  This movie is an americanized japanese movie, with the humor, the extreme fake looking goriness.  The humor to this movie kept reminding me of austin powers.  The obvious physical humor that is.  Lucy lui is hot as hell.  Acting is great.  Dialogue is great.  Really just a well put together movie in general.
"look hard at what pleases you and even harder at what doesn't" ~ carolyn forche

Finn

I was kind of surprised that there weren't very many people in the theater when I saw it. I bet it'll be packed tonight. I'm looking forward to seeing how it does at the box office and how the audience will react to it. There maybe some walk-outs tonight, who knows? :?

Weak2ndAct

Well well well.  Just got back from the movie.  First thing I have to say is: that motherfucker is insane.  In a good way.  I have to see it again soon, mostly because I build up expectations and know too much going in-- then have strange reactions (Am I the only who does this?).  What I found most refreshing was that there was this feeling that at any moment, Quentin could do whatever he wanted.  And he did.  It breaks all the rules spectacularly.  
I've heard gripes about the famous Tarantino dialogue being absent.  Sure, it mostly is, but that's fine.   I kinda felt that KB is the exact opposite of Jackie Brown-- which is all talk, almost no 'action'.  People griped, Q turned the tables.
My only *complaints* are some seemingly needless scenes (the sake bit goes on too long, Michael Parks' scene), and I really wish we would have gotten the full color battle.  Oh well, that's just nitpicking.  But overall, I really enjoyed it.